Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2012, 09:20 PM

3 posts, read 18,576 times

Advertisements

I am an african-american female musician and jewelry designer whose ideal living location would be in the breathtaking natural scenery of the Poconos ..however i would also love for it to be wihin or very close to a multi-cultural, young professional population... Is there any city in the poconos that would fit the bill?....or am i daydreaming?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 05:19 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,381,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalWhispers View Post
I am an african-american female musician and jewelry designer whose ideal living location would be in the breathtaking natural scenery of the Poconos ..however i would also love for it to be wihin or very close to a multi-cultural, young professional population... Is there any city in the poconos that would fit the bill?....or am i daydreaming?

The inherent problem with your request and wish list is that the Poconos area in unto itself is an economically depressed area.

Scranton proper is in bankruptcy and can only pay it firefighters, police and other city personnel minimum wage due to their ongoing economic crisis.

The unemployment rate for Scranton/Wilkes Barre as of August of this year was reported at 9.4 percent compared to the overall PA unemployment rate of 8.1 percent.

There is a transient population that uses East Stroudsberg as a commuting point to points east like NYC.

Because of this there is a significant upswing in crime in that area.

You have certain small concentrations of wealthy enclaves but nothing that would constitute a town that could sustain life as your searching for it.

The remaining parts of the Pocono's are very sparsely populated and very poor.
It is quintessential Appalachia.

I wish I could paint a brighter more vibrant picture but reality dictates otherwise.

Good luck to you.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:30 AM

63 posts, read 88,786 times
Milford, Pa. has a really good art, music vibe.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:40 AM

452 posts, read 681,738 times
Need to ask..what does being "African American" have to do with the fact you are a musician and jewelry designer? If you're talented in either of those fields, you will be a success. Why the need for people to preface things by labeling themselves just escapes me. That being said, good luck in your search.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:07 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,815,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post

Scranton proper is in bankruptcy and can only pay it firefighters, police and other city personnel minimum wage due to their ongoing economic crisis.
That's no longer true, that was just for one pay period. And they have not declared bankruptcy, although they probably should.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:55 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,172,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.Trips View Post
Need to ask..what does being "African American" have to do with the fact you are a musician and jewelry designer? If you're talented in either of those fields, you will be a success. Why the need for people to preface things by labeling themselves just escapes me. That being said, good luck in your search.
I assume that she stated that she was African American to avoid places where she would not be welcome. Let's face facts, prejudice still exists and if you've never experienced it, you can't know what it's like.

Natural Whispers, if you want to move to a vibrant diverse community with really breathtaking natural beauty where your talents can be fully realized, I recommend the Seattle/Puget Sound area of Washington State. The Poconos are basically an upland area with a rolling terrain, not spectacularly pretty and populated by displaced Brooklynites.

Old 10-17-2012, 12:35 PM

2,095 posts, read 3,101,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalWhispers View Post

How big of a town are you looking for? Jim Thorpe might be a good match but it has a population of less than 5k. However, it is fairly liberal, multi-cultural, and there is a young professional population--it's just very small.

Old 10-17-2012, 02:28 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,094,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
That is FALSE, the city has NOT filed bankruptcy and only paid the minimum wage during 1 pay period.

The city is a financial disaster and heading for the bottom, but at least be accurate please.

Old 10-17-2012, 04:38 PM

238 posts, read 364,976 times
Delaware Water Gap is cute and very artsy, right in the heart of nature (and fall foliage at this time of year).

Old 10-18-2012, 06:25 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,381,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
That's no longer true, that was just for one pay period. And they have not declared bankruptcy, although they probably should.
Wow, perhaps I didn't hear WNEP news correctly then.
If I have misquoted I apologize to the OP and everyone.

Regardless, Scranton/WB is in dire financial straights and someone thinking about moving to the general area needs to think about that prior to making a decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania