Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 03:39 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times

Advertisements

just ordered a new bmw 328xi and even though they are awd i still much prefer snow tires for the winter...

im torn between getting a performance snow tire like the dunlop 3d sports or a full blown snow tire like the blizzak ws60

just curious if anyone uses snows and what you bought for the nepa winters....

im more inclined to go with the performance snows as i think we may have more plowed slushy road conditions then driving around in 2 ft of snow but not being up in nepa full time im not sure what to expect other than ice

the performance snows are much much better in light snow , dry cold roads and wet performance, the full blown snows are better in deep snow and ice but stink in the wet or dry.

performance snows are not the same as all seasons, those are not very good at anything as they attemt to just be a compromise ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 04:21 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,549,693 times
Had dunlops and not too good experience. Dunlops are noisy and do not last - not living up to their life expectancy - just an opinion. Try Goodyear comfort threads - they might make a snow tire.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:00 AM

1,935 posts, read 3,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
just ordered a new bmw 328xi and even though they are awd i still much prefer snow tires for the winter...

im torn between getting a performance snow tire like the dunlop 3d sports or a full blown snow tire like the blizzak ws60

just curious if anyone uses snows and what you bought for the nepa winters....
I've always been a fan of Goodyear's Assurance TripleTred tires. I have them on my 06 Hyundai Elantra and every winter while everyone is slippin' and slidin' all over the place...there I go with a smile on my face cuz they can get through anything. Apart from Goodyear the other brand I would recommend would be Nokkian Hakkapelitas which are made in Finland. A little pricey but very good in winter as well. They come from Finland and they get a lot of snow. Both tires are available from Jack Williams. Do a comparison/research on them at tirerack.com, Samsclub.com, and any other you know of. That way you get a good idea of what others are saying. But I really like the handling of the Goodyears!! Haven't been stuck yet and the 2 times I spun out (due to ignorance on my part) being that my Elantra is stick I was able to get myself out both times. BJ's sells tires also but not Goodyears.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:50 AM

182 posts, read 502,752 times
I really don't know about your question but you'd probably get more/better answers in the Automotive Forum.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:26 AM

2,362 posts, read 5,137,741 times
Get a AWD Subaru and you'll never get stuck again.. and use all season tires as well ..

Old 05-14-2009, 10:46 AM

I never get stuck with any of my awd or 4x4's but i would like better control which is what the snows will give you on a 4x4 or awd..

After thinking about it ,based on the nepa conditions i think ill go with the performance snows...if the snows that deep or the ice sooooo bad im not coming up to nepa or driving back to new york..... rather then give up the handling and performance on dry or wet roads by getting a full blown snow tire im better off going with the performance Snow which will give me more of what i spend the most time on, dry,cold and wet roads....

Last edited by mathjak107; 05-14-2009 at 10:57 AM..

Old 05-14-2009, 01:01 PM

I use the tires I mentioned in my post year-round. Also, the Kappelita's are specifically for snow but can also be used year-round.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:18 PM

273 posts, read 957,052 times
As you seem to know, it depends on your priorities (dry handling. wear. cost, snow, ice...each is a variable) and also where you live/drive. (e.g. The difference between Newton-Ransom and Scranton, only a few miles, is significant....and even your driveway, mine is 1000' steep and curved off of a tertiary road.)

There is no best tire for all situations. My experience with Dunlop SP Sport snows is that they are excellent on dry roads and average for various snow/ice conditions, especially as they wear...and they wear fairly fast. The Yokohama snows I had on an AWD Audi for many years served well. I recently bought General Altimax Arctic Snows which so far aren't bad and nicely priced. They don't handle as well as the Dunlops in dry. I doubt you will find any snow that does much better.

Of course there are a variety of Blizzaks with good to excellent characteristics. I suspect you are familiar with the online tire reviews at Tire Rack and other sites. These are good input.

Generally I would not drive in winter in this area without snow tires, regardless of the vehicle and drive system.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:06 AM

my first plan was blizzak ws60's which are an excellent snow and ice tire but after communicating with gary at tire rack he said its a big trade off for that snow performance and that they really stink in the wet and dry.....

the bmw uses run flats too so unless i want to fill my trunk up with a spare im limited to a few choices .. the dunlaps and blizzak lm22 which is a performance snow vs the ws60 which is the all out snow and ice tire are really my choices .......

people dont realize the difference tires make even on a 4x4 or awd...its amazing.... the difference in control is night and day...the fact one may never have gotten stuck has no bearing on turning and stopping.they are different issues

Old 05-15-2009, 08:25 AM

Wow you're up early!! Granted the tires you choose has no bearing on how you drive I'll always favor the Goodyear's and the Nakkiam's. But ultimately knowing your car and how it maneuver's in certain conditions dictates how safe you'll be and whether you'll get stuck or keep going. A lot of people don't seem to realize that 4X4's can slide just as easily as any other car. Just cause it's 4X4 or AWD doesn't make a difference. But that's a whole other topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania