Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2010, 04:55 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,528,563 times

Advertisements

Here is a GREAT new link I found that shows on a map all the crimes in a given city as well as the types of crime etc. You can also sign up for crime alerts in your area.

Here are the crime statistics for the past week for:
(1) SCRANTON>>>>> CrimeMapping.com - National Map

(2) WILKES-BARRE>>>>> CrimeMapping.com - National Map

(3) SARASOTA my current city for comparison>>>>> CrimeMapping.com - National Map

The cities are of similar size with Scranton being larger than Sarasota and Wilkes-Barre a bit smaller. . Let me add that I DO NOT think the link is working correctly, as I see no crime even in Philadelphia for the past week(scratches head)????????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2010, 08:32 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,087,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Here is a GREAT new link I found that shows on a map all the crimes in a given city as well as the types of crime etc. You can also sign up for crime alerts in your area.

Here are the crime statistics for the past week for:
(1) SCRANTON>>>>> CrimeMapping.com - National Map

(2) WILKES-BARRE>>>>> CrimeMapping.com - National Map

(3) SARASOTA my current city for comparison>>>>> CrimeMapping.com - National Map

The cities are of similar size with Scranton being larger than Sarasota and Wilkes-Barre a bit smaller. . Let me add that I DO NOT think the link is working correctly, as I see no crime even in Philadelphia for the past week(scratches head)????????
scranton is NOT larger than sarasota in population--the city limits of sarasota are more compacted,but the population is larger

Old 07-04-2010, 08:15 AM

1,294 posts, read 3,254,853 times
Many times these crime mapping applications online are at the mercy of the counties/cities reporting the data to the website, so they are often out-dated or just plain empty of data.

Still, useful tool.

Another option to do comparisons on Sperling's Best Places website. Whole boatload of stats from crime to cost of living. Enjoy.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 08-20-2010 at 05:29 AM..

Old 07-04-2010, 04:35 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
PITTSON2SARASOTA,
I just wanted to say that the mapping tool only works if the local police department cooperates. Only two local police department in PA are listed under their heading of agencies. Bethlehem is one and the other is close by. We don’t have any cooperating agencies in our area - so no reported crime!

Old 07-04-2010, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
scranton is NOT larger than sarasota in population--the city limits of sarasota are more compacted,but the population is larger
LOL.....Apparently you cannot comprehend population statistics.:rolleye s:. I grew up in Pittston and live in Sarasota now, so I think I have a better idea of the city than you do?????

SARASOTA(city) ........population>>>>>52,578 (2007 estimate)
Sarasota, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

SCRANTON(city).........population>>>>>72,485 (2007 estimate)
Scranton, Pennsylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

WILKES-BARRE(city)....population>>>>>43,123 (2000 census)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilkes-Barre,_Pennsylvania

I majored in GEOGRAPHY/EARTH SCIENCE at PENN STATE . Try again!.

Last edited by PITTSTON2SARASOTA; 07-05-2010 at 12:03 AM..

Old 07-04-2010, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp2007 View Post
Many times these crime mapping applications online are at the mercy of the counties/cities reporting the data to the website, so they are often out-dated or just plain empty of data.

Still, useful tool.

Another option to do comparisons on Sperling's Best Places website. Whole boatload of stats from crime to cost of living. Enjoy.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed
Thanx I too noticed many areas are devoid of data. I am wondering if many police departments simply are not reporting and/or participating with the data collection?????.

Last edited by Yac; 08-20-2010 at 05:27 AM..

Old 07-04-2010, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
PITTSON2SARASOTA,
I just wanted to say that the mapping tool only works if the local police department cooperates. Only two local police department in PA are listed under their heading of agencies. Bethlehem is one and the other is close by. We don’t have any cooperating agencies in our area - so no reported crime!
Yeah.....I noticed that and mentioned in my opening post that even Philadelphia seemed devoid of crime the past week; which I find highly unlikely.

However I do not run the website.. And suggest that we ALL get our local Police Departments to participate in this potentially informative mapping tool. .

Old 07-07-2010, 02:54 PM

1,294 posts, read 3,254,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post

I majored in GEOGRAPHY/EARTH SCIENCE at PENN STATE . Try again!.
Hey so did I!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania