Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2023, 09:56 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times

Advertisements

I remember when this used to be a very active forum. Thanks creme for stopping by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2024, 09:47 PM

28,896 posts, read 30,274,521 times
I really miss PA, was talking with my sister the other day, and sharing with her my dislikes about Bowling Green, KY....

It's a nice town, now almost a city, it's clean, there are no potholes, and where I live, pretty darn quiet for the most part. I've made a few friends, but I'm not one to need people in my life to be happy.

My sister and I worked for a huge world wide corporation....and she told me the general consences is, that people from PA, NY or NJ who move to the mid west do not do well....the transition is a hard one, for many reasons, it's a huge culture shock.

I'm from a family oriented town, in PA, about 1.5 hours from Philly, which I used to hop the train and go down to Philly a lot, especially in the summer. I'd do the symphony, museums, Reading terminal, and I also lived in the Poconos for 20 years.

The town that I grew up in, was and still is very active community town....the churches do a lot of open dinners to the public, there is always something to do, to go sight seeing, there are many cultural art venues, and in both NY and Philly you have China Towns, and Italian stores and Markets.

Here there is nothing....and the sad part is, most of these people haven't traveled beyond their own state, where they've been able to experience the wonderful culinary arts of the East. I've spoken with many people who are transplants from that area, mostly doctors and professional people and they will tell you the same thing.

The food and Restaurants here are horrible. I mean who serves French Fries for an appetizer. You walk into a so called Diner, and there are only one or two hot meals you can order, which are listed every day on a black board, say, meat loaf, and fried fish. Everything here is fried, and mostly consists of Fast Foods. Most diners are only open until 2 p.m. Then the better restaurants open at 5 p.m and they aren't too bad, but again, their menus are very limited, it isn't anything like back home. And one of my doctors said, he doesn't think the food here will ever be anything close to what we had back east. Shame...

You have a lot of very nice people here....friendly, hospitable, kind, and helpful....but the scholastic abilities just isn't there like back east...

You have a lot of Red Necks, who care nothing about how they effect the lives of others...again, the mentality just isn't there...now that doesn't say that Red Necks are not good people....but those who drive around with the American Flags attached to their loud trucks really don't care how early in the morning it is, to start reving up their trucks....or about their neighbors. And as all people do across this nation, there are a whole lot of people who disobey traffic laws....we have a lot of accidents here.

The churches here do not host any open meals like back home....which shocked me...and there is only one firehouse I know of that only does a yearly fish fry.

Back home, the churches did Sauerkraut and pork dinners, Oyster Dinners, Pot Pie Diners, had hogie sales...my God, LOL, I went into a place and ordered a tuna hoagie and she had no idea what I was talking about? LOL, they are called subs here.

And any grocery store that you go into out here, if they don't have an item, they won't evern consider ordering it for you....whereas back home, they were only too happy to accomodate your needs.

The chinese restaurants here do not know how to make fried rice, honest ta God....they lightly fry up white rice with nothing in it, nothing, and charge you 9.00 for it....sheesh...and yet, on every menu they show fried rice as it should be made, but none of them make it that way.

There is only one Buffet here which is a Chinese Buffet....and only one small Salad Bar in Ruby Tuesday.

Back home, summer was the time for Festivals and music, Strawberry and peach festivals....we had the huge Musikfest in Bethlehem, West End Fair, in Effort, the ski slopes, the Pocono Raceway, you could take a bus trip into NYC and see a show....and savor the many wonderful restaurants....walk around the markets which were huge, out here, there is a market, which is held in a shopping center parking lot....lol, with 2 vegtable stands.

I phoned the only local butcher the other week to get ground veal so I could make meat loaf and meat balls, and guess how much he wanted per pound for ground veal....$30.00....are you kidding me. None of the stores here sell it....you can't buy turkey legs, and great Italian rolls...there is only one great Pizza Truck, and he works out of his truck...he is from Chicago and NY, and his Pizza is wonderful.

The people here let their dogs run loose and then get upset when they take off and pack up....running deer and scaring neighbors...every single day there is one dog lost...if not more....

There are no Italian Stores here...and when I first moved out here, it was much worse, but there is one store that now carries some better Italian foods, and that same store will shread your lunch meat, but some will not. They don't carry liverworst, lebonan bologne...meat loaf mix, they have no idea what it is....and they are all so resistant to change. None of the stores have a salad bar, like back home....where you can run in quick and fill up a container and leave with a wonderful salad for supper.

I miss New Hope and Lambertville, Philly, NYC, the arts, and the wonderful cultures...a decent hair stylist...the Jersey shore....The Poconos....the antiques....the open music concerts that are free...oh how the smaller towns back home held those free concerts for the community.

But the weather out here is wonderfully mild, most of the time, we do have our share of bad weather, tornados, and lots of rain...but only maybe a dusting of snow...there are people out here who are so friendly....and kind, but a lot of them are very rude, and the men, still spit in the parking lots, or on the roads....and if you go to walmart, let me tell you how rude people are....a whole different breed of people....

Unfortunately schools here have gone down hill....woman was telling me today her 7 year old girl is having so many problems being bullied and beat up, to the point where she is taking her out of that school....sad....but I guess that's all over...and crime here as gotten a lot worse. I used to come out here every year for the Kentucky Derby, and then we'd come and visit people who lived in Bowling Green, and it was just this little hick town, pretty little town, very little traffic, not the traffic here is horrendous.

I'm seriously thinking about moving back to PA....

So, I've vented, sorry bout that, this thread has been so quiet, where is everyone. I hope your all doing well, I used to love to come into this thread and catch up with all the news....miss you all....

Hugs
Creme

Old 02-17-2024, 03:38 AM

30,527 posts, read 16,222,191 times
hey, Creme
good to hear from you but you do sound a bit homesick. Sounds like a return move would be an improvement.
You'll never find what you had but you could sure do better than what you've got.

Old 02-17-2024, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
hey, Creme
good to hear from you but you do sound a bit homesick. Sounds like a return move would be an improvement.
You'll never find what you had but you could sure do better than what you've got.
thank you, the only thing is, my kids are here, which is why I moved out here in the first place....
but yes, I am very homesick....

Good to see you in there....hope your doing well....thanks for your reply.

Old 02-19-2024, 08:52 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
thank you, the only thing is, my kids are here, which is why I moved out here in the first place....
but yes, I am very homesick....

Good to see you in there....hope your doing well....thanks for your reply.
It's late and I'm tired. I'll read the novella tomorrow.

Old 02-19-2024, 09:49 PM

I was on the phone with my sister, both her and I worked for a huge world wide Corporation....she told me the consences was that people from our neck of the woods do not do well as transplants in the midwest or the deep south for the reasons I wrote up above. When you lived in SE or NE PA, you had so very much at your finger tips...it was only a 3 hour drive to NJ shore, or a tad longer to the Outer Banks...or drive to DE, or DC for the Cherry Blossoms in the spring, and take in the Museums....a very short drive or train ride to Philly, or NYCity....my gosh, there was always so much to do...

Out here there isn't much...believe me....nothing like back east. And it's kinda sad, b/c these people don't know what they're missing...especially those who have never been outside of Kentucky.

one of my doctors and I were having a conversation, he is also a transplant from Bethlehem, PA, and said, Your never going to have the quality of restaurants and food like we had back home, it just doesn't exist.

I miss the Poconos, and I can't imagine how much it's changed...I have friends still living there.... and of course you guys....I loved the outside Marshall's Creek flea Market...used to love driving way up thru Dingman's Ferry and fishing on the northern Delaware.

Used to work in East Stroudsburg, in the Shearson Lehman building for an accounting firm, Parente Randolph Orlando Carey and Assoc. Great Job, great pay and benifits....

Old 02-20-2024, 01:49 PM

3,971 posts, read 2,352,311 times
That slow pace is what I am looking for, creme. Even though I may not have the comforts of home, I will have the slow quiet pace of life. I am currently looking in VA (Hampton Roads/ Tidewater area) or NC (Triad/ Greensboro/ Winston-Salem/High Point areas) for our next cycle of life. Trying to get away from the abundance of snow in the Poconos. Kentucky always seemed too backwards in my mind but never been there. My brood is in Delaware and in DC so they can still visit us but far way where they don't interrupt our serenity.

Old 02-20-2024, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
That slow pace is what I am looking for, creme. Even though I may not have the comforts of home, I will have the slow quiet pace of life. I am currently looking in VA (Hampton Roads/ Tidewater area) or NC (Triad/ Greensboro/ Winston-Salem/High Point areas) for our next cycle of life. Trying to get away from the abundance of snow in the Poconos. Kentucky always seemed too backwards in my mind but never been there. My brood is in Delaware and in DC so they can still visit us but far way where they don't interrupt our serenity.
I've known several people who have moved to the Carolinas, and loved it....and yes, where I am, these people are very antiquated along with the town...even though it's growing fast....it will take a lifetime for changes here...and the traffic here is horrendous....but the winters are very mild, however we are on the tip of tornado alley, and we just had another last week....believe it or not.

I wish you the best....there is so much culture at your finger tips out there....wishing you the very best that life has to offer.

Old 02-23-2024, 11:05 AM

31 posts, read 25,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
...a decent hair stylist...
I, too, appreciate a decent hair stylist, but have yet to secure one, thus delaying my relocation to this part of the USA. All hairdressers that I have contacted wish to schedule by appointment, whereas I must be able to have a fringe trim at a moment's notice.

Old 02-23-2024, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanhoe1966 View Post
I, too, appreciate a decent hair stylist, but have yet to secure one, thus delaying my relocation to this part of the USA. All hairdressers that I have contacted wish to schedule by appointment, whereas I must be able to have a fringe trim at a moment's notice.
I have found a real good stylist but it took a while....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania