Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 11:24 AM

192 posts, read 654,920 times

Advertisements

bethany...you don't have to push an ATV across the road anymore...you are allowed to cross, while driving (of course a legal driver), but only for the expressed purpose of crossing a road.

Old 06-11-2006, 12:30 PM

Default they're heee-re!

I spoke too soon about lack of mosquitos/rain...jinxed myself! Just returned inside from deadheading the roses & the mosquitoes almost flew off with me! I'm scratching all over. We have a nice breeze but they're presence was still fierce. This is the first day like this & with all the rain, it was inevitable. Summers here! Let the hurricanes & mosquitos begin, on the coast!

Old 06-11-2006, 01:40 PM

787 posts, read 3,583,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydog
bethany...you don't have to push an ATV across the road anymore...you are allowed to cross, while driving (of course a legal driver), but only for the expressed purpose of crossing a road.

Well, that is good. I won't have to worry about it though. I wouldn't be caught dead on one. LOL

Old 06-11-2006, 02:33 PM

With that above said, let me also say that I really want those of you that move here to have a positive experience here. Part of that will be dealing with certain things that perhaps you view as odd or different. If you get stung by a bee while cleaning up the yard, don't be surprised to see your native North Carolina neighbor tear up a cigarette and put it to the sting to draw out the poison. Sound weird but snuff and tobacco work. So does meat tenderizer. I have also been more inclined to use things that come from the medical field. I have a book that states that horse urine is good for poison ivy. No thank you. Give me a good old tube of hydrocordisone cream any old day. If all else fails, I will go to the doctor and get some predisone. But a lot of people swear by these herbal and folk methods. And there is nothing harmful in them I suppose. I just don't see me going up to a horse and asking for his help in treating my poison ivy. I suppose these things were handed down by the families and while I am familiar with them, I went to nursing school and "got above my raising" if you will. I am what they call an educated hick down here. It is kinda nice to be on both sides of the fence. My grandmother was a midwife in her day. Not the kind that goes to school and is a nurse already but a good old fashion hillbilly midwife. I am kinda partial to taking my skills to the delivery room at a hospital and helping out there though. What I have found is some crafts are alive and well. When we went to Black Mountain back in 2001, we saw some of the most beautiful handmade quilts I have ever seen. We bought a wall hanging. But the real prize was left there since it was $500.00. Not that it wasn't worth it but we couldn't afford it at the time. If I ever go back though, I fully intend to visit this woman again. Most people that have arthritis can tell when a storm is brewing better than a meterologist. Seriously, the dampness causes increased pain. And more than likely they will be right. Just remember Bill Paxton in "Twister" and think instincts. School can teach you a lot but instinct plays a lot into it as well. Welcome to North Carolina and all the little things that make us what we are.

Old 06-11-2006, 03:04 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,004,370 times
There's a good series of books called "Foxfire" based on first-hand accounts describing the vanishing folkways and culture of the Southern Appalachian Mountains such as home remedies for various medical needs.

http://www.foxfire.org/ (a non-profit educational foundation)

Old 06-11-2006, 03:27 PM

Just a word to the wise...Skout will go back & edit his posts & change the wording...happened to me when he was banned before, when we tangled..the only way to beat that is to "quote" his original words, on your own post.

Old 06-11-2006, 07:49 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,033,385 times
Default Getting back to offroad vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethanytedder
There is a moped and a bicycle that you can ride on the public roads without a driver's license although I am not sure of the age requirement for a motorized moped.
You're probably thinking of the 49cc scooters (mopeds have pedals. there aren't many of those around anymore). NC law dictates that they can be ridden by 16 years and older riders without a license, though the same safety regulations apply (mandated helmets). Over 49cc and you have to get a motorcycle endorsement.

Those small scooters have been snickeringly referred to in the past as "liquor sickles" (sic) because people who had their car license take away because of DUI tickets bought them for transportation. Today, more people are buying them because they get 60-100mpg. Personally, I think they are future road splats.

Anyone who has lived in NC for several years knows we are a state notorious for ATV-related child deaths. The recent legislation was pushed because each spring was usually marked by some kid splattering itself across the landscape on one of those things. One pediatric site notes:

"Perhaps due to the lack of safety requirements, North Carolina has not experienced a reduction in ATV-related deaths and injuries. In the period 1999-2004, there were 157 ATV-related deaths in NC, of which 43 (27%) occurred in children less than 16. Of these 43 deaths, 22 occurred in children less than 12 years of age. • The number of all such deaths increased from 18 in 1999 to 34 in 2004. The number of such deaths in children less than 16 years of age more than doubled from 5 in 1999 to 11 in 2004. While just one such death occurred in children under the age of 12 in 1999, an average of four such deaths has occurred annually ever since . With the increasing popularity of ATVs in NC, these numbers are expected to increase significantly in the absence of statutory safety requirements.(The US Consumer Product Safety Commission ranks North Carolina 10th among the states in the frequency of ATV-related deaths.) • While definitive data on ATV-related injuries in NC are unavailable, an extrapolation of national data indicates that an estimated 10,800 such injuries required emergency room treatment in 2004. As with ATV-related deaths, a high percentage of these injuries are both serious and traumatic. "

Old 06-11-2006, 07:55 PM

My BIL knew a man in Wilmington that fell off an ATV and smash himself up against a fence and he died. As for the mopeds, they are used just as you said, for people that we have said "drank up their licenses." Well, it is thundering and lightening so I guess I will have to pick this up tomorrow. Good night all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina