Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2009, 08:11 PM

5 posts, read 9,929 times

Advertisements

I'm in nw Ohio, tired of the snow. hOW IN THE HELL DO i MAKE THIS HAPPEN? (Also considering SC).

I have vacationed in NC and SC and loved it !

I have a bachelors in a generic degree, with many years in professional general business positions.

I have networked with family in the area with no help, I have networked with DOZENS of people in my favorite hobby ( that has a multitude of member that I have contacted).....all have either not responded or have said the economy is too bad......they just don't want to help a stranger.

I am degreed, but my approach is that all I want is an entry level position.

Why won't anyone (with a similar interest) help me ?
Why wouldn't NC or SC want a professional business man ?

Due to the economy, I want to have Job waiting for me versus moving there and depleting my savings hunting for a job in this rough economy.

With my education and experience I could positively impact a company and at age 40 I have experience and energy to get things done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 08:40 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattP51 View Post
I'm in nw Ohio, tired of the snow. hOW IN THE HELL DO i MAKE THIS HAPPEN? (Also considering SC).

I have a bachelors in a generic degree, with many years in professional general business positions.

I have networked with family in the area with no help, I have networked with DOZENS of people in my favorite hobby ( that has a multitude of member that I have contacted).....all have either not responded or have said the economy is too bad......they just don't want to help a stranger.

I am degreed, but my approach is that all I want is an entry level position.

Why won't anyone (with a similar interest) help me ?

Due to the economy, I want to have Job waiting for me versus moving there and depleting my savings hunting for a job in this rough economy.

With my education and experience I could positively impact a company and at age 40 I have experience and energy to get things done.
Matt you have to understand...this is one of the top states people have relocated to the last few years. We have a glut of talented, degreed, credentialed, professionals here. Competition for jobs is very stiff. DO NOT for one second think of coming here without a job - I cannot stress this enough. The job market is brutal at the moment, and getting worse.

Now, all that being said, if you really want to make NC your home don't give up - start now plugging away doing everything you can to get your resume seen. It might take a year, but eventually I bet you'd find something. Good luck!

Old 02-04-2009, 11:11 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
I have to second what Loves said. And I hope you will be able to make your dream come true and head our way (or to SC). But this is a recession and this state has been hit hard. Unfortunately, many people w/ terrific credentials have lowered their expectations and are taking jobs w/ less pay - so those general business type positions are just not available.

It isn't you - and it isn't that others don't want to help - it is simply that we don't know how to help. People are scrambling for jobs here.

However, it won't be like this forever!!! Keep researching . . . but put the job search off for a year or so. Check things out first quarter of 2010. Hopefully, things will have settled down more by then.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:21 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,486,068 times
dont make it sound like people dont want to help you, or are trying to keep you out. the truth is the economy here right now IS bad. thousands of people have been laid off in the past month. you are not by any means the only one with a degree--and dont forget that this is the land of universities----there are degrees everywhere you turn.

Old 02-04-2009, 02:30 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,339,300 times
Quote:
......I have networked with family in the area with no help, I have networked with DOZENS of people in my favorite hobby ( that has a multitude of member that I have contacted).....all have either not responded or have said the economy is too bad......they just don't want to help a stranger. ..
You can't be serious

Old 02-04-2009, 02:59 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,209,220 times
Quote:
vacationing here and living here are 2 totally diff things. I have been many places I loved vacationing in that I wouldn't want to live in. Might want to consider that, for starters.

Quote:
I give up, what is a "generic" degree....

Quote:
Why would you expect people who simply share a hobby interest to go out of their way to help you with a job? Try online places like monster.com, etc.

Quote:
What the hell does that mean? You're being extremely vague.

Quote:
Then why are you only interested in an entry-level position? Plus some companies might think you're over-qualified...

Old 02-04-2009, 08:37 PM

316 posts, read 1,006,143 times
Quote:
Why wouldn't NC or SC want a professional business man ?.
Because we have plenty down here already?

We made the move from North Central Ohio years ago due to our company relocating....it is a great move and I don't blame you for wanting to make the jump.

There is opportunity here, but there is enough homegrown talent (my area of North Carolina has one of the highest educated populations in the nation - a mere BA is sort of common place) and transplants that no one is going to come knocking on your door begging you to come join them.

You are going to have to really narrow your focus to area, get creative in targeting jobs and selling yourself to get them to even consider you before you move down here, and in this economy, I don't suggest you move without one.

It's tough.....but you can't just assume your gonna be the big fish in the pond, you have to make yourself stand out a bit to even be looked at.

Old 02-21-2009, 09:28 AM

8 posts, read 170,657 times
Here is an inside way to get in touch with the owners of smaller companies that might not advertise. Check the Chamber of Commerce for each county. Some list businesses that areregistered with them. In the contact information you might find an email address. Email them your resume with what you are looking for. If they don't need you, then they can forward it to someone that may. It is time consuming, and requires patience, but I found it to be sucessful. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina