Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2015, 07:49 AM

2,481 posts, read 2,236,097 times

Advertisements

to answer you and Gerania about Thanksgiving, I ( we) will be hosting a small group of family and friends...
Turkey, a Roasted Pork Shoulder, called Pernil ,a sofrito crusted pork shoulder cooked long and slow til it is like pulled pork, some empanadillas both carne y longosta some New Jersey fresh cranberries, garden salad, potatoes both sweet and regular mashed spuds with garlic and parmesean, baked Brussels sprouts with cheese, wild mushroom gravy (Grandmas NEPA recipe)

dinner rolls, sausage stuffing, Appy tray of Shrimp, pepperoni, assorted cheeses,crudités,
Desserts, wife's carrot cake, few store bought pies from local fruit farm (Terhune Orchards)...

Wines, Mimosas, Brandy...maybe some 'ceegars' for da Boyz.:-)

A few years back my oven quit JUST as the turkey was finished but the dinner rolls had to be warmed on the outside grill.
I have a medical procedure scheduled next Tuesday (out patient) so it might be jamming up my obsessive compulsive desire to have every step pre- planned but my wife and daughters will certainly handle any problems or snags...

Just a general question?

Does anyone here abhor Turkey as much as me?
Can't stand to look at it, cringe to touch it, hate the smell of it cooking, will only eat a bit of white meat slathered in gravy...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
Retired in Jan 2013 so closing in on 3 yrs. Now that I'm thinking about it, I bought the Matrix in 2006. It's a 2004. So it got me to work and back for 7 yrs.

I like your response, mr.mcgoo, about never up-sizing. Good plan for living. I envy your medical insurance. I've got good plans (medicare and a few to cover all the other stuff) but really haven't tested it with anything major. So far, so good.

so what is everyone doing for Thanksgiving? Am I the only one with a coin jar to empty?
I am obsessed with change, I never keep any in my pocket, I have a box with different coin slots...I love to roll it up, when it gets up to 50 bucks I take it to the bank...
I don't roll pennies though, I have an old Spring Water Jug that I have been throwing pennies in for years...I recently weighed it and subtracted the weight of the Bottle, it turns out I have 167.+ dollars @ the conversion formula on the interwebz.

Great that you haven't had any major medical issues, I sincerely hope that your situation remains status quo and you enjoy your well earned retirement..

Old 11-19-2015, 08:05 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
Retired in Jan 2013 so closing in on 3 yrs. Now that I'm thinking about it, I bought the Matrix in 2006. It's a 2004. So it got me to work and back for 7 yrs.

I like your response, mr.mcgoo, about never up-sizing. Good plan for living. I envy your medical insurance. I've got good plans (medicare and a few to cover all the other stuff) but really haven't tested it with anything major. So far, so good.

I like those old glass jars, Gerania. Don't buy any unless I can think of a specific use for them. One is my change jar-holds maybe 2 qts. I used to put in a lot of quarters but now not. Save those for the laundromat. I'll let you know how much is in there.

so what is everyone doing for Thanksgiving? Am I the only one with a coin jar to empty?
I emptied mine about 6 months ago. It's not a jar, though. It's a big mug. When the cup is full, I empty it into a canvas Citizens Bank bag. Remember those?

Old 11-19-2015, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.magoo View Post
to answer you and Gerania about Thanksgiving, I ( we) will be hosting a small group of family and friends...
Turkey, a Roasted Pork Shoulder, called Pernil ,a sofrito crusted pork shoulder cooked long and slow til it is like pulled pork, some empanadillas both carne y longosta some New Jersey fresh cranberries, garden salad, potatoes both sweet and regular mashed spuds with garlic and parmesean, baked Brussels sprouts with cheese, wild mushroom gravy (Grandmas NEPA recipe)

dinner rolls, sausage stuffing, Appy tray of Shrimp, pepperoni, assorted cheeses,crudités,
Desserts, wife's carrot cake, few store bought pies from local fruit farm (Terhune Orchards)...

A few years back my oven quit JUST as the turkey was finished but the dinner rolls had to be warmed on the outside grill.
I have a medical procedure scheduled next Tuesday (out patient) so it might be jamming up my obsessive compulsive desire to have every step pre- planned but my wife and daughters will certainly handle any problems or snags...

Just a general question?

Does anyone here abhor Turkey as much as me?
Can't stand to look atbut they still have youth and it, cringe to touch it, hate the smell of it cooking, will only eat a bit of white meat slathered in gravy...
I, we, are almost gelled and will be in a few days. A couple of my son's friends who have no plans are coming here. All right! I will be surrounded by young men. Age and treachery and all that, but they have more energy than I do. I can make them do things. Queen for a day.

Mmm...shrimp, cheese, cranberries, mash and carrot cake. I love carrot cake.

I don't like turkey, but I don't think I dislike it as much as you do. The smell doesn't put me off, because I've baked many turkeys and chickens. Gotta do what you gotta do.

Last year we ate steak and all of the standard trimmings. Really nice bottle of red wine.

Old 11-20-2015, 12:10 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,851,677 times
Love a drumstick/thigh with mashed potato. stuffing, gravy... and later leftover turkey (any kind) sandwiches...and finally soup or casserole .

Then again it could be the memories of gatherings gone by too...

Old 11-20-2015, 08:08 AM

So, Gerania, a bunch of 'Boy toys' around to do help out on on Thanksgiving?

I think you should make them dress like Chippendales, just for some 'tee-hees.'

I do love Chicken, but I can't bear to touch it either...I've field dressed so many pheasants, geese and ducks over the years but ah jist can' be touching no store bought chicken.

When we were having chicken for dinner my Dad would say 'Mom's making 'Barnyard Pimp' for dinner, boys.'

I raised chickens for eggs...had some Leghorns and Rhode Island Reds around the 1865 farmhouse I restored in Hightstown NJ...couple Roosters too...I have some good chicken stories...here is one;

One of my Hens, her name was 'Sluggo' started acting loco, just doing stupid stuff, like dancing the 'Funky Chicken' on a rainy day...by herself.

My 8 yr old. daughter remarked that she might be 'possessed ' and we should do an Excorism to rid her of evil...
My daughter was right...later on that day 'Sluggo' laid a Deviled Egg.

Old 11-23-2015, 10:58 PM

Default Thanksgiving

OK, it's chicken and all of the other holiday foods. Son and I went shopping and it was a last minute decision. We almost ditched chicken for Cornish hens. We considered seafood pasta.

Bonus. He asked me to teach him how to make an apple pie. Heaven... I'm in heaven.

I watched Nana make pies, but mom gave me the tools, nuts and bolts. They both taught me that pastry doesn't always behave, and to adjust sugar with the apple variety.

I'm really looking forward to that. A few days a year, he's the daughter I never had.

Don't tell him I said that.

Old 11-24-2015, 03:29 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,955,064 times
To the topic of spending holidays alone - it's sad for some, I suppose. But I have my own version of aloneness. I'm comfortable with who I am and while I may not be "with someone" on THE day, I can look forward to celebrating in our own time.

Thanksgiving: I haven't cooked a Thanksgiving dinner in a long time. When my four oldest were married and out of the house, they had to pay homage to the in-laws and would show up at my feast sated with turkey and pie. I had enough leftovers to last until I couldn't stand to look at another form of turkey. I told them they could skip my dinner and if they wanted they could come for pie and coffee. My youngest was working at a job that required him to work on Thursdays, so I decided to cook our Thanksgiving dinner on Friday. It worked for us and when he married, his wife liked the idea so now SHE cooks on Friday or Saturday, whichever day he's off work and I'm invited.

Four years ago, we had some upset in the family and I decided I was resigning from Christmas. I had previously had everybody here, every year. By 2011, we were up to 24 people. And that was the end for me. I spend the day reading or eating or looking at old photos or going for a walk. Sometimes, some of the family members stop in and we have coffee and cookies and have a nice quiet hour or so. Only the grandchildren get gifts these days so sometimes I'm still wrapping gifts while I watch Ralphie and the frajeelay award. In the evening, I go to one son's house for a meal and a visit with their children. During the following week, there are invitations to other dinners and Christmas visits with other grands. I've never been so happy and I certainly have a whole new perspective on what Christmas means.

I don't feel sorry for myself. I feel privileged to have been on the planet for this long and enjoyed so many holidays when some people have enjoyed so few.

So I wish all the NEPA regulars a happy Thanksgiving. May you all enjoy yourselves in the way that pleases you whether you have Turkey and Fixin's or steel-cut oatmeal. Life's too short to do it any other way.

Old 11-24-2015, 04:33 PM

short story on being Thankful...
Early Friday morn 2am awoke with major chest pains..wife drove me to ER...super new hospital Capital Health 2 miles away.
Blood work indicated no Heart attack...Fri. afternoon nuclear stress test and treadmill indicated 'abnormalities'
I just had a stent placed in July...Cardio team guys think it is maybe a blockage at the stent, except for the youngest guy...
Thinks it's acid reflux or a gastro infection..gives me Prisolec, calls in a gastro guy( my primary physician)
Meantime to make doubly sure, Cardio does a catherization this am 7:30...I'm groovin' on 'happy juice' while the cardio guy is running a minicam through my wrist into my radial artery scouting around my ticker while I am watching it on the Silver Screen...background conversations of everyone's Thanksgiving plans in the OR...

Loud voice cuts through the convo...'No blockage at the stent Luke, you can go home today.'

I'm in recovery...three hours as they slowly let out little blasts of air from the traction bracelet around my wrist where the little cam went in on a snake.

Gotta watch out for Thrombosis, infection or hemmoraghing at the site for next 24 hrs.

Report comes in from Gastronologist while I am recovery...
traces of Gastro infection probably caused by bacteria dripping down my throat from the three trips to the dentist earlier this month for root canal work( three sessions)

So barring any complications, I am good to go with the prior mentioned Thanksgiving plans...just have to not overwork the wrist...I told the Doctor I pretty much gave that up after I turned 21.

So, something to REALLY be thankful for...kinda jolted my jaded existence.

Happy Thanksgiving y'all.

Old 11-24-2015, 06:48 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.magoo View Post

How about some BOILO ???

I wanna hear who is going to make some Boilo!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania