Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 11:55 AM

996 posts, read 3,279,893 times

Advertisements

CHS89: I'm with you. I've lived in the area all my life and really can't understand what all the fuss is about Old Forge pizza. I've had it once or twice, but it isn't an experience I would want to repeat on a regular basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 11:55 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,338,915 times
My top three favorites in NEPA would be:

Maroni's with either sausage or pepperoni - St. Ann's Street, Scranton, WestSide

Pizza L'oven with no onions - Wyoming Ave., Exeter (can't beat the deep fried crust! )

Revello's - Main St., Old Forge

Old 08-09-2007, 12:20 PM

1,251 posts, read 3,313,004 times
Maroni's!? Really? With the flour and water crust and the burned American cheese on top? :urp:

This isn't an "outstanding pizza poll" anymore. Not even close. The thread went to crap after the mention of Pizza Hut. Calling a pizza a "good version of Sbarro's" is hardly high praise, either.

I'm waiting for someone to nominate DiGiorno's Sausage from the Gerrity's in Moosic. That would prove once and for all that no one in the area knows a thing about good pizza.

Old 08-09-2007, 12:25 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,338,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHS89 View Post
Maroni's!? Really? With the flour and water crust and the burned American cheese on top?
That's why it's called an opinion, different strokes, different folks!

Old 08-09-2007, 12:33 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,660,293 times
I never understood the appeal of Old Forge pizza. I guess maybe because I didn't grow up in this area. I've always known pizza to come in pies with slices, not trays with cuts. And to me real pizza has mozzarella cheese on it, not American or cheddar. Old Forge pizza tastes like the pizza you had in the cafeteria in high school. It didn't taste that great but you ate it anyway because it was pizza and was served on Fridays. To me it's just not appetizing.

That pizza shop in Dickson City next to Circuit City, Basillico's has excellent pizza. The owner is from Long Island, so they know a thing or two on how to make good pizza.

Old 08-09-2007, 12:36 PM

411 posts, read 1,290,773 times
Alright, this thread absolutely made me register and weigh in. Grew up in NEPA, graduated college in '79, left for the greener pastures of VA Beach area of VA, and there isn't a trip back home where the first thing aside from checking in with my family up there is to go out and get a tray, and usually a tray of Old Forge style or something of that ilk. For me, nothing beats it, certainly no chain down here, no NY style, no fancy schmancy California Pizza kitchen stuff, no Chicago style...only the stuff back home gets me!

My favorites overall,

Andy's in Peckville #1
Colarussos in Jessup #2
Angies in Dickson # 3

My sentimental favorite:
Tony's in Peckville - I grew up eating the stuff on lunch breaks from the old Mid Valley High in Olyphant. I still get two or three trays from them every trip home. They remember me everytime I come up for a visit.

Also two pretty good ones:

Buono's in scranton...kink of NY style i guess

And for something different:
Pappas Pizza near the courthouse in Scranton.

So it takes a pizza thread to get me off the stump and actually register, respond instead of just browsing..?

Old 08-09-2007, 01:39 PM

113 posts, read 415,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
A unique pizza that does not fit the definition of New York, Old Forge, Chicago styles, etc, (but it is round) is Andy's Pizza in Peckville.....very similar to Andy's but in a square shape is Maroni's on St. Ann's St. in West Side. Both are excellent.
I've had Andy's pizza, but can't really remember it...what makes it different from "Old Forge" style?

And what is Pittston-style pizza?

I really need to know this stuff because we're moving to NEPA next month...

Old 08-09-2007, 01:47 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,825,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMilford View Post
I've had Andy's pizza, but can't really remember it...what makes it different from "Old Forge" style?

And what is Pittston-style pizza?

I really need to know this stuff because we're moving to NEPA next month...
Never heard of "Pittston style" pizza. But Andy's is round, has kind of a thick crust, but the cheese is different than most places. It probably has mostly American cheese, but I believe its a blend, and there doesn't appear to be a clear-cut line between the cheese and the sauce....its kind of mixed together. I love when some of the cheese is burned.

Old 08-09-2007, 01:58 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,768,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Sbarro's? Isn't Sbarro's pretty much chain-food-court pizza? There was a joke on "The Office" where Michael was in New York and ate at Sbarro and commented that he was eating "authentic New York Pizza."

New York pizza is only good when it is FRESH and HOT out of the oven, after mozzarella sits for a while, its like a piece of rubber. Give me that Revello's cheese sticking to the roof of my mouth anyday.

You know why the cheese sticks to the roof of your mouth? Because it isn't mozarella cheese...it's either cheep American or imitation cheese.
Old Forge Pizza stinks.

Old 08-09-2007, 02:06 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,825,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
You know why the cheese sticks to the roof of your mouth? Because it isn't mozarella cheese...it's either cheep American or imitation cheese.
Old Forge Pizza stinks.
Its supposed to stick to the roof of your mouth. It shouldn't be any other way. And personally, I like American cheese on my pizza....better than mozzarella that if eaten more than five minutes after its cooked has the consistency of a piece of rubber. And Old forge pizza isn't full of grease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania