Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 12:15 PM

351 posts, read 656,651 times

Advertisements

This is so interesting and I guess I never really thought of some of the things the natives are saying. Well, I've lived in NW GA since I was a teenager and have been dying to get out since the day I got married, 21 years ago. DH has never been on board until recently. We live 40 miles NW of Atlanta and I hate the area, cannot stand driving into that mess in Atlanta and there's not enough entertainment, jobs, or shopping up this way. Can you blame me for wanting to move closer to Charlotte? ;-) NC has a alot of draw for me-wanting to stay in the south, mountains to the west, beach to the east. The only other state I would be willing to live is TN, but alas, no ocean. We have been up there to see everything too. Gotta say, Raleigh sure didn't look overpopulated to me, but that's how it looks when you compare it to what you see in Atlanta.

It's very possible we will be headed up this summer, actually wanting to move to the Fort Mill/Tega Cay area of SC for cheaper cost of living. I can promise you one thing though, I won't say how things are done in GA. I am more than ready to leave this state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 02:06 PM

16 posts, read 25,118 times
I was born and raised in North Carolina, and I still live here. I am proud to say that I am a native and, honestly, no it doesn't bother me that people are relocating here. I only have a few demands for those who relocate, and they are: don't tell me that the way you did it where you moved from was better, if it's that much better then move back, don't be rude and unkind, you live in the south now, we are friendly people, don't come here with the attitude that you are better than us, smarter than us, or more civilized than us. Yes, there are some uneducated, unrefined, and uncivilized people here, but they live everywhere. If people come here, are decently friendly and kind, and try to make an honest living, then I have absolutely no problem with people from other areas of the country moving here. I just hate the rude, snobby people who move here and immediately begin to disparage everything from North Carolina and the south in general.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:48 PM

113 posts, read 180,850 times
I moved here almost 5 years ago from Vermont, and I before I came here I made the decision to fully assimilate into the culture. I hate northern culture and I count my blessings that I was able to leave that rat's nest that is the northeast. When I came here I threw away all of my New England Patriots and Boston Celtics clothing and replaced them with Panthers, Tar Heels, and Checkers clothing. For me, moving to NC was a fresh start. I love southern culture and I married a NC native. Whenever someone gives me the "This is how we do it up north" attitude, I really want to just hog tie them and put them on the next bus to New York City. They make all of us transplants look bad!

Old 05-31-2011, 09:13 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex Vermonter View Post
I moved here almost 5 years ago from Vermont, and I before I came here I made the decision to fully assimilate into the culture. I hate northern culture and I count my blessings that I was able to leave that rat's nest that is the northeast. When I came here I threw away all of my New England Patriots and Boston Celtics clothing and replaced them with Panthers, Tar Heels, and Checkers clothing. For me, moving to NC was a fresh start. I love southern culture and I married a NC native. Whenever someone gives me the "This is how we do it up north" attitude, I really want to just hog tie them and put them on the next bus to New York City. They make all of us transplants look bad!
I like you.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:43 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,395,326 times
No, it doesn't bother me. I love seeing North Carolina grow because I see us growing in the right direction.

What bothers me is people who come here and don't like the way we do/say things. Especially when they correct they way I pronounce something In my Home state where I've been born and raised. If a Native corrects the way I talk (Which generally only tends to be English Teachers), I don't really mind. But when Transplants correct me, it tears my nerves up.

I type much more proper than the way I talk casually. I also know when to put on a fake standard accent with proper grammar usage when in a professional environment or talking to elders or in Church. My Casual vocabulary is;

"Ain't Got None"
"Done did it"
"Ain't Never..."
"Thang" instead of "Thing"
"Them Over There"
"Why Ya'll always..."
"I Ain't Never Not heard of..."
etc. etc. etc.

I also can't stand Transplants who say how much better New Jersey (or wherever they came from) is better than here. Talking about (And loving home) is one thing, but putting us down is another. But I find myself to enjoy transplants and found that most love it here and I have no problems at all with transplants. We're (mostly) All Americans. From the Same Country (for the most part)...

Last edited by Charlotte485; 05-31-2011 at 10:01 PM..

Old 06-02-2011, 06:14 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,676,402 times
long answer short... yes, it bothers me

its nothing against the people who are moving here, but rather the urban sprawl and seeing areas that were farmland or woods that i played in when i was a kid being turned into a strip mall or cookie cutter development.

Old 06-02-2011, 06:56 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suedonym View Post
long answer short... yes, it bothers me

its nothing against the people who are moving here, but rather the urban sprawl and seeing areas that were farmland or woods that i played in when i was a kid being turned into a strip mall or cookie cutter development.
Yeah. Same here.

I like (most) of the people I meet who are new to the area just fine.

I do feel sad when I remember all the trees and farmland and wildlife that used to be in an area that's now got a gawdy, ole Pulte development right on top of it... those houses will probably look like crap in 10 years...

*sigh*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina