Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 12:13 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roloff1976 View Post
Williston DOESN"T HAVE more than 50 oil company offices? Uhhhmmmmm....there are over 375 oil services companies with offices in Williston. You must not know where to look. lol but glad you found a job.
Sure, there might be that many company's that have a presents. But how many can be contacted for a job? How many are in the yellow pages, or even in the paper? How many can a reasonable person, driving into town, pick up a phone book and be able to contact or visit with a resume? A hell of a lot less then 375. Am I not correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 01:29 AM

182 posts, read 478,449 times
Some have a smaller presence and only go by word of mouth with family and locals. No listings as they don't need to list.

Old 09-30-2011, 06:32 AM

2,609 posts, read 4,361,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Sure, there might be that many company's that have a presents. But how many can be contacted for a job? How many are in the yellow pages, or even in the paper? How many can a reasonable person, driving into town, pick up a phone book and be able to contact or visit with a resume? A hell of a lot less then 375. Am I not correct?
I just counted the help wanted ads in The Shopper, 163 of them, the majority for oilfield companies and advertising multiple open positions. Currently 49 help wanted ads in the Williston Herald (but it's been mentioned on here numerous times that The Shopper is where to look). A job search on jobsnd.com for Williams County pulls up over 2,000 jobs.

Oil companies cover 2 1/2 pages in the Williston area ONLY phonebook. I'm not going to count them all but there are 3 columns across and at a minimum 40 addresses per column.

So... how many companies can a person reasonably contact in person in Williston when looking for a job? I think it's safe to say at a minimum they could contact over 100 companies if they needed too. BUT if you can't find a job when applying for the first 5-10... then I think that is someone who is possibly unemployable. For instance, someone who can't pass a drug screen is going to have one heck of a time getting work up here. When I worked at the staffing agency there were other types of people we wouldn't hire as well. These would be people who would complain about the application process... if you can't handle filling out a little paperwork what makes me think you can handle the stress of working a tough job? People who had an attitude will NOT get work up here. And sure, when you're talking to them outside an office setting they might gripe about how hard it is to work, but when they walk into that office they start making demands on how much they are worth - even if they have NO experience. A crappy attitude will get you nowhere in this town (except possibly chased out). There are more, but most these jobs have you working in a setting where you will be working with a crew. If you show signs off the bat that you're difficult to handle then you won't find a job. These companies don't have the time to coddle people up here, and that's what some people need.

Old 09-30-2011, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimka03 View Post
Lol. Because if this company didn't hire me I was pretty much out of options. Willisson doesn't have more than 50 offices for oil companies. I guess its all about the way you present yourself. I talked to guys that have been here a while and haven't found a job. If you so come here be ready for multiple random drug tests
I find it incredibly difficult to believe that in the short time you've been here you contacted every single place advertising that they had available work. Unless, of course, you didn't sleep at all and spent every single moment of your time filling out applications.

Like I've already pointed out, there is easily over 100 oil companies that you could have applied too. I took the time to count, in my head I could come up with the locations of over 50 different oilfield offices in town. To be entirely honest, I do think it's in the way you present yourself and if, on your second or third day up here, you already had the woe is me attitude then it's no surprise a job wasn't just handed to you.

Old 09-30-2011, 12:17 PM

81 posts, read 202,760 times
When I said its about being presentable I meant being humble and asking for a chance.

Old 09-30-2011, 08:22 PM

581 posts, read 2,215,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
I just counted the help wanted ads in The Shopper, 163 of them, the majority for oilfield companies and advertising multiple open positions. Currently 49 help wanted ads in the Williston Herald (but it's been mentioned on here numerous times that The Shopper is where to look). A job search on jobsnd.com for Williams County pulls up over 2,000 jobs.

Oil companies cover 2 1/2 pages in the Williston area ONLY phonebook. I'm not going to count them all but there are 3 columns across and at a minimum 40 addresses per column.

So... how many companies can a person reasonably contact in person in Williston when looking for a job? I think it's safe to say at a minimum they could contact over 100 companies if they needed too. BUT if you can't find a job when applying for the first 5-10... then I think that is someone who is possibly unemployable. For instance, someone who can't pass a drug screen is going to have one heck of a time getting work up here. When I worked at the staffing agency there were other types of people we wouldn't hire as well. These would be people who would complain about the application process... if you can't handle filling out a little paperwork what makes me think you can handle the stress of working a tough job? People who had an attitude will NOT get work up here. And sure, when you're talking to them outside an office setting they might gripe about how hard it is to work, but when they walk into that office they start making demands on how much they are worth - even if they have NO experience. A crappy attitude will get you nowhere in this town (except possibly chased out). There are more, but most these jobs have you working in a setting where you will be working with a crew. If you show signs off the bat that you're difficult to handle then you won't find a job. These companies don't have the time to coddle people up here, and that's what some people need.
Well said!

Old 09-30-2011, 09:57 PM

81 posts, read 202,760 times
Okay

Old 10-01-2011, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimka03 View Post
When I said its about being presentable I meant being humble and asking for a chance.
Yes, well please address anything else I said. Like if you actually applied to the over 100 job listings in the shopper. Exactly how many places did you take applications too? Exactly how many days were you here before you thought you'd just give up and were on your last leg?

Like I said, the people who can't find work up here are unemployable.

Old 10-01-2011, 04:31 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
Like I said, the people who can't find work up here are unemployable.
Yep, I just read an article from CNN about Williston.

The manager of the Taco John's there said that they've only turned away one applicant in a year because he looked "too scruffy looking", so those unemployable people are definitely out there (he's just one example, but I'm more than sure there are countless others. As an occasional hiring-manager myself, you wouldn't believe some of people that walk into our company looking for work ).

Old 10-01-2011, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Yep, I just read an article from CNN about Williston.

The manager of the Taco John's there said that they've only turned away one applicant in a year because he looked "too scruffy looking", so those unemployable people are definitely out there (he's just one example, but I'm more than sure there are countless others. As an occasional hiring-manager myself, you wouldn't believe some of people that walk into our company looking for work ).
When I was working as a staffing manager, some of the people were flat out scary looking.

Just the other day a guy walked into my work looking for a job. I don't think he realized we were a state government office, not an oil company. Anyway, he was wearing jeans that barely fit, had a flannel shirt on but didn't bother buttoning up all the buttons so I got to see his stomach hanging out over his jeans and way too much of his hairy chest, he was missing teeth and he had facial hair that wasn't maintained at all. It was so gross.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota