Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2019, 03:48 AM

4,616 posts, read 6,451,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
I agree with you here and I grew up in Northern Va. Long Island, NY is the same in many respects.
As someone who now lives in NoVA, I would say that it’s not so much that Northern Virginians look down on North Carolina, it’s just that the two areas are so very culturally different. Mid-Atlantic identity has superseded and almost killed off any remnants of southern identity here. Yes, people recoil at any insinuation NoVA has any southern inclinations, but largely because southernness is so very faint here now. North Carolina actually had a pretty good reputation in the DMV, until republicans took over state government. The DMV has become very culturally and politically progressive, and the disdain toward NC is directly traced to its rightwing state legislature and cultural conservatism.

Also, gay Rights are viewed by many as a huge barometer as the indicator of whether a place is culturally modern and developed, and in that matter, NC is prominently backwater. There is a widespread national perception that NC is a very bigoted state, thanks to the events of this decade. A lot of people ask me about the persecution of lgbt people in NC when I mention where I am
From.

Old 06-22-2019, 08:23 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,404,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
NoVa isn't really Virginia. My cousins have lived in Portsmouth, Suffolk and Va Beach their entire lives. I've been going to D.C. all my life and my brother lived in Alexandria for 5 years. My first commercial flight was the 20 minute flight from RDU to National. My cousin and I, ages 14 and 13 smoked cigarettes during the flight in the rear smoking section of the 727.

Virginia is still considered to be a slightly more conservative state than NC in its government, regardless if it's people vote democratic.

That whole McCrory, conservative legislature being the focus of the criticism not Raleigh, Eastern NC, or Fayetteville getting new roads that no one uses is news to me!

And driving back and forth from NYC to Raleigh for 11 years and staying with friends in Arlington kept me fully up to date with D.C.'s revival, from the crime-ridden hell hole it was in the 80s.

NoVa may have a higher percentage of college graduates, but I'll bet that the Triangle has more Ph.D.s per capita.

You can think what you want about areas of NC, but the general consensus of all the newcomers (only 25% of Wake's 1 million people are natives) is that the Triangle is more Mid-Atlantic feeling than Southern, which I disagree with because I'm a native but....

Duke is highly respected in the New York region, probably because that's where the students are from.

And I couldn't care less what NoVa people think anyway, though half of them will be living in the Triangle 15 years from now, that another big source of Wake's newcomers.

I've lived all over the country and know how the states stack up with one another.

Y'all are the ones jumping around with misinterpretations of what I said about VA.

A normal response would have been, "Hey you're right. We are lucky to have so many professional teams considering they don't have any."

Anyone from NoVa would laugh at your delusions. That’s not saying they’re not delusional too. They would just dismiss Raleigh as being anything other than typical southern. People don’t view it as mid-Atlantic at all.

Duke isn’t that respected. People are more about Cornell, Columbia and many other universities. Duke is never mentioned outside of basketball. That’s not to say people dont know it or think it’s nkt a good school. But that’s just it. People think of it as a “good school.” On a national play field, it’s not really that prominent. I mean, not like it is on the Carolinas. It’s like I never knew Cornell or Columbia were universities nor really thought Georgetown was something. Now it’s like those schools are the talk of town.

NoVa is growing super fast. Faorfax County is much larger than Meck or Wake. Tyson’s is home to 5 or 7 or so Fortune 500 HQ’s, super high density and a huge employment hub. Not counting Arlington or other parts of NoVa. I’ve mentioned the Triangle plenty of times, with pride, about the education there. The response: “it is, but not like DC or Boston or anything”

And VA is light years ahead of NC as far as being less conservative. Anyone from outside of N.C. would laugh st such an assertion. Does California and NY still have a ban on government travel to NC?

My desk at work is full of NC stuff and I bring them back things from N.C. all the time. They love cheerwkne and cherry sundrop. When I’m away from N.C., I’m very pro-CLT/RDU.

Old 06-22-2019, 08:59 AM

4,616 posts, read 6,451,452 times
While I grew up in the Charlotte area and love it, some people in DMV do distinguish between Raleigh and Charlotte. I have noticed some people here have a more favorable view of Raleigh-Durham than Charlotte and the rest of the state. Yes, some view it as more of an “East Coast” or Mid Atlantic Area than Charlotte. I’m not debating whether they are accurate; only reporting observations. I have also noticed that Millennials and hipsters inquire a lot about moving to Durham or Raleigh, but not so much about Charlotte or the Triad. They want to know if the Triangle is progressive, but seem very disappointed when I tell them it’s very suburban and lacks good public transportation. Of course, Raleigh-Durham is significantly closer to DC, which makes it seem much less exotic to people in the DMV. Our weather forecasters even include Raleigh in their regional weather maps’ current conditions, whereas Charlotte is rarely mentioned.

However, I have noticed that African Americans are more interested and favorable toward Charlotte here.

Last edited by Tarheelhombre; 06-22-2019 at 09:17 AM..

Old 06-22-2019, 06:46 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,877,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Anyone from NoVa would laugh at your delusions. That’s not saying they’re not delusional too. They would just dismiss Raleigh as being anything other than typical southern. People don’t view it as mid-Atlantic at all.

Duke isn’t that respected. People are more about Cornell, Columbia and many other universities. Duke is never mentioned outside of basketball. That’s not to say people dont know it or think it’s nkt a good school. But that’s just it. People think of it as a “good school.” On a national play field, it’s not really that prominent..

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges...niversity-2920
Quote:
Duke University's ranking in the 2019 edition of Best Colleges is National Universities, 8

No Duke fan at all but I think being ranked 8th nationally makes it pretty prominent

Old 06-22-2019, 08:32 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,964,964 times
Took some time to go explore my future apartment home and get some photos of the ball park area progress. And then catch a game, With four more large construction lots to break ground on this intersection this year things are about to get very hectic very quick.

Bonus, found these gems tucked away.

Last edited by YinXyang; 06-22-2019 at 08:59 PM..

Old 06-23-2019, 06:37 AM

6,163 posts, read 7,241,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSOCitizen View Post
Took some time to go explore my future apartment home and get some photos of the ball park area progress. And then catch a game, With four more large construction lots to break ground on this intersection this year things are about to get very hectic very quick.

Bonus, found these gems tucked away.

Greensboro keeps this up and its going to get expensive really quick to live downtown so now is a good time to move in with leasing rates on average between $1,000 - $2,500 per month. That's still not cheap but compared to uptown Charlotte and downtown Raleigh that's a bargain. I live at CityView Apartments downtown and have been there since 2007 when it first opened. I'm currently paying below the leasing rates at that complex because I moved in when it was cheaper to live downtown. CityView is also owned by developer Roy Carroll and is the sister property to Carroll at Bellemeade by the ballpark. When CityView first opened in 2007, it was the first new apartment complex downtown and apartments started at $699 per month. Now apartments there start out at about $1,070 per month and that's just for the small studio apartments. The one and two bedrooms are more. I'm paying under $1,000.

CityView clubhouse. The complex actually has two clubhouses.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 06-23-2019 at 07:09 AM..

Old 06-23-2019, 07:38 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,964,964 times
Greensboro needs a skyhouse.

With the 16 story center pointe residential tower being sold out of it's 220 units. Greensboro should start looking at an alternative residential tower such as a Skyhouse.

Impressive considering it's 200.000 to 2.5 million $. I remember back Center Point barely had sny tensnts..

Or roy can build the 34 story phase 2 of center pointe since the needed demand has been exceeded. Possibly?

Carroll at bellemeade just opened and already two units are at 95% capacity, eventhough the CBD has the highest rental rates in the triad.

The city needs to speed up if it wants handel this demand and growth.

That's why i admire and love charlotte, they research it, figure if it'll work, then just build it. Plain and simple.

However, i will cut Greensboro some slack. They have not experienced this level of growth in over 30 years. So it's going to take time for the city to adjust to the current level, going from changing cute store fronts and small projects to building class A office and urban residential is completely day and night. So i will give it time to catch up.

But thank god they finally learned from Durham and Greenville on what takes a midsize city to the next level.

Last edited by YinXyang; 06-23-2019 at 08:23 AM..

Old 06-23-2019, 02:34 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,444,101 times
You ask how South Carolina counties next to Charlotte feel about Charlotte. Charlotte city limits stop at York county and Fort Mill SC

Rock Hill to Charlotte light rail momentum is growing. As for York County plans?'

On Monday night, interim county manager David Hudspeth outlined four small area plans to study. One is a light rail corridor. Two others, I-77 South and Dave Lyle Boulevard headed toward the Catawba River, could affect some of the properties a light rail path might take.

A fourth area, Lake Wylie, likely would be geared toward zoning and building rules affecting how residential properties develop. A light rail corridor plan could identify routes or promote certain development around them.

Small area plans, similar to overlays, are efforts to make land use, zoning, development and other decisions in a targeted area to promote county leaders’ vision.

The light rail idea has heated up in recent months with news the Carolina Panthers are building a practice facility in Rock Hill.

“We have not really identified where that route would be,” Hudspeth said. “We know where the old routes were considered. And I think logic would dictate where they would go. But there is a downtown Rock Hill component of it being considered.”

Hudspeth showed a 2006 map of light rail and bus rapid transit options from the Fort Mill-Rock Hill Area Transportation Study. That group makes funding decisions on federal money for the urbanized area including Rock Hill, Fort Mill, Tega Cay and much of the Lake Wylie and Indian Land. RFATS would play a major role in any light rail decisions for York County.

“That is something we have already begun discussions with Rock Hill, Fort Mill, and would probably be administered or managed by the RFATS group,” Hudspeth said.

Read more here: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/la...#storylink=cpy

South Carolina statistical areas
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_...tistical_areas

Last edited by CLT1985; 06-23-2019 at 02:50 PM..

Old 06-24-2019, 05:39 AM

7,191 posts, read 6,843,673 times
New hotels move ahead with plans - Rocky Mount Telegram

Old 06-24-2019, 06:24 AM

3,664 posts, read 3,948,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post

Duke isn’t that respected. People are more about Cornell, Columbia and many other universities. Duke is never mentioned outside of basketball. That’s not to say people dont know it or think it’s nkt a good school. But that’s just it. People think of it as a “good school.” On a national play field, it’s not really that prominent. I mean, not like it is on the Carolinas. It’s like I never knew Cornell or Columbia were universities nor really thought Georgetown was something. Now it’s like those schools are the talk of town.

NoVa is growing super fast. Faorfax County is much larger than Meck or Wake. Tyson’s is home to 5 or 7 or so Fortune 500 HQ’s, super high density and a huge employment hub. Not counting Arlington or other parts of NoVa. I’ve mentioned the Triangle plenty of times, with pride, about the education there. The response: “it is, but not like DC or Boston or anything”

And VA is light years ahead of NC as far as being less conservative. Anyone from outside of N.C. would laugh st such an assertion. Does California and NY still have a ban on government travel to NC?

My desk at work is full of NC stuff and I bring them back things from N.C. all the time. They love cheerwkne and cherry sundrop. When I’m away from N.C., I’m very pro-CLT/RDU.
I didn't say that NoVa people considered Raleigh Mid-Atlantic.

I said that's what the newcomers from the Northeast think about Raleigh. And this forum has plenty of threads in the Triangle sections confirming the sentiment.

If you are boasting about NC with all of your desk stuff, then their responses likely are more of a response to the interaction with you.

Some people could use their NC native status as some sort of credential that makes them hot sh8t like they're better, or broadcast it like everyone in the country is supposed to swoon.

Or you could be like me, and educate all my co-workers of its fabulousness in a respectful, humble, great admiration way.

If you're trying to sell NC like everyone does with Charlotte, that isn't the way to achieve cool-dem, it has to be much more subtle like you're not trying.

I know you're young, but NC has a very proud history for 200 years before these bathroom bill idiots took over. Anyone with any intelligence would have had some knowledge or opinion about the state before this past decade.

And NC is at heart, small town with small town mentalities. Gay people like me aren't in big enough numbers in small towns to be noticed or make our voices heard.

So the hundreds of small towns and cities all the way up to Charlotte still aren't forced to confront that aspect of the full package of "The facts of Life"

So it that small town atmosphere and Franklin Graham hating on us that makes NC one of the last bastions of homophobia.

Duke apparel is one of the most used on television and in movies outside the true Ivy League.

But during the 1993 March on Washington, cities and states held up signs showing the area they were representing and NC had the best designed sign in the entire country. While LA just had big He lvetica letters reading LOS ANGELES, NC had NORTH over top CAROLINA and the red aids ribbon served as the O in North and the A in Carolina.

Always a very progressive state prior to the changeover in the legislature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.