Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 10:00 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,275,757 times

Advertisements

Scranton has experience the same rate of decline yet they seems to be able to preserve thier historic place and in most cases turn them into tourist attraction and museums. Why can't W-B seem to figure it out? Much smaller cities like Easton have the Crayola Factory, smaller cities like Williamsport have the Little league World Series and museum which draws thousands form around the world to little Williamsport every year. Why is it so far fetched for W-B to be able to have ONE historic gem preserved? I don't understand?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 10:16 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,275,757 times
I AM NOT in favor of rezing the Sterling, but if they are gonna do it anyway, I would love to have the region's first and only urban marketplace fill the void. It would serve as a year round indoor farmers market. It would serve the entire community, both downtown colleges, all the office workers, and be a huge incentive for anyone considering moving downtown (wich currently has no food market). Unlike a new hotel, or even condominiums and lofts, this would serve the entire Wyoming valley and beyond, be a tourist draw, and be unique to NEPA. The Reading Terminal Market is one of my favorite stops when I'm in Philly Reading Terminal Market › Home I have wished for a long time that W-B could land something similar (smaller of course). They have food vendors from all over the globe...Amish, Thai, Medittranian, Indian, African...all under one roof. Fresh Fish mongors; Butcher shops, arts and crafts vendors; spice vendors all under one roof. They have live cooking demonstrations as well as many other workshops and events. During the holidays the farm stands can sell Halloween stuff Mums, Pumpkins...Christmas...trees, Wreaths ect. This would be smart thinking and serve everyone, be smack dab across from the river, right downtown among the office buildings, and centrally located between the two colleges. You couldn't ask for a better location. Just my opinion.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:41 PM

539 posts, read 1,069,071 times
W-B Proud, that's a very good idea, and I believe there were other threads about that too, as I mentioned Asheville's Grove Arcade in one of them. If they did end up tearing it down, there should be some sort of plan like this. It would be great to have an indoor urban-type market-mall in the city, for all the reasons you mentioned.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:35 PM

3 posts, read 4,637 times
My ex-girlfriend loved that building. She dragged me in their once in the middle of the night. It really is a beautiful building. Will be missed by many.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:22 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Why should it be converted to "riverfront lofts"? The lofts over the movie theater are a flop. ONE person lives there. Just one.
Store owner hopes city

Within the article:

"She also feels bad that some of the people who purchased lofts in the theater complex must face an eyesore. To date, 16 of the 21 lofts have sold."

So did 15 more lofts sell just since you posted this reply, or were you relying on the same hysterical hearsay nonsense that the Scrantonians rely upon when they bash their own Downtown?

Old 04-11-2011, 07:49 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Store owner hopes city

Within the article:

"She also feels bad that some of the people who purchased lofts in the theater complex must face an eyesore. To date, 16 of the 21 lofts have sold."

So did 15 more lofts sell just since you posted this reply, or were you relying on the same hysterical hearsay nonsense that the Scrantonians rely upon when they bash their own Downtown?
Ooooh burn!

Why is only ONE of them currently occupied?

Old 04-11-2011, 09:03 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Ooooh burn!

Why is only ONE of them currently occupied?
Perhaps the owners of the other 15 lofts are real estate speculators who are hoping to "flip" and resell in a few years when Downtown real estate values climb?

Old 04-11-2011, 09:25 PM

2,760 posts, read 3,954,370 times
That makes no sense, flippers go in fix up and turn around quick to max profits, carrying is not a good thing for flippers. The longer they hold onto a property the less captial they have to move on to the next project.

Old 04-12-2011, 04:47 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Perhaps the owners of the other 15 lofts are real estate speculators who are hoping to "flip" and resell in a few years when Downtown real estate values climb?
Oh well. That really does speak well for the downtown area and city in general when people buy lofts just to flip them. Yessir it does. Plus as bloom pointed out, who buys a newly constructed $250K loft to flip? Isn't that kind of the opposite of what house flippers do?

Old 04-12-2011, 08:22 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
Out of respect to the OP, could we keep this conversation about the Sterling hotel and not the apartment complex?

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania