Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 08:01 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,294,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintblaster View Post
Another one sided opinion. Perhaps the cops should have gotten out and apologized for interrupting the kid's playtime.

The kids should not be skateboarding there.

Too bad the cops could not give them a swift kick, then maybe it would be worthwhile for them to get out of the car. The truly sad part is that if one those kids got hit by a bus, their parents would lawyer up in a NY minute to sue (and win) a suit against the city.
This is just a DUMB IDIOTIC tactic for cops. DUMB.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2010, 09:44 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,817,492 times
I always wondered why skateboarders get harrassed so much. If the police and other adults spent half as much time worrying about stopping drug dealers, child molestors, etc etc, we'd be much better off. I would think its a good thing that kids are skateboarding....better than drinking, smoking, doing drugs, or laying around the house being lazy watching TV and playing video games. At least skateboarding is good exercise in a day and age when kids aren't getting enough exercise. As long as they're not skateboarding in traffic or harrassing anyone, I don't see the problem.

Old 11-06-2010, 09:49 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,817,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alloverpa View Post
Moved to this area in Jan of 2010 and i just wanted to note my impression of this area. Moved here from the Lehigh Valley and talk about culture shock! Besides the scores of empty, delapodated homes and down on its luck feel of the town it offers the same shopping or fun as any other town. The overall culture is very very different from your average east coast metro area. Diversity is limited to certian towns that have been deemed by locals as "seeder areas" and they are extremly low value homes. Most amazingly to me is the obvious holding back of minorities. There are NONE in local government, and the affirmitave action minimum in most workplaces (excluding factory or hard labor work). I even witnessed first hand in a crowd of white people on public square a uniformed WB police officer single out the black guy, get in his face, and tell him to leave downtown. I asked the man what that was about and he stated "they dont even try to tell us apart!" I had never expierenced anything like that in my life, and as an american regardless of race was schocked. This area does not want people to move here, has no desire to grow develop and change. Overall my impression is its time to move when the lease is up, which stinks due to the enormous place i could rent for the price of a 1 bedroom in Allentown. Its like civil rights never happen here, and i hope you like people who live off the government then rail against social services. Just too much of that around here. Crime is not bad though, i have heard many from Mt Top or Dallas talk with extreme fear of being in downtown and i cant understand that, i see police on bikes and average patrols - higher population = higher crime. Also i have a A SMall tinge of an NYC accent due to moving to PA in 6th grade, i consider myself a Pennsylvanian, and before moving here had never experienced any adversity due to my birthplace. However if someone hears me say water, or coffee, the next question is were are you from originally and have actually had people ignore me after they knew. While most places in pa are dealing with an upsurge in monroty population in its cities (creating suburbs for the fearing white folk) this area seems to be activly trying to keep all people out. Now please understand this is only one opinion although shared by my wife it is not what everyone will think. I belive my analisys of the issues we have faced here is accurate for people who are like minded in the sense of progression and diversity, but accept that therre are people here who are perfectly happy.
I smell BS..... http://forum.thescubasite.com/sign/sign0023.gif (broken link)

Old 11-06-2010, 09:59 PM

24,098 posts, read 32,448,969 times
go phillies, I so agree! I have always encouraged my kids to be active and to get out of the house!
Too many kids are overweight couch potatoes!
There are many ways to be active - organised school sports are but one.
My daughter enjoys gymnastics and cheer, and my son likes runnig. skating and snowboarding.
Both are healthy and slender.

I do not want them to have a negative impression of the police - but it is incumbent upon the cops, not the kids to act as protecters and public servants -not bullies.

Old 11-06-2010, 11:38 PM

889 posts, read 2,573,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
I smell BS.....
I couldn't read it. They invented the paragraph for a reason, and this is the reason.

Old 11-07-2010, 07:57 AM

996 posts, read 1,056,647 times
HaHa - I raised the ire of the Dr. Phil crowd..

Nothing wrong with kids skateboarding - in the proper places like a city park. Not on busy sidewalks where there are other people mulling about, not on city steps or benches where they ride the handrails and grind off the paint. Not in an area with bus traffic. What is so darned hard to understand?

And before someone peels off the next excuse - but,but there isn't a city park for over a half-mile away - let the kids walk to it - it's good exercise.

Magritte - if you were so outraged about the situation, you should have performed your civic duty and let the cops know how you feel instead of venting on an internet forum..

Do I think cops should be able to give someone a swift kick? In some instances yes. I was exaggerating a bit in the skateboard example.

Perhaps, just perhaps, if most parents today kept their kids in line and taught them to RESPECT public property and authority figures then the cops would not have to "hassle" the poor darlings.

Too many Dr. Phils, "corporal punishment of any kind = child abuse", fill them up on ADD pills.
That is what is wrong with today's society. Too many parents expecting the cops and school teachers to be baby-sitters.

Then, when little Johnny or Susie is reprimanded, the first thing they think about is cashing in with a lawsuit.

Sorry folks, but when I went to school there was a cure for ADD, and no prescription was required.
The parents of today are soft, the kids of today are soft, and both got suckered into the pop-a-pill for a cure mentality. It's no small wonder society is in such a sad state. And the pharmacutical companies and Dr Phil types are laughing all the way to the bank.

Old 11-07-2010, 08:40 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,711,762 times
You have a misconception about ADD. Plenty of kids diagnosed with ADD are respectful and well-mannered. It may be over-diagnosed and in some cases, exacerbated by parental decision-making, but painting everybody with the same brush is misguided. Not all parents today are soft, not all kids today are soft.

VB, you make plenty of good points but it really isn't difficult to qualify one's statements, or to point out that you are being facetious when saying the cops should have kicked the kids. You get the reactions you do because your statements sound like they are black-and-white and have no give. Perhaps it is your intention to get a rise out of people (some of whom are too ready to take the bait, but that is their issue). If so, then I'm not saying anything you don't know.

Old 11-07-2010, 09:47 AM

996 posts, read 1,056,647 times
I make it a point to "adjust the width of the paint brush" I use - it depends on which particular painter I am responding to.
Sometimes I swipe the paint for entertaiment purposes, other times to show the same level of ignorance to the OP.

Some use fine detail brushes, others I suspect are more accustomed to a deep pile roller.
Some think they paint like Picasso - but in reality their nonsense would not be fit for a shadow-covered bridge piling.

ADD may be over-diagnosed?? Quite the understatement maf.

More of the modern day victim mentality - take a chill pill child. The drug companies are training you for the stronger pills that will come along with your "adult problems" that will require the good stuff - "Mommy's Little Helpers"... Your parents dole them out like M&M's because they want to be your friend instead of a parent. It alot easier to hand over a pill -vs- spending quality time and providing extra attention to the kid.

And the sheep run to the trough to solve the pain of what used to be considered normal life challenges.

Last edited by varmintblaster; 11-07-2010 at 09:56 AM..

Old 11-07-2010, 09:59 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,095,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alloverpa View Post
Moved to this area in Jan of 2010 and i just wanted to note my impression of this area. Moved here from the Lehigh Valley and talk about culture shock! Besides the scores of empty, delapodated homes and down on its luck feel of the town it offers the same shopping or fun as any other town. The overall culture is very very different from your average east coast metro area. Diversity is limited to certian towns that have been deemed by locals as "seeder areas" and they are extremly low value homes. Most amazingly to me is the obvious holding back of minorities. There are NONE in local government, and the affirmitave action minimum in most workplaces (excluding factory or hard labor work). I even witnessed first hand in a crowd of white people on public square a uniformed WB police officer single out the black guy, get in his face, and tell him to leave downtown. I asked the man what that was about and he stated "they dont even try to tell us apart!" I had never expierenced anything like that in my life, and as an american regardless of race was schocked. This area does not want people to move here, has no desire to grow develop and change. Overall my impression is its time to move when the lease is up, which stinks due to the enormous place i could rent for the price of a 1 bedroom in Allentown. Its like civil rights never happen here, and i hope you like people who live off the government then rail against social services. Just too much of that around here. Crime is not bad though, i have heard many from Mt Top or Dallas talk with extreme fear of being in downtown and i cant understand that, i see police on bikes and average patrols - higher population = higher crime. Also i have a A SMall tinge of an NYC accent due to moving to PA in 6th grade, i consider myself a Pennsylvanian, and before moving here had never experienced any adversity due to my birthplace. However if someone hears me say water, or coffee, the next question is were are you from originally and have actually had people ignore me after they knew. While most places in pa are dealing with an upsurge in monroty population in its cities (creating suburbs for the fearing white folk) this area seems to be activly trying to keep all people out. Now please understand this is only one opinion although shared by my wife it is not what everyone will think. I belive my analisys of the issues we have faced here is accurate for people who are like minded in the sense of progression and diversity, but accept that therre are people here who are perfectly happy.
OMG Now thats a laugh, wow is that funny...

Old 11-07-2010, 10:01 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,095,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintblaster View Post
Sorry folks, but when I went to school there was a cure for ADD, and no prescription was required.
The parents of today are soft, the kids of today are soft, and both got suckered into the pop-a-pill for a cure mentality. It's no small wonder society is in such a sad state. And the pharmacutical companies and Dr Phil types are laughing all the way to the bank.

Amen to that brother..........Nothing but a bunch of pansies being raised out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania