Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 08:58 PM

11 posts, read 26,050 times

Advertisements

I have a question about my husbands state health benefits. He has been with the state a number of years, I have been in real estate about 5 years and we recently married (March). His benefits are paid by the state and I have my own BCBS plan. Now that we are talking about kids in the near future we are trying to figure out maternity insurance. Since I would have to pay for 12 months of maternity thru BCBS before getting pregnant, using my plan is out of the question because we do not want to wait that long. So, we are looking at adding me to the state plan. We would be paying the premium of course. We are trying to figure out if there is a waiting period or if there are any restrictions to adding me to that plan a month or so before we start trying. We read that you had to do it within 30 days of getting married or a job change. I did just switch real estate companies, but I am not sure if that counts since I am tecnically "self employeed" i guess.

Any thoughts...sorry this was long winded!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 09:16 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,035,513 times
He should call his HR rep where he works, each place is different. When I worked at NC State, we could only change things, during the enrollment period and within 30 days of marriage, etc.

Leigh

Old 02-03-2009, 09:33 PM

3 posts, read 8,402 times
I'm pretty sure he can add you during open enrollment without any waiting period. However, open enrollment is Octoberish and it won't take effect until Jan. 1, so it looks like you'll have to wait a year either way.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:13 PM

502 posts, read 1,655,114 times
The State's health benefits calendar is actually July 1 - June 30, not Jan 1 - Dec 31 (that's vision and dental). Therefore he can add you during open enrollment which should come up in about April with an effective date of July 1.

I'm currently pregnant and on the State Health Plan. I doubt there's a waiting period, since you're just moving from one plan to another and not having a gap in coverage, but to be on the safe side I'd also suggest that he check with Personnel. You might also want to delay trying until after your coverage is effective just in case you run into any early complications. Good luck!

Old 02-04-2009, 04:51 AM

239 posts, read 1,092,617 times
Enrollment for the state is in October. It is only the primary holder switching jobs that allows for you (the spouse to be married, unless you just got married in the last month) to be added, not if you change jobs. I don't think there is a wait period for maternity.

Old 02-04-2009, 05:13 AM

770 posts, read 2,754,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayme78 View Post
I have a question about my husbands state health benefits. He has been with the state a number of years, I have been in real estate about 5 years and we recently married (March). His benefits are paid by the state and I have my own BCBS plan. Now that we are talking about kids in the near future we are trying to figure out maternity insurance. Since I would have to pay for 12 months of maternity thru BCBS before getting pregnant, using my plan is out of the question because we do not want to wait that long. So, we are looking at adding me to the state plan. We would be paying the premium of course. We are trying to figure out if there is a waiting period or if there are any restrictions to adding me to that plan a month or so before we start trying. We read that you had to do it within 30 days of getting married or a job change. I did just switch real estate companies, but I am not sure if that counts since I am tecnically "self employeed" i guess.

Any thoughts...sorry this was long winded!

If you enroll in the State health Plan within 30 days of employment. you and any dependents you enrol in the State health Plan will not be subject to a waiting period for pre-existing conditions. If you do not enroll when first eligible, you and any dependents you choose to enroll, may have a 12-month waiting period for pre-existing conditions. Once you choose your benefit option you may not switch plans until the next enrollment period. Also the coverage type you select i.e. employee only, employee-spouse, will remain in effect until the next enrollment period unless you experience a qualifying event. Qualifying events include changes such as birth, marriage and retirement.

The qualifying events pertain to the state employee only as I understand it.

There is a special enrollment for eligible dependents that lose their health coverage ( not just give it up to enroll with the state ) that allows for enrollment and waivers pre-existing conditions.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:59 AM

158 posts, read 472,936 times
If you're planning to get pregnant, make sure to sign up for a (STD) Short Term Disability plan before conceiving. Check to see if you're eligible under your husbands plan. This will pay a percentage of your salary to you while you are out. You can cancel the plan after returning back to work.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:13 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
The qualifying life event, marriage, gave your husband 30 days to bring you in outside of open enrollment as a timely enrolee.

I'd have this clarified by HR before exposing your family to an outrageously expensive non-covered condition.

Last edited by saturnfan; 02-04-2009 at 10:28 AM..

Old 02-04-2009, 10:02 PM

351 posts, read 1,194,691 times
Look carefully at what the state plan covers. I don't know all the details but I had heard from a friend that the state plan expects you to cover up $2000 for birth of a child if you are on the lowest monthly contribution.

Btw, I've never heard a pregnancy referred to as an outrageously expensive non-covered condition before. You're a real romantic saturnfan!

Old 02-05-2009, 10:38 AM

79 posts, read 313,600 times
I'd be second guessing switching to the state plan at all these days. The plan is going to be about $2 billion short of operating costs over the next two years and they're talking about cutting benefits and raising premiums on employees and their dependents in order to cover the gap. You may or may not come out cheaper sticking with your own BCBS plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina