Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 07:10 PM

2,760 posts, read 3,955,989 times

Advertisements

The front tires on my AWD 2005 vehicle are really bad, 2/32 worth of bad. Since it is an AWD I can not just replace the 2, Pep Boys gave me a price of 700 plus. Money is a bit tight right now, and I just do not have that type laying around in liquid form for tires. Does anyone know of a good place to get used tires cheap in the Scranton area besides Billy's on Keyser?

I am going to check with him in the am, but I have a feeling I won't get lucky.

Ty all.

Lynn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 08:21 PM

32,946 posts, read 36,394,363 times
What kind of car.. tire size determines cost. I can't give you the answer, but I'll try to drag my son to the forum to help.

Old 02-03-2011, 01:10 AM

996 posts, read 1,057,798 times
You have either chosen the TOP of the LINE Tire, or you are GETTING RIPPED OFF.

Shop elsewhere - call around and get quotes from 3 places.

Old 02-03-2011, 03:13 AM

106,727 posts, read 108,937,910 times
good tires are soooooo important. inf act i wont even use those horrible "NO SEASON TIRES" that come with most cars today. i swap between winter blizzaks and summer tires for my cars. even on awd those all season pieces of crap are terrible ,... they get harder and harder and have less grip once below 40 degrees or so. i rolled off my driveway while backing up once in my 4x4 in the snow when i couldnt see the edge. i couldnt get out. those no season tires had no bite what so ever even with a 4x4.

tried it again the following year with winter tires and boom right out.

by swapping between the 2 you get 2x the life so its a free ride basically to do it right.

the best place to shop tires is at tire rack.com

Old 02-03-2011, 04:19 AM

996 posts, read 1,057,798 times
mathjak - you may get twice the life - but you bought 2 sets of tires = net savings of zero.
Plus you have to buy another set of rims - or else ante up each year to have the tires changed/re-balanced by a shop.

Blizzaks are great (and very expensive)- if you live in Canada or upstate Maine where the the roads remain snowpacked all the time. Drive them Blizzaks on pavement for an extended period and the rubber will wear off like a piece of American cheese being scraped by a grater. I would venture to bet that those soft-compound Blizzaks would not last more than 10,000-15,000 miles if driven on pavement - and their superior gripping power would put excess stress on an AWD drivetrain if the driver is agressive.

lovein - if you are really scrimped for cash and want nearly new tires - call Denaple's junkyard in Scranton. When they get a late model totalled car they strip the wheels and tires off of it. You may get lucky with a set of tires that will fit your car.

I run Uniroyal Laredo "All Season" tires on all my personal vehicles - including my SUV. I routinely get 60,000 miles from a set of tires - and they would still pass inspection when I replace them. I am able to drive in 4WD with snow up to the fenders - and I rarely get stuck. If/when I do get stuck, I have a shovel in the back and it's an easy out. The heavy snow we got yesterday is more of a challenge.

Granted, you have to know when to stop going forward to avoid snowplowing and lifting your front end off the ground. I do not do HD offroading, but I routinely bust trail on SGL roads this time of year.

I choose All Season tires because I want to get max mileage out of my $, and I do not care for the loud noise of heavy treaded tires at highway speeds - no "mudder humm".

You will save $ with TireRack - but then the tires must be shipped to a local installer who are going to charge you for mounting balancing,stems, etc. In the end - I don't think the savings will be much.

Heading out to the back roads of SGL187 in a few minutes. Last chance for me to blast some pheasants b4 the season ends on Saturday. I'll let you know if I get stuck..

Old 02-03-2011, 04:35 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,955,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
What kind of car.. tire size determines cost. I can't give you the answer, but I'll try to drag my son to the forum to help.
Duh...proof I am a dudette! LOl, it is a chevy eqinox 2005 awd, I think it was the only ones they had in stock.?

Old 02-03-2011, 07:33 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,827,904 times
I would check Sam's Club....for new tires, they seem to have the best prices.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:51 AM

2,662 posts, read 3,830,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveinbloom View Post
Duh...proof I am a dudette! LOl, it is a chevy eqinox 2005 awd, I think it was the only ones they had in stock.?
What rim size? ;-) If you have 17" the quoted price isn't bad; 16" and you can probably do a better.

Tire Rack - Your performance experts for tires and wheels

lets you plug in the info to compare with what your being quoted. Besides shipping you can count on another $20 per tire for new stems, mounting, balancing, disposal, etc.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:02 AM

2,362 posts, read 5,142,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveinbloom View Post
The front tires on my AWD 2005 vehicle are really bad, 2/32 worth of bad. Since it is an AWD I can not just replace the 2, Pep Boys gave me a price of 700 plus. Money is a bit tight right now, and I just do not have that type laying around in liquid form for tires. Does anyone know of a good place to get used tires cheap in the Scranton area besides Billy's on Keyser?

I am going to check with him in the am, but I have a feeling I won't get lucky.

Ty all.

Lynn
Walmart .. Its where we get ours ... Viva 2 $72.00 each

Old 02-03-2011, 09:19 AM

106,727 posts, read 108,937,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintblaster View Post
mathjak - you may get twice the life - but you bought 2 sets of tires = net savings of zero.
Plus you have to buy another set of rims - or else ante up each year to have the tires changed/re-balanced by a shop.

Blizzaks are great (and very expensive)- if you live in Canada or upstate Maine where the the roads remain snowpacked all the time. Drive them Blizzaks on pavement for an extended period and the rubber will wear off like a piece of American cheese being scraped by a grater. I would venture to bet that those soft-compound Blizzaks would not last more than 10,000-15,000 miles if driven on pavement - and their superior gripping power would put excess stress on an AWD drivetrain if the driver is agressive.

lovein - if you are really scrimped for cash and want nearly new tires - call Denaple's junkyard in Scranton. When they get a late model totalled car they strip the wheels and tires off of it. You may get lucky with a set of tires that will fit your car.

I run Uniroyal Laredo "All Season" tires on all my personal vehicles - including my SUV. I routinely get 60,000 miles from a set of tires - and they would still pass inspection when I replace them. I am able to drive in 4WD with snow up to the fenders - and I rarely get stuck. If/when I do get stuck, I have a shovel in the back and it's an easy out. The heavy snow we got yesterday is more of a challenge.

Granted, you have to know when to stop going forward to avoid snowplowing and lifting your front end off the ground. I do not do HD offroading, but I routinely bust trail on SGL roads this time of year.

I choose All Season tires because I want to get max mileage out of my $, and I do not care for the loud noise of heavy treaded tires at highway speeds - no "mudder humm".

You will save $ with TireRack - but then the tires must be shipped to a local installer who are going to charge you for mounting balancing,stems, etc. In the end - I don't think the savings will be much.

Heading out to the back roads of SGL187 in a few minutes. Last chance for me to blast some pheasants b4 the season ends on Saturday. I'll let you know if I get stuck..
Actually blizzak has 2 models. one is designed for hard core snow and ice driving. they wear very quickly on pavement . the other is the blizzak performance snow which is what i bought..its just great and wears nicely on pavement. with good handling on highway. its an excellent balance. this is my 2nd season with them and the are like new and i do 8-9,000 a year on them in the winter months.

the extra rims are well worth it and if they save you from sliding in even one crash then its less then your deductable..

after 1 season on real winter tires you will never want to go back to those crappy no season tires again. the all season tire gets so hard and un-plyable at cold temps that they only work until they dont and then your out of luck either stuck or sliding into oblivion.

as far as im concerned tires are the most important part of your car.. your life is dependent on them. all the awd systems or 4x4 systems do you no good if the tires have no traction.

usually including installation tire rack is generally cheaper then local dealers will do. i did get kost tire on route 6 to match the price on my snows and wheels but no dealer here in nyc would do it.

Last edited by mathjak107; 02-03-2011 at 09:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania