Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 10:35 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,396,460 times

Advertisements

Living 24 years born and raised in Charlotte. I can never recall people talking all willy nilly about church nor can I recall any regressive laws from 1992 to 2018 that were passed. Nor have I ever been victim of any crime or property damage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2019, 10:55 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,964,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Living 24 years born and raised in Charlotte. I can never recall people talking all willy nilly about church nor can I recall any regressive laws from 1992 to 2018 that were passed. Nor have I ever been victim of any crime or property damage.
Good for you. Must have been a nice run.

Old 04-23-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adriftinthebay View Post
You see what you want to see. Perhaps you harbor a hidden prejudice against the South that you cannot resolve. Someone asking you about church is trying to be friendly towards you, not attack you.

Hardly. When I’m told “people in these parts are religious so you better get right with that and find yourself a good church”, after I told this man to STOP harassing my 9 year old about joining his youth group I don’t think I’m harboring some hidden prejudice. Or when at work I was told “I don’t see how you can survive without our Lord and Savior in your life” after asking what church I went to, or my daughter being asked if she’d been “saved” by others in the homeschool group then being asked if she’d afraid of hell cause her mom won’t “let her find Jesus love”..... any of those feel like a hidden prejudice on my part?

Old 04-23-2019, 01:11 PM

257 posts, read 223,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Hardly. When I’m told “people in these parts are religious so you better get right with that and find yourself a good church”, after I told this man to STOP harassing my 9 year old about joining his youth group I don’t think I’m harboring some hidden prejudice. Or when at work I was told “I don’t see how you can survive without our Lord and Savior in your life” after asking what church I went to, or my daughter being asked if she’d been “saved” by others in the homeschool group then being asked if she’d afraid of hell cause her mom won’t “let her find Jesus love”..... any of those feel like a hidden prejudice on my part?
Yes. All of them.

Just relax and go with the flow -- when you stop hating things so much life is easier. Why let other people bother you? BTW I am not a part of any organized religion.

Old 04-23-2019, 02:10 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,408,997 times
Sweetbottoms experience sounds odd... I don’t doubt these things happened but I doubt they were intentionally rude or harmful things... she just chose to interpret them that way because of her own biases. Don’t look back crossing into VA! Now if you can convince all your other friends.

Old 04-23-2019, 04:49 PM

1,860 posts, read 1,247,757 times
Grew up in Goldsboro, spent my high school/teen years in Jacksonville and moved to NJ at 19. That was 13 years ago and I cant wait until the day i can move back home. Within 5 years I'll be back in the south. More space, less taxes and laid back. I'm so sick of the go go go atmosphere and the 9k in taxes on my 100x150 lot.

Old 04-23-2019, 08:05 PM

7,190 posts, read 6,827,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
Grew up in Goldsboro, spent my high school/teen years in Jacksonville and moved to NJ at 19. That was 13 years ago and I cant wait until the day i can move back home. Within 5 years I'll be back in the south. More space, less taxes and laid back. I'm so sick of the go go go atmosphere and the 9k in taxes on my 100x150 lot.
I grew up a few miles north of there in Fremont, though I have lived a few years in Goldsboro. We left and moved to Virginia 10 years ago because my grandmother wanted to be closer to her brother, who had lung cancer. She suddenly passed away a year before he died. That was 5 and 4 years ago, respectively. The last few years have been real tough, to say the least.

I still keep in touch with friends down there and visit when I can. We’re hoping to move back this fall, if all goes well. We would’ve already moved back sooner, if it had been possible.

Old 04-24-2019, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Sweetbottoms experience sounds odd... I don’t doubt these things happened but I doubt they were intentionally rude or harmful things... she just chose to interpret them that way because of her own biases. Don’t look back crossing into VA! Now if you can convince all your other friends.

I enjoy how everyone else has mentioned why they've left yet I'm the only one being ripped on for the reasons why we are leaving and how its CLEARLY all my fault. Evidently now I chose to interpret a kid asking mine if she's afraid of hell as rude due to my own bias... clearly EVERYONE just has good intentions here and I go through my entire life misinterpreting people telling me I better get right with religion and find myself a church. Because nothing says welcoming like "conform to the ways of people around here and fix yourself". Yes I see now..

Old 04-24-2019, 08:37 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,396,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Good for you. Must have been a nice run.

Yep. Gay Boy, White Latino. Open my entire life. People have pretty much been "Do what makes you happy." Churches participate in the pride events, some churches had rainbow flags painted on the doors.

You had a Mayberry experience, bless your heart, see ya'll in church experience. Ok. Choose different people to be around? It's a very Democratic city....

Old 04-25-2019, 09:17 AM

1,067 posts, read 624,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macdawgg View Post
You have to READ her posts she's done NOTHING but complained about NC since she's lived here. And wherever she goes she'll complain about that city/town as well.

She's well known on these posts as a person who comes across as 76 degrees is to hot and 74 she's freezing to death!
She did the same thing when she lived in a Naples, FL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina