Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2019, 10:02 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,033,994 times

Advertisements

Ah yes. The Google maps pictures for justification.

It's already been explained to you from multiple people my brutha. From the triangle and Charlotte. If after all that, a win to you is saying "ok they aren't the same, but they do similar things" then yeah sure you win. There's dozens of North Hills all over the state in that case.

Old 12-26-2019, 10:14 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,960,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
Ah yes. The Google maps pictures for justification.

It's already been explained to you from multiple people my brutha. From the triangle and Charlotte. If after all that, a win to you is saying "ok they aren't the same, but they do similar things" then yeah sure you win. There's dozens of North Hills all over the state in that case.
this, Greensboro has a smaller but growing urban pocket a few miles outside of Downtown, “Friendly&greene valley” mainly business,commercial and newer urban residential blocks, I’ve always wondered what an area like this was designated as.

But North Hills is what I would call a city within a city, North Hills is it’s own entity, almost like it’s not apart of Raiegh itself.

Last edited by YinXyang; 12-26-2019 at 10:37 PM..

Old 12-26-2019, 10:34 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,348,627 times
Quote:
There's dozens of North Hills all over the state in that case.
Agreed

Old 12-26-2019, 11:05 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,395,326 times
Quote:
No unfortunately not just like NHs. Southpark is more “walkable” and denser then Ballantyne currently, and North Hills is significantly more walkable and denser and self sustained then Southpark. They are all different developments and that’s ok. I’m sorry you didn’t see NHs for anything more then a town center but it factually is quite a bit more then that. The retail and restaurants might have that same look as the other town centers around both Charlotte and Raleigh but they are not the same.
Believe it or not. Ballantyne is more walkable than SouthPark IMO. You wouldn’t know looking at aerials and such. Ballantyne has plenty of sidewalks and pedestrian infrastructure. Of course. It’s mostly only useful for exercise and recreation (my last year in Charlotte was Ballantyne and I loved all the trails and greenways). If you do look up Ballantyne in google maps. You can see all the trails even within the parking lots. So many trails to each of the ponds. I had so much fun tearing up Ballantyne in a bike on the weekends.

Southpark. It’s more dense, sure. But there’s so much traffic and it’s so uncomfortable to walk as a pedestrian. And I get, some people will disagree but I am so set in my mind. Southpark is not at all walkable. And Ballantyne is at least making villages (toringdon, Etc) and connecting things by greenways and bike paths and big pedestrian crossings (the benefit of being built later).

And while Ballantyne doesn’t look like north hills. It shouldn’t be too much to plow through the parking lots and create a grid of some sort.

And on another note. Would you all just give up on North Hills discussion if It’s not development related. Charlotte doesn’t have a North Hills equivalent and Southpark will never be its I find it hard to believe some of you commenting on it have been to North Hills.

Those google street images sorta make the areas look similar. But piedmont in Southpark is a dead zone. North hills is usually buzzing with pedestrian activity. Plus it has nice amenities (Harris Teeter, Target) integrated in.

I mean. Mayfair in Wilmington is more interesting than Southpark as far as pedestrian and vibe (birkdale too. And toringdon village and bexley village) I’m not anti South Park. I like the area. It’s just not... a place I want to walk around. Especially compared to NH. What’s most important to me, is what is it like as a pedestrian. NH is a place I can enjoy a weekend on, stroll in Harris teeter, stroll to the dog park, concerts etc. SouthPark on the weekend. Who goes there to walk around? Lol

Last edited by Charlotte485; 12-26-2019 at 11:19 PM..

Old 12-26-2019, 11:23 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,348,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Those google street images sorta make the areas look similar.
And that was my only point, the areas do look sorta similar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
SouthPark on the weekend. Who goes there to walk around? Lol
You're preaching to the choir. I'm more so of a Plaza Midwood or Noda type myself. However, the question was what area of Charlotte was similar to North Hills. I prefer the central Charlotte hoods, but those areas were omitted from this discussion.

Old 12-27-2019, 12:05 AM

1,141 posts, read 1,033,994 times
@charlotte485

Interesting take and I guess I can see that point of view. Ballantyne more walkable in the more relaxing easy sense. I just meant SouthPark is more walkable in that at least it's more compact in design. Though I agree in reality it's just not meant to park and spend all day walking through.

@YinXYang

Yes I'm very familiar with the Friendly area in Greensboro as I have family that lives over there. We regularly talk back and forth loosely comparing/contrasting Friendly and NHs. It's a strength to Greensboro and an area I hope really keeps up momentum in developing. Hopefully they see the potential to turn into an even larger business district for the city and densify it a bit. More jobs out there and more places to live to pair with the shopping and restaurants and it'll really take off.

Old 12-27-2019, 12:29 AM

Quote:
@charlotte485

Interesting take and I guess I can see that point of view. Ballantyne more walkable in the more relaxing easy sense. I just meant SouthPark is more walkable in that at least it's more compact in design. Though I agree in reality it's just not meant to park and spend all day walking through.

@YinXYang

Yes I'm very familiar with the Friendly area in Greensboro as I have family that lives over there. We regularly talk back and forth loosely comparing/contrasting Friendly and NHs. It's a strength to Greensboro and an area I hope really keeps up momentum in developing. Hopefully they see the potential to turn into an even larger business district for the city and densify it a bit. More jobs out there and more places to live to pair with the shopping and restaurants and it'll really take off.
Definitely, friendly is a big strength and the new mixed use “ultra” luxury apartment blocks going up around the shoppes at friendly are a testament to that, creates a very nice urban pocket outside of downtown, as far as I know two mid rise hotels will be going up and two more apartment blocks, friendly definitely has that pedestrian feel as everything is centered around convenience, leaving your apartment and walking straight to the fresh market, Harris teeter or Apple and grabbing a bite at the cheese cake factory, P.F. Chang’s or somewhere else in close proximity without needing to drive. This is also the biggest plus In North Hills.

Greenevalley on the other hand is strictly corporate. But also houses proximity hotel and o Henry. The two areas really compliment each other.

Old 12-27-2019, 02:31 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,858,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT1985 View Post
All I know is Wilmington, Raleigh, Cary Durham, Greensboro, Wiston Salen, Fayetteville and Charlotte are all doing great development in their cities and all these cities are different. Each has something that the other cities do not have, .
You can add Greenville to the list. Its downtown has drastically changed in the past 5 years and is set to get 3 hotels downtown within the next 5 years, among other projects.

Old 12-27-2019, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
You can add Greenville to the list. Its downtown has drastically changed in the past 5 years and is set to get 3 hotels downtown within the next 5 years, among other projects.
Add kanapolis to that list aswell.

Old 12-27-2019, 08:25 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,440,107 times
CLT Development +
@CLTdevelopment
I think it’s weird I get so much flack for being pro Raleigh. If we are going to move our state forward, having two centers of gravity is vital. Georgia and Tennessee only have one, having two with different specialities, that’s pretty bad ass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina