Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 03:58 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,004,370 times

Advertisements

It should be noted that the FBI data does not use the traditional definition of the South. In addition to the eleven southern states, they also include the District of Columbia, Maryland, Delaware, West Virginia, Kentucky and Oklahoma. I'm really uneasy with the high crime cities of Washington, DC, Wilmington, DE and Baltimore, MD. being called southern.

Last edited by mm34b; 06-08-2006 at 04:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2006, 05:35 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,592,671 times
I'm sure those areas don't account for the majority of that data though. The most dangerious city in Amierca was pre-katrina New Orleans in 2005..... and Atlanta was not too far behind it. While it would probably make a difference in the numbesr, it wouldn't change it's rank.

Old 06-09-2006, 09:07 PM

232 posts, read 728,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR
Hi guys,

This is so funny that the Boston people are coming to NC! We were just in Mass. for 5 days. Loved the accents! But...I must say...the driving was SCARY! My parents are from NY and the MA people have them beat! But...you guys have the BEST New England Clam Chowder! And...in 5 days...I had lobster 3 times! We also visited New Hampshire and Maine. What fun! You folks coming from Boston are going to LOVE southern hospitality!!! Vicki
Yes I will say, whenever I go home for a visit, I am just amazed at the driving. I can really see a difference from living in NC for 2 years. I used to commute in the terrible traffic..and never noticed I probably had road rage in MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069
Did anyone see Groundhogs Day with Bill Murray? Well I had one of those days yesterday , staring with a huge tree branch (about 20 feet long) falling inches from my house in the back about 5am yesterday morning.

There's been non-stop rain, very similar to the near 10 days of straight rain we had 2 weeks ago. It's supposed to rain all the way through Sunday in Boston and surrounding areas with temps in the 50s and *maybe 60*. Oh well, I am happy to be in Detriot (b/c it's sunny and 62 degrees) and catching my connecting flight to Charlotte in an hour.

I hope this isn't a prediction of the type of summer we're going to have. Some of your Bostians may remember a few years back the year without a summer (where it was cold rainy and just miserable all the time). It was some time in the 90s.

Sorry for the rant, it *really* was one of the days (including my cab breaking down in the Sumner Tunnel).

Well it will all be right in a few hours!
Yes, I remember the rain. I used to commute on the Orange Line to PO square..and it was miserable

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
oh please. you think people in Nof Cawina talk any better than those in Bahstan? You think the north has more crime than the south? The Northeast has the lowest crime rate among the 4 regions of the US (Northeast, South, Midwest, and West), the south has the highest.
The North Shore of MA..(where I came from) are on the city data list of Top 100 safest places to live. Go check it out, all the towns are in MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billzfan
I used to commute from Lakeville to Marlboro - all of the way up 495 (57 miles one way) past the Mass pike to exit 24... Worked for Fidelity Investments in Marlboro at the time...
ME TOO!!!!!!!! Actually, my old coworkers are now moving to Cary, Raliegh-

They are closing one of the buildings in Puritan Way. And transferring about 5000 EEs out to Rhode Island and Raleigh

PS. My commute was 55 miles one way...

Last edited by Marka; 06-17-2006 at 01:56 AM.. Reason: merged

Old 06-10-2006, 08:18 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
I just heard on the news (Raleigh) last night that Boston was rated number 2 in the country for the worst drivers! Too funny. Don't get me wrong...I loved my visit there. I was just amazed by the historical areas and the homes fascinated me...I wanted to just knock on doors and see if the owners would mind showing me around! Well, we DO that in Raleigh and people are just happy to let us in! And I loved Salem. My husband didn't seem surprised by THAT...silly man! Vicki

Old 06-10-2006, 10:13 AM

You loved Salem huh? Witchcraft if is your thing? lol

Old 06-10-2006, 11:25 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,547,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
You loved Salem huh? Witchcraft if is your thing? lol
I was wondering if someone was going to say something abou t the history of Salem

It's so far in the past that it's really just post card material. Salem is a nice coastal town and has a lot of the quaint New England feel to it. Although I never really was to impressed with it...

Old 06-10-2006, 06:10 PM

143 posts, read 485,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069
a Mckee-Dees without the Arches? Isn't that one of the signs of the apocalypse?
Actually, I remember Fryeburg, ME (Home of LL Bean) having MCD's have no arches and have sit-down service in order to locate there . This was over 20 yrs ago...

Old 06-10-2006, 06:16 PM

143 posts, read 485,611 times
We got out right after the FIRST flood. Lowell, Lawrence and Haverhill were having probs. Lowell was flooded out all around the Merrimac.

We've been in Mebane now for 2 weeks as of tomorrow night. WE LOVE IT HERE. Temp today was 89, humidity not bad. Most of the locals have their central AC on but we still have our windows open (had to rescue the screens from the shed and wash them!). I am sitting on my deck right now at 8.15 PM on Saturday night with temp around 79, hummingbirds fighting over the feeder on the deck, having a sip of champagne to celebrate our great escape.

I didn't even have any of the worst commutes (I would've killed myself before commuting into Boston!) and my blood pressure is already lower!

The two complaints I have are: the cable service here is the pits (If you think Comcast is bad, think again and we are gonna get the dish guy out one last time to try to shoot through the trees), and (for us cat people) it seems that even the dogs have dogs.

Old 06-10-2006, 06:25 PM

192 posts, read 654,920 times
Williamsburg, VA doesn't allow Mickey-D's to have golden arches & they are brick as well.

Old 06-10-2006, 07:50 PM

Yes, I've heard of the same thing happening in other towns. Cary was just the first to do it and then many others followed suit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina