Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 09:32 AM

1,193 posts, read 2,390,808 times

Advertisements

Sarge just commented last week; not recent enough for ya?

You're doing the right thing by renting. Your commute might end up bothering you more than your surroundings, so it's good that you're not buying right away.

I don't know APCP at all; just what I read on this forum. I tend to think folks see what they're predisposed to see. If they have biases, they often let those biases color what they perceive. I'm sure there are great areas in that community, and likely some rundown spots as well.

If you go in with an open, positive mind and an ounce of common sense -- anywhere -- you will be fine.

That doesn't mean to ignore warning signs, like abandoned properties, graffiti, trash lying around, gunfire, vagrants lying on the ground with needles sticking out of their arms

I doubt you'll see that, but obviously, let your instincts be your guide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 01:01 PM

1,322 posts, read 3,474,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettingouttahere View Post
Sarge just commented last week; not recent enough for ya?

You're doing the right thing by renting. Your commute might end up bothering you more than your surroundings, so it's good that you're not buying right away.

I don't know APCP at all; just what I read on this forum. I tend to think folks see what they're predisposed to see. If they have biases, they often let those biases color what they perceive. I'm sure there are great areas in that community, and likely some rundown spots as well.

If you go in with an open, positive mind and an ounce of common sense -- anywhere -- you will be fine.

That doesn't mean to ignore warning signs, like abandoned properties, graffiti, trash lying around, gunfire, vagrants lying on the ground with needles sticking out of their arms

I doubt you'll see that, but obviously, let your instincts be your guide.
I think you captured my thoughts exactly! Nicely said.

This topic often gets derailed by accusations of unfair prejudice and that is not always the case.

Last edited by talloolla; 09-02-2014 at 01:05 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 09-02-2014, 08:15 PM

104 posts, read 189,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaware Davy View Post

Either you've been very lucky; or, in the alternative, we've been very unlucky.
I think you've been very unlucky. You and your wife have been the victims of an extraordinary amount of crime, IMO. I do not think your experiences are typical of the Poconos. I don't even think your experiences are typical of the average resident of many large urban cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaware Davy View Post

If you follow the Pocono Record I will assume that you already know about all the: auto thefts, kidnappings, molestations of shoppers, shootouts, and murders in and around the East Stroudsburg WalMart's always active parking lot - Yes! (On my way through this lot I've even seen people snorting dope and shooting up!)
That section of Stroudsburg/East Stroudsburg is like Wild West City!
I have heard that anecdotally and agree WalMart is creepy. However, I have read the Pocono Record daily for the last year and a half and never read about any crime at the WalMart. I've read about very little crime, period, in the Pocono Record.

Most of what I've read is break-ins to empty homes, maybe 2-3 in the entire region per week. The Pocono Record reported that an iPhone was stolen from someone's gym bag one day. If there were shootouts, kidnappings, auto thefts, etc., I assume it would make the paper, and at least since mid 2013, those kind of stories have been nearly non-existent.

Just sharing my experience here...I keep hearing about all this crime in the forums but somehow it doesn't make the papers and I don't hear anyone in my community talking about it.

I was warned via the forums that summer time was when all gangsters would come out and the neighborhood would change completely with drug deals in the streets, loud gang parties all night, houses and cars get broken into constantly, etc etc...Labor Day has come and gone and thankfully none of those predictions materialized. The Poconos was a lovely, quiet, peaceful place to spend the summer.

Old 09-06-2014, 07:06 AM

472 posts, read 779,200 times
I have read the last few postings on the Tobyhanna/APCP/Walmart issues and they are all spot on. If you are moving by all means check out the area. Different strokes for different folks. Biggest Downfalls of Tobyhanna are the winters, vehicle is a MUST and high closing costs on cheaper homes. There are some places in APCP that have bank owned homes run down to being un-repairable. The community can only contact the banks and HOPE they send someone out to take care of them. I do know most fall on deaf ears.

BEAR, BEARS and more BEARS.... These beast are out in full force and the last month I have seen 10x's the amount of bears I've seen in the past 4 years. Though they are awesome to see and usually very non confrontational anything that is bigger and badder then me i stay away from.

Seriously though I am off Monday-Friday from now til October if anyone is really interested in finding out about APCP I'd be happy to show you around and point out what I feel is good and bad about the place. Once again my opinion you have a right to your own.

Never had any problems at Walmart or any other Mt. Pocono business. There is an occasional person with a sign sitting quietly on the side for a handout. I have never been approached by a person asking me for anything. Once again nothing like dodging people at every intersection in larger cities in the metro area.

Lastly Pocono Farms recently had a serious incident with a man taking a machete to his wife and son. Reasons unknown this is a tragic incident. This should never happen anywhere but it did. Another black eye to the town of Tobyhanna. This is my town now and crime of this nature is not acceptable to me and there are no excuses. As a community all we can do is pray for the families health both physically and emotionally and hopefully the police will soon capture the person responsible and give him a lifetime behind bars to pay for this crime. I pray everyone in Pocono Farms East recovers from this tragedy and pulls together for eachother during these trying times. I know in my neighborhood in APCP we are all checking in with eachother making sure our neighbors are safe. I mean this is all we can ask of our neighbors, everybody is concerned for the next person. No matter where you live these things can happen. Your neighbors are your first line of defense and I'm so lucky I have good ones.... People have a great weekend....

Old 09-10-2014, 07:59 AM

3,979 posts, read 2,354,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge621 View Post
Lastly Pocono Farms recently had a serious incident with a man taking a machete to his wife and son. Reasons unknown this is a tragic incident. This should never happen anywhere but it did. Another black eye to the town of Tobyhanna. This is my town now and crime of this nature is not acceptable to me and there are no excuses. As a community all we can do is pray for the families health both physically and emotionally and hopefully the police will soon capture the person responsible and give him a lifetime behind bars to pay for this crime. I pray everyone in Pocono Farms East recovers from this tragedy and pulls together for eachother during these trying times. I know in my neighborhood in APCP we are all checking in with eachother making sure our neighbors are safe. I mean this is all we can ask of our neighbors, everybody is concerned for the next person. No matter where you live these things can happen. Your neighbors are your first line of defense and I'm so lucky I have good ones.... People have a great weekend....
If there is any consolation, this guy was caught. Doesn't seem like he got far.

Pocono Farms East machete-attack suspect arrested | PoconoRecord.com

Old 09-16-2014, 03:37 PM

2 posts, read 1,870 times
Sarge.....please get in touch with me. I'm interested in getting a weekend/summer home at APCP. I was getting mixed vibes about it after reading these blogs, but I would love a personal opinion for what the CURRENT situation is at APCP. You can inbox me or email me at flspasta@hotmail.com I'm new to Citi-data. I'm coming up to APCP next week to look at properties and would appreciate any pointers you could give me. THANKS

Old 09-19-2014, 12:46 AM

472 posts, read 779,200 times
I emailed you my number call me anytime I'm off all day today
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania