Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 05:21 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,693,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmors View Post
I cannot comment on all of Virginia only Richmond where we lived for five years. We found Richmond to be very clannish. It is a city truly divided by the James river. The whole time I lived there people would ask "Do you live on the west end or the south side?". The blue blood Richmonders lived on the west end while the transplants seemed to be more concentrated on the Southside. Needless to say I found the Southside more to my liking. Also, North Carolina was the brunt of many jokes.
Richmond has always had many NC transplants. Before Charlotte, we were the closest major city. You know the three R's....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 05:34 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,342,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
We have plenty of sweet tea in Virginia, and Bojangles as well- mostly Bojangles is South and East of Richmond.

We have Southern accents in Virginia. They must have been DC people.
They are from Fredericksburg.

And yes there are Bojangles in southern VA, but not further north. We have to stop by Bojangles for my brother whenever we visit him. But I am sure there are more opening up all the time and hopefully for his sake one will be near him soon. And unfortunately a lot of places I go to in VA do not serve sweet tea, including places I have been to in Richmond. Many people I have met in VA (and elsewhere of course) think sweet tea is weird or gross

Old 03-02-2009, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleNC View Post
They are from Fredericksburg.

And yes there are Bojangles in southern VA, but not further north. We have to stop by Bojangles for my brother whenever we visit him. But I am sure there are more opening up all the time and hopefully for his sake one will be near him soon. And unfortunately a lot of places I go to in VA do not serve sweet tea, including places I have been to in Richmond. Many people I have met in VA (and elsewhere of course) think sweet tea is weird or gross
Thats not true. We love sweet tea !

I myself, wrote a song about drinking sweet tea , lol.

I grew up on it.

Um, we have sweet tea all over Richmond. Go to Joe's Market on Libbie Ave or Ukrop's Store- 2 large canisters of sweet tea

Sweet tea at Baker's Crust, Strawberry St Cafe, even the New York Deli!

Sweet tea at lest 80% of the restaurants too. Not everywhere, no. But I was out in Nashville TN and they didnt have sweet tea at one of the coffee shops. so..

In VA we give you a choice of sweet or unsweet.

Old 03-02-2009, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Thats not true. We love sweet tea !

I myself, wrote a song about drinking sweet tea , lol.

I grew up on it.

Um, we have sweet tea all over Richmond. Go to Joe's Market on Libbie Ave or Ukrop's Store- 2 large canisters of sweet tea

Sweet tea at Baker's Crust, Strawberry St Cafe, even the New York Deli!

Sweet tea at lest 80% of the restaurants too. Not everywhere, no. But I was out in Nashville TN and they didnt have sweet tea at one of the coffee shops. so..

In VA we give you a choice of sweet or unsweet.

Just my luck then?!?!? Or maybe they sense I am from NC? We have a choice in NC too My boyfriend likes to mix the two.

Old 03-02-2009, 05:55 PM

451 posts, read 1,564,945 times
Default Virginians

I live in the high country in the Watauga Co. area. We are close to the folks in Virginia that are near the mountains. I love Abington, Va. I have always been a junker (that's folks that love antiques and collectables) so I meet like minded folks from everywhere that there is antique malls or shops. Everyone I have ever met from Virginia seemed like good folks to me. But I usually don't meet a stranger. Never been to the Richmond area though. I have heard it can be snooty there but there are places anywhere that is snooty. If I go somewhere that I think is pretentious, it just brings the goofy out of me and I have fun with it.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:35 PM

127 posts, read 476,059 times
One of the biggest problems I had with Richmonders was their obsession with Richmond being the former capital of the Confederacy. I grew up in Savannah and have lived in Richmond, Atlanta, Raleigh and now Asheville and out of those cities I found Richmond to be the only city still fighting the civil war.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmors View Post
One of the biggest problems I had with Richmonders was their obsession with Richmond being the former capital of the Confederacy. I grew up in Savannah and have lived in Richmond, Atlanta, Raleigh and now Asheville and out of those cities I found Richmond to be the only city still fighting the civil war.
Now, that can be true. I think we have a cultural identity problem, being so close to DC and being labeled "Mid-Atlantic" .

Because we want to be like the epitome of a Southern town.

That being said, I have been all over the South, and I would say Richmond feels more Southern to me than Charlotte or Atlanta any day of the week.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleNC View Post
Just my luck then?!?!? Or maybe they sense I am from NC? We have a choice in NC too My boyfriend likes to mix the two.

Its probably you are at the wrong places. Most Richmond restaurants give you a choice of sweet or unsweet. If you ask to iced tea they will always ask you "sweet " or "unsweet"?

Also we have a lot more transplants now, and sweet tea is not as prevalent as it used to be. Especially up in NOVA.

Are you sure there aren't any places in NC that dont actually have sweet tea?

I have been to some. And being in Richmond- I feel we are more in tune with NC anyways, since it is so close by.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:02 PM

127 posts, read 476,059 times
Quote:
Now, that can be true. I think we have a cultural identity problem, being so close to DC and being labeled "Mid-Atlantic" .

Because we want to be like the epitome of a Southern town.

That being said, I have been all over the South, and I would say Richmond feels more Southern to me than Charlotte or Atlanta any day of the week.
I would agree with that.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Not that I am aware of. Not saying it isn't so, but I or someone I am with have never been turned down for sweet tea. I have lived in NC for almost 22 years and haven't experienced that, lol. I couldn't imagine a place having just unsweetened tea here.

Quote:
There are many transplants here too (including me), and luckily that hasn't affected our sweet tea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina