Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 07:42 AM

93 posts, read 698,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelbee
$2.00 movies are downtown in Hickory
Years ago when I lived in Conover we used to frequent a $2 theater that was in Newton. I'm not sure if it is still there...

It was starting to be in pretty bad shape so the owners left the lights low even before the movie started.

One night we were watching Indiana Jones & the Temple of Doom and several bats began to fly around the theater almost on que!
It was a really cool effect! We all felt as if we were in the "Temple of Doom" right alongside Indy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2006, 11:52 AM

73 posts, read 309,042 times
Hello,
I live in Hickory, and I think its a great place to live. If you are considering living on the lake, I have information that could help you if you are considering building a home. Our city is not over populated, you can reside
in the city, or there are many rural communities around close by. Fourty five
minutes to the mountains, four hours to the beach. Lots of friendly folks here.

Old 10-04-2006, 11:12 AM

17 posts, read 54,963 times
I've been looking at the Hickory area and found a lot of reasonably priced houses. However, there must be a reason. What part of hickory is a good area to buy a house for a single mother with children. I don't want to live in the city but need neighbors around for my children. Schools are crucial. It seems one part of Hickory is less expensive (near the armory?). Is this a bad section of town?

Old 10-04-2006, 05:36 PM

3 posts, read 11,888 times
Hickory also has Frye Regional Hospital and Catawba Hospital. There are a lot of great physicians in the Hickory area.

Pam

Old 10-04-2006, 06:19 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,381,249 times
What would ya'll say about jobs in that area for a photographer and someone in electronics? Any ideas? Could we get a nice home for under $100,000?

Old 10-05-2006, 08:23 AM

51 posts, read 194,646 times
Hi, we are looking into W. NC for a move from CNY, soon. A childhood friend of mine lives near hickory so Ive been researching the area. We are looking for rural with close prox. to grocery stores and are not really city people and would like to farm some land. We are looking for a small laek and mtn views with mod. temps. If you would care to tell me about your area, Id love to hear from you. In particular, Id like to know the climate, bug population, and atmosphere. We are in our mid 40's and like privacy but also a social life with friends nearby, just not on top of me. Is there land to be had for reasonable prices and is the scenery mts or not?

Id love any info you have on this area, incl climate. I will email you so you can send pics to me directly, if thats ok. Thanks for being so open to helping others looking into the area. I would like to know about the climate since thats the main reason for moving from CNY, plus our taxes in this cty are ranked 3rd highest in the entire nation! yuk We are looking for rural but within a couple miles of a grocery store, friendly, mild climate (hot summers, no snow winters) and friendly people to share a good times with.

netzero.com? or .net?

Last edited by Yac; 10-05-2006 at 02:50 PM.. Reason: merged

Old 10-05-2006, 02:52 PM

40 posts, read 182,384 times
If anyone wants to email me... I live in Mountain View just outside of Hickory(only 10 min from downtown Hickory). I am a new resident here, but might be helpful because I would be a good unbiased person to ask things like...shopping, food, restaurants, peolpe, jobs, and so on.

Old 05-17-2007, 03:02 PM

5 posts, read 34,772 times
Hi there,

We are also looking to relocate. We are looking for a family-oriented town, that has a small feel to it, but is loaded with shops, and everyday stores such as Lowe's/Home Depot, Walmart, a downtown area. We are in our 30's with 2 kids. I am wondering if someone would be so kind as to help me with a ton of questions I have for the area and what would be recommended for us to visit/research to move to.

Old 05-18-2007, 12:24 AM

1,502 posts, read 4,084,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giarose View Post
Hi there,

We are also looking to relocate. We are looking for a family-oriented town, that has a small feel to it, but is loaded with shops, and everyday stores such as Lowe's/Home Depot, Walmart, a downtown area. We are in our 30's with 2 kids. I am wondering if someone would be so kind as to help me with a ton of questions I have for the area and what would be recommended for us to visit/research to move to.
Sure, what exactly do you want to know? By the way, Hickory has all you are looking for already.

Old 05-18-2007, 06:39 AM

219 posts, read 965,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
Years ago when I lived in Conover we used to frequent a $2 theater that was in Newton. I'm not sure if it is still there...

It was starting to be in pretty bad shape so the owners left the lights low even before the movie started.

One night we were watching Indiana Jones & the Temple of Doom and several bats began to fly around the theater almost on que!
It was a really cool effect! We all felt as if we were in the "Temple of Doom" right alongside Indy!
We were there in January and the Newton movie was $3.00

Melissa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina