Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 02:25 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grover View Post
I am just trying to figure out what everyone did with themselves before cell-phones.
They held blackened bananas up to their ears and pretended to talk into them so that they wouldn't have to interact with any retail clerks, passing neighbors, servers, or even their own families, don't you remember?

In all seriousness though, I just had someone today walk right into me while yammering into their cell phone while just mouthing "Sorry" to me while proceeding to yap away. If you know you can't multi-task, then please do NOT attempt to do so!

In all fairness though, I agree with Suzer here on this one. Where do we draw the line? People who smoke cigarettes while driving are also distracted, as are those who are fiddling with their XM satellite radio (raises hand embarrassedly ), those trying to program their next destination into OnStar, those trying to restrain out-of-control children in the backseat of Volvo station wagons (half of the Abingtons), those slurping down a Frosty they just purchased at the Wendy's drive-thru, etc. The "ideal" situation of every driver having two hands on the wheel at all times while regularly glancing in their mirrors to keep abreast of other nearby motorists is no longer achievable in this hectic world where everyone is on a tight schedule, even on Sundays (as I saw today with everyone at work practically knocking each other over in such a hurry).

If we can't enforce the laws we already have (noise ordinances, fireworks, leashed pets, headlights being activated in construction zones and during inclement weather, etc.), then why bother to waste time writing up legislation for new ones?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2007, 04:24 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,659,511 times
You're right Paul. Maybe it would be silly for more legislation. I just wish that people would just use common sense while driving. Driving is enough of a task without being distracted more by talking on the cell, eating, putting on make-up or whatever. Sometimes we do have to police ourselves.

Old 07-09-2007, 07:27 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,667,671 times
Default Right

Your probably right. When they first came out I had to use my hand and ask the driver ahead of me to go to the side of the road.
He was going 10 or 15 miles an hour on a 45MPH road. Weaving, slowing, going fast........pausing. He nicely moved to the side of the road.
He was not aware of his actions. I see people all the time driving carelessly while on their cells......just not paying attention at all to the surroundings.
The worst annoyance to me is in a restaurant.
Why would I want to hear someones loud conversation.
Sitting trying to have a nice evening out, with quiet conversation.
It has happened more times then I can count.
Someone is on their cell, having a loud, lively talk about this and that.......
it almost includes me in their conversation.
If they talked quietly into their phones.........then fine.
Other then that, its so, so, rude.

Old 07-09-2007, 07:44 AM

You are correct Summering. I hate it when I'm in line at the store and somebody at the beginning of the line who is checking out is yapping away on the cell phone. They're holding everybody up, because they're trying to pay and talk at the same time. Plus I can hear their whole conversation.

Old 07-09-2007, 08:23 AM

307 posts, read 768,833 times
lol susquehannock, that was what I was going to say! I can not believe how many ppl do not know this law! The other one that gets me is how many ppl stay in the passing lane long after they have passed on a hwy- move over folks-- its the law!

Old 07-09-2007, 08:52 AM

You're right about that kinpa. There are some drivers who refuse to get out of the left lane. They just stay there at a slow rate of speed, until you have to pass them on the right. That is so annoying. I do believe there are signs on some of our highways now saying you must turn your lights on when using your wipers. Thank you though for the reminder.

Old 07-09-2007, 11:07 PM

59 posts, read 273,002 times
To me, if you can't talk on your cell phone and drive without getting into an accident, then you shouldn't drive period. It's the same thing as holding a conversation with a passenger.

My business requires me to constantly be on the phone, so I hope a law like that doesn't pass since I hate having those stupid ear bud things in my ear.

Old 07-10-2007, 06:39 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelMarinelli View Post
To me, if you can't talk on your cell phone and drive without getting into an accident, then you shouldn't drive period. It's the same thing as holding a conversation with a passenger.

My business requires me to constantly be on the phone, so I hope a law like that doesn't pass since I hate having those stupid ear bud things in my ear.
HA! I'm reminded right now of that commercial in which the young man and young woman are in a convenience store, and the woman begins talking. She is actually using a bluetooth, but the young man thinks she is coming on to him. When he interjects, she goes "Hold on a sec..." and gives the guy a disgruntled look and a sigh. Then it shows them both at the register, and he once again mistakes her bluetooth conversation for being directed towards him. I can empathize with that young man because it seems like every other one of our customers is constantly yammering away on a bluetooth, and I often mistake them for either talking to themselves (crazy), and/or talking to me. Heaven forbid we start to interact with one another in real life, right?

Old 07-12-2007, 10:55 PM

59 posts, read 273,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
HA! I'm reminded right now of that commercial in which the young man and young woman are in a convenience store, and the woman begins talking. She is actually using a bluetooth, but the young man thinks she is coming on to him. When he interjects, she goes "Hold on a sec..." and gives the guy a disgruntled look and a sigh. Then it shows them both at the register, and he once again mistakes her bluetooth conversation for being directed towards him. I can empathize with that young man because it seems like every other one of our customers is constantly yammering away on a bluetooth, and I often mistake them for either talking to themselves (crazy), and/or talking to me. Heaven forbid we start to interact with one another in real life, right?
That commercial is quite funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania