Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 12:04 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,704,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
With the extensions they are following through more & more. I have several people comment that they are been asked to provide *proof* and their search.
As they should be doing.

Old 08-03-2009, 02:28 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,730,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johne482 View Post
How does one rise from the fustration that must set in after so many rejections or "no call backs"? How do you set the bar a touch higher each day so as to not lose hope?

Do you have a regemented program set for the day? Do you belong to help groups? Or, do you give up and put your mind in another place?

I'm thinking how I would do it and can't conceive how it's done after a few months of being out of the labor force.
One of the things I did was to watch the attached slideshow of how tough things were back in the 1930's...

http://www.city-data.com/forum/busin...epression.html

Once I saw how easy we have it today (even those out of work), for some reason that really motivated me to find anything to survive....

Old 08-03-2009, 04:47 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,436,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by figpucker View Post
The unemployment office does verify information on what seems to be a random basis. I have to appear tomorrow and bring all my work contact records. I have been pretty good about keeping records but I have 2 three week periods where I don't have anything on record. The first, in Feb. and I can't get old records due to a hard drive failure on 7/9/09. And of course this month. I am mortified. I have not even looked. I moved on the 11th and with no pc or phone for employers to contact me at...well... I let it slip
Anyone ever been to one of these reviews?
In my office, if you're asked to show up for an eligibility review appointment and don't have the proper documentation, they'll disqualify those weeks which you can't provide the documentation. This may mean an overpayment is set up on your claim for those weeks.

Old 08-03-2009, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
I was on unemployment for a few months about 4 years ago and these are the exact questions I was asked ^^^^
As I understand it, sometime in the near future the last question will change from the simple "Were you available for work" to something like "Were you able and available and looking for work at least twice a week, and keeping track of your work searches as directed by the Commission?" My wording is not exactly correct and I think I'm leaving something out (can't remember what was exactly in the memo), but the point is, if anyone answers YES, they better be able to substantiate it.

Old 08-03-2009, 04:56 PM

5,296 posts, read 5,243,321 times
Great, continuation of creating a welfare state....52 weeks is long enough for unemployment benefits...as much as the gov't is wasting as it is, I can't believe they would continue to sanction lazyness...just reading some of the above posts makes me sick...how can you not be doing everything you can to find a job (any job) just to get off taking gov't money for nothing? My god, when I was unemployed 5 yrs ago or so, I was doing everything possible, applying to all jobs posted on all the websites, and in the paper, and driving around and putting in applications anywhere I saw help wanted signs...I basically worked each day of the week trying to find employment like it was my job...I know times are tough, but I'm tired of having to subsidize so many out of work people who continue to do just the minimum to keep their entitlements...52 weeks is long enough for unemployment benefits to be paid...it really sickens me that the unemployment office isn't watching everyone like a hawk that is receiving money for nothing from them...

Old 08-03-2009, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteCharlotte View Post
Dude just lie
Dude, that's fraud.

Old 08-03-2009, 05:02 PM

5,296 posts, read 5,243,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdljr View Post
Dude, that's fraud.
Yes it is, and I would hope someone like that would investigated and prosecuted for defrauding the taxpayer.

Old 08-03-2009, 05:42 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,707,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
Yes it is, and I would hope someone like that would investigated and prosecuted for defrauding the taxpayer.
OR, yanking our chain. I'm not quite sure yet, b/c the posts are not believable. IMHO.

Old 08-03-2009, 05:48 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,619,995 times
One should have to take a drug test to get unemployment bennies.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:32 PM

43 posts, read 134,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
Great, continuation of creating a welfare state....52 weeks is long enough for unemployment benefits...as much as the gov't is wasting as it is, I can't believe they would continue to sanction lazyness...just reading some of the above posts makes me sick...how can you not be doing everything you can to find a job (any job) just to get off taking gov't money for nothing? My god, when I was unemployed 5 yrs ago or so, I was doing everything possible, applying to all jobs posted on all the websites, and in the paper, and driving around and putting in applications anywhere I saw help wanted signs...I basically worked each day of the week trying to find employment like it was my job...I know times are tough, but I'm tired of having to subsidize so many out of work people who continue to do just the minimum to keep their entitlements...52 weeks is long enough for unemployment benefits to be paid...it really sickens me that the unemployment office isn't watching everyone like a hawk that is receiving money for nothing from them...
I have been looking for work but I can't do just any job. I can't speak more than one language nor can I do any of the jobs that require heavy lifting or labor. This leaves out most service jobs. There are plenty of nurses jobs posted with Bayada but I can't do that either. And sadly, as I am sure this will cause problems....being an older female doesn't help. I went to CPCC for 3 semesters while I have been unemployed but it isn't helping. I would much rather have a paycheck and be around other people doing something creative and constructive. I'm sure there are plenty of folks who are just kicking back but everyone I know that has been unemployed for quite a while wants to work. It's sad that employers look down on long gaps as this is a barrier as well. You don't know everyone's circumstances so why do you judge so easily?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina