Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 10:30 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,821,616 times

Advertisements

There's a ton of vacant office and retail space in downtown Scranton as it is....if there was demand for bigger buildings, they would be there. And until the city lowers its business taxes to the level of surrounding towns, downtown will continue to be a ghost town with nothing going on after the government and lawyers offices close at 5:00 other than binge drinking....and new offices will continue to locate in Moosic, Dunmore, Dickson City, etc, where they are convenient to the city without the high mercantile tax in the city.

And honestly, its a city of 75,000 give or take a couple of thousand....you don't find skyscrapers in towns this size. We're closer to a small town than a big city. Although Harrisburg has a pretty impressive skyline for a city of 50,000...maybe we can convince the state government to move the capital to Scranton?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 10:33 AM

23 posts, read 33,552 times
I was going to say why not take the risk in lowering the taxes, but lord knows the government needs its money to pay for the needs of illegal immigrants right? Im kinda new to this, and I want to learn, so please correct me an teach me the ways of the city and government. hahah

Old 10-26-2011, 11:47 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,097,857 times
I had a nice conversation with a downtown restaurant owner less then a football field away from the Connell Building, you know the savior of the downtown, and he told me that he had more business from the workers doing the renovation then he has seen from any of the tenants.

The U has a new buffet that is open to the public and it has crushed his business now during the week. He is busier when the school is out and the facilities are not open.

Imagine that, the U is supposed to be a bonus for the downtown business' and he says that he RARELY IF EVER see U students in his shop because they have taken GREAT STRIDES to be self contained for their students....

Only in Scranton....

By the way the city if anything is shrinking and dying in the downtown, it is not growing regardless of the BS hype that is printed in the paper, just ask small business owner down there....

Old 10-26-2011, 12:19 PM

23 posts, read 33,552 times
well then lets work on it go tell people about scranton

Old 10-26-2011, 01:53 PM

ROFLMAO... Tell them what? That the city is over $350,000,000 in long term debt, facing a $7,000,000+ deficit this year and just lost a $20,000,000 Supreme Court case.

Oh wait don't forget that the mayor is going decimate the police and fire depts in a vengeful storm of retribution over losing the case in the Supreme Court and a possible 100% tax increase on the horizon as well.

No offense, but having been through a few floods myself, I would have stayed in Luzerne county even if I had to live in a tent rather then come here now....

Good Luck.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:32 AM

232 posts, read 347,507 times
According to Weluvpa and NyRangers, the Connell Lofts building was going to sit empty for years so please take what they say with a grain of salt. Now we are getting complaints about the type of people who occupy these apartments?

You have the Franklin Lofts opening shortly which is piggybacking on the heals of the Connell Lofts.

SteelCity, this forum has been dead....would love to see some more Scranton news here. I'll do my best to post more.

Old 10-27-2011, 02:45 PM

The Linden St project isn't full and unless you KNOW someone that actually lives in the Connell building I stand by what I said.

Franklin Lofts remain to be seen.

I love the fact that the two biggest blowhard cheerleaders both live at least 5 hrs from here, one never lived here at all and the other attended school here.

Neither have a REAL vested interest in the city or base thier commenst on real life experience living in the city...

Old 10-27-2011, 10:19 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Pittsburgh has astronomical taxes. Downtown Pittsburgh is thriving. Explain that one.
Philadelphia has astronomical taxes. Downtown Philadelphia is thriving. Explain that one.

Old 10-28-2011, 06:02 AM

That is easy, they both actually have reasons to WANT TO LIVE THERE and they are the TWO LARGEST CITIES IN THE STATE......

There is NO COMPARISON TO SCRANTON.

Nice Try though.

Old 10-28-2011, 06:02 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,821,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Pittsburgh has astronomical taxes. Downtown Pittsburgh is thriving. Explain that one.
Philadelphia has astronomical taxes. Downtown Philadelphia is thriving. Explain that one.
But how are Philly and Pittsburgh's business taxes? I will bet they are not as ourtrageous as Scranton's compared to surrounding towns. The mercantile tax is what drives business out of Scranton, not the wage tax....hurts Scranton even more, since the city is small enough that you can move outside the city limits and still be a 5 minute drive from most parts of the city. Not as easy to do that in Philly and Pgh.

And also, they are big cities that have amenities that a small city like Scranton will never have. It's pretty much apples and oranges. BUT I just hope that Scranton doesn't follow Philly's footsteps....Center City Phila is thriving while the majority of the rest of the city is a crime infested hole. The thriving downtown there has not really translated to any real revitalization outside of Center city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania