Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 11:51 AM

194 posts, read 325,699 times

Advertisements

Prior to Bev Perdue taking oath as Governor for NC- our nation was already in an economic crisis. Lehman had folded, the housing market changed and the first part of the bail out funds had already been given out to failing banks.

When Governor Perdue was campaigning - she had no idea that NC would end up receiving over $ 735,000,000 from the first part of funds from the American Recovery and Reinvestment act (ARRA).

NC schools don't seem to have improved since the NC lottery started in 2006- dispute the fact that reports state that the lottery has had over $ 3 Billion in sales.

Why are NC schools suddenly having record hiring freezes and cutbacks? We are still paying our taxes and the lottery funds are pouring in.

Why is Governor Perdue having such problems addressing the needs of NC - when she has received so much unexpected funding from the ARRA ? What were her plans before she took office?

Governor Perdue talked about ensuring that 100% of NC's Education Lottery profits went to education. Now she is taking over $ 85 Million in funds out of the education lottery funds to set aside for other bills.

Exactly what makes the situation for NC this bad- when we are getting so much assistance from the Recovery Act Funds?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 12:02 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awakening Escapade View Post
Prior to Bev Perdue taking oath as Governor for NC- our nation was already in an economic crisis. Lehman had folded, the housing market changed and the first part of the bail out funds had already been given out to failing banks.

When Governor Perdue was campaigning - she had no idea that NC would end up receiving over $ 735,000,000 from the first part of funds from the American Recovery and Reinvestment act (ARRA).

NC schools don't seem to have improved since the NC lottery started in 2006- dispute the fact that reports state that the lottery has had over $ 3 Billion in sales.

Why are NC schools suddenly having record hiring freezes and cutbacks? We are still paying our taxes and the lottery funds are pouring in.

Why is Governor Perdue having such problems addressing the needs of NC - when she has received so much unexpected funding from the ARRA ? What were her plans before she took office?

Governor Perdue talked about ensuring that 100% of NC's Education Lottery profits went to education. Now she is taking over $ 85 Million in funds out of the education lottery funds to set aside for other bills.

Exactly what makes the situation for NC this bad- when we are getting so much assistance from the Recovery Act Funds?
I haven't the energy or time to answer you other than to say, I hope the people who voted for her realize eventually what they did to us all

Old 03-10-2009, 12:03 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,522,660 times
Because the NC Education Lootery is and always has been a shill to pick pocket more money from the citizens of NC. Education is just the excuse, as who can condemn a new revenue source for education.

In essence it is a new revenue stream, a tax on the bad at math if you will, for the general fund, the initial reason it was implemented in the middle of the night.

Old 03-10-2009, 12:56 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I haven't the energy or time to answer you other than to say, I hope the people who voted for her realize eventually what they did to us all

I concur with your assesment

Old 03-10-2009, 05:06 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,527,746 times
Quote:

Exactly what makes the situation for NC this bad-
Not defending the governor, but "we" are not all still paying our taxes. With record unemployment, individual income tax revenue is decreased. With people driving fewer miles, gas tax revenue is decreased. With businesses closing, tax revenue is decreased. With stocks and other equities at a level lowest in over a decade, the state will not be receiving much, if any, in the way of capital gains taxes. The NC Lottery has not yet produced revenues equal to preliminary projections. The housing market isn't exactly the cash cow for property taxes and tax transfer stamps it once was for local gov'ts (think school systems). Get the idea?

Old 03-11-2009, 08:37 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,724,200 times
Quote:
$3 billion over 3 years = $1 billion/year in revenue

About 30% of that goes to primary education, so that's roughly $300 million per year spread over 100 counties.

Quote:
How do you define "pouring in" ?

New Hanover County's education budget is about $250 million per year. If lottery funds were distributed equally among NC's counties, that would only be an additional $3 million for New Hanover every year. I don't think it is distributed equally, but regardless, the lottery doesn't generate enough revenue to warrant a measurable increase in our state's educational performance - especially not within 3 years.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:23 PM

2,766 posts, read 5,520,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Dito. Some voters never learn. They go and vote straight party line instead of reading about the different candadates.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:03 AM

158 posts, read 472,771 times
Quote:
Why is Governor Perdue having such problems addressing the needs of NC - when she has received so much unexpected funding from the ARRA ?
I would tend to think that this is because we are in a global recession. It appears that you don't understand the impact this has and will cause on local, state, and federal government levels. Let me explain.

The bottom line is that our different levels of government are losing lots of money and are severely under budget. Read roadpony's post if you need an explanation of 'why'. Regardless of how much 'federal aid' we receive, as a state we're still under budget. Our state hasn't laid off employees yet, which means budgets need to be cut. When budgets are cut, usually the first thing that 'needs' to happen are hiring freezes. If it becomes clear that enough money can not be cut out of the budgets, layoffs will occur. Please understand that this would happen regardless of who is in office as once again, this is a 'global' recession.

Old 03-13-2009, 12:24 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,210,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
Not defending the governor, but "we" are not all still paying our taxes. With record unemployment, individual income tax revenue is decreased. With people driving fewer miles, gas tax revenue is decreased. With businesses closing, tax revenue is decreased. With stocks and other equities at a level lowest in over a decade, the state will not be receiving much, if any, in the way of capital gains taxes. The NC Lottery has not yet produced revenues equal to preliminary projections. The housing market isn't exactly the cash cow for property taxes and tax transfer stamps it once was for local gov'ts (think school systems). Get the idea?
I question whether those things added up even approach the ~$3.7B (assuming the numbers in the OP are accurate).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
$3 billion over 3 years = $1 billion/year in revenue

About 30% of that goes to primary education,
Where's the rest going?

And did the Gov really promise to dedicate all (or nearly all) of that to education?

Old 03-13-2009, 01:34 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,724,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
Where's the rest going?
Well, in order to have a lottery, you have to pay out some money. About 50% of it goes to pay lottery winners.

About 15% of it goes to "cost-of-sales" (I think this is the lottery administration), and to retailers.

Also ~3% goes to college scholarships.

Quote:
And did the Gov really promise to dedicate all (or nearly all) of that to education?
Bev Purdue? I don't know. I haven't been paying attention.

I lived in South Carolina when they started the South Carolina education lottery. A big reason SC did it was because Georgia had one, and South Carolinians were driving across the state line to play the lottery so kids from Georgia could go to UGA for free.

A few years later, sure enough, North Carolina decided that it didn't want people from NC funding the SC Education lottery so SC kids could go to USC and Clemson for cheaper.

NC started one, but kids in NC already go to public colleges for very cheap (considering the quality you get.) So it appears that they decided to devote most of the money toward capital improvements and teachers for high schools, elementary schools, etc. in certain districts.

I agree with a previous poster, it is a tax on people who are bad at math. I think it would be fitting if lottery profits went to fund elementary math programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina