Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 07:46 PM

201 posts, read 968,141 times

Advertisements

OK. I'm from NY...and thinking about moving to southern NC. I REALLY hate the heat....I don't care for NY summers all that much and very much look forward to it being over....Is it really that much hotter in NC???? Believe it or not, that's a big hang up for me right now...Thanks to all !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2007, 07:57 PM

577 posts, read 1,901,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moremoremore View Post
OK. I'm from NY...and thinking about moving to southern NC. I REALLY hate the heat....I don't care for NY summers all that much and very much look forward to it being over....Is it really that much hotter in NC???? Believe it or not, that's a big hang up for me right now...Thanks to all !!!
If you dont like the summer in NY you dont want to come here. I have worked outside for over 40 years, in the months of July and Aug do any outdoor activity early or late in the day because some times its hard to breath it gets so hot. It seems like it has been hotter the last couple years. went fishing in the pamilco sound last aug and turned the boat around got back in the ac it was brutal.

Old 05-20-2007, 09:26 PM

653 posts, read 2,704,272 times
Minimum and maximum temperature averages for January and July covering the major geographic regions and cities of North Carolina.

Southeast Regional Climate Center: Historical Climate Data for North Carolina (http://www.dnr.sc.gov/climate/sercc/climateinfo/historical/historical_nc.html - broken link)

Not sure how that compares to New York.

Old 05-20-2007, 09:45 PM

29 posts, read 219,454 times
And something else to factor in is the humidity. It can vary across the state. When I visited both Charlotte and Raleigh last summer, I noticed that Raleigh seemed much more humid than Charlotte although I think the actual temperature was slightly cooler in Raleigh. It was harder (for me at least) to be outside for an extended period of time in Raleigh. Thank goodness for A/C!

In my own limited experience, comparing the week that I spent in the NYC area a few summers ago and the week I spent in NC last summer, NC was hotter. But also, I imagine that NC summers are hotter than NY summers, if only because NC is farther south.

Old 05-20-2007, 10:41 PM

787 posts, read 3,582,709 times
The humidity is what makes it feel so hot here. It can actually be hovering around 98 degrees with a heat index value of 108. It isn't uncommon at all to reach 98 degrees in May although I don't think we have done it this year. I sure know we did it in 2000 when my daughter graduated from college in a never ending outdoor ceremony. Blistering day that none of us have forgotten.

Old 05-21-2007, 05:08 AM

402 posts, read 2,210,665 times
Yes, it is HOT, HOT, HOT here! We recently moved north (and my husband was born and raised in NC) in part because of this reason. If you don't like the heat, then don't come this way!! But as someone pointed out....it probably won't be as bad in the mountains...if that is an option for you.

Old 05-21-2007, 06:14 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,473,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moremoremore View Post
As people have mentioned, the humidity makes it feel worse. In addition, the summers are long.

Old 05-21-2007, 07:58 AM

223 posts, read 1,065,184 times
As previous posters have said, summers are long and hot, and it is the humidity that makes it so uncomfortable. And the heat usually starts sometime in April. That said, we are loving the weather the past couple of weeks due to the low humidity. Anyone who visits the Triangle area now will be "tricked" into thinking this is typical of May but it definitely is not. Usually by this time of year we are already running the ac non-stop and the heat and humidity are in full force. We've been able to keep the windows open at night of late and the house is actually cool in the morning! Totally atypical for mid-May, but not complaining!! (We've lived here a long time so I base these statements on many years of experience...) Some people like heat/humidity though, so it's very subjective.

Old 05-21-2007, 02:29 PM

954 posts, read 4,376,599 times
I lived in NC for 12 years. 5 years in Western NC and 7 years in Eastern NC.
I now live in NYC. Our summers here are nothing compared to NC. Up in the high mountains is not as bad, but the further East you go, expept right on the coast, the worse it is.
We lived in the Coastal Plane for 7 years. Four months of god awful heat and humidity. I mean, take your breath away. I had an old Tobacco farmer tell me once, "when you step outside in the morning, and the sweat pops out on your forhead and it is hard to breath...that tobacco is lovin it."
If you think NYC is hot in the summer, you definately don't want to move to NC, unless you move up in to the higher elevations of the mountains.

Old 05-21-2007, 03:26 PM

201 posts, read 968,141 times
Thanks guys...I appreciate the info. I'm very bummed out...I'm not sure I could handle that heat...But it's better to find out NOW
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina