Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 06:51 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,154,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWebb View Post
if you can call it a house...I think a homeless person would rather sleep in a cardboard box than what he was!! Yes that is a bridge he had made out of two cement drainage pipes although you could just hop over the little creek that passed through it...
He apparently had money for his two dogs and his (at least) two weapons and ammunition - too bad he did not spend the money on property improvement! It sounded as if he was more concerned that his dogs would be euthanized than he was concerned over the lives of his fellow humans!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 11:46 AM

1,935 posts, read 3,146,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.Trips View Post
Several questions. 1) Was he endangering the welfare of a minor? 2) Was he cited for any form of animal abuse? 3) Did he leave garbage out that would have caused animal infestation? 4) Did his property effect the value or quality of life of his neighbors? 5) Was he current with all taxes? 6) Was he evaluated by a professional and diagnosed as a threat to himself or others?
I for one would like more background information on this one.
1) Was he endangering the welfare of a minor? - don't know...

2) Was he cited for any form of animal abuse? - don't know...

3) Did he leave garbage out that would have caused animal infestation? - Yes...check WNEP16 for a view of his property...as I stated before it was disgusting...unless you like living in similar conditions...

4) Did his property effect the value or quality of life of his neighbors? - Yes and the surrounding area...

5) Was he current with all taxes? - highly unlikely if you see his *property*...

6) Was he evaluated by a professional and diagnosed as a threat to himself or others? - obviously not don't you think if he killed 3 people...he's in jail if you want to interview him.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:59 AM

Knee jerk reaction to issues simply to further an agenda , while ignoring other crimes, deaths and murders is purely a transparent attempt at furthering an agenda that is based on fear mongering.[/quote]

I mentioned this because we have had so many shooting recently. I know as well as you know that there is going to be a knee jerk reaction to his Facebook post (you don't need a Ouija Board)! It is also not flawed logic to anticipate.

That said; I wish that (besides the dead) that we also turn our attention to the heroes. West End Open Space Commission Executive Director Bernie Kozen was identified as the first man to tackle the shooter. In the ensuing fight the shooter was shot two times in the leg with his own gun. Another man also was working with Bernie trying to help subdue and disarm the suspect. The other man did not want to be identified. But I do think that both should be commended by our County or State and acknowledged as heroes!

Last edited by toobusytoday; 08-07-2013 at 06:24 AM.. Reason: removed previously deleted post and comment about it.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:11 PM

I have pictures of his property but I've never had much luck uploading photos here...

Old 08-06-2013, 12:16 PM

3,979 posts, read 2,359,295 times
Quote:
I have pictures of his property but I've never had much luck uploading photos here...
I saw the photos on tv this morning. A would call it a pig pen but it would be an insult to all the pig pens out there. He was a mentally unstable loser. He belongs in jail. I hope the county doesn't waste a trial on that guy.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:28 PM

2,760 posts, read 3,955,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I mentioned this because we have had so many shooting recently. I know as well as you know that there is going to be a knee jerk reaction to his Facebook post (you don't need a Ouija Board! It is also not flawed logic to anticipate.

That said; I wish that (besides the dead) that we also turn our attention to the heroes. West End Open Space Commission Executive Director Bernie Kozen was identified as the first man to tackle the shooter. In the ensuing fight the shooter was shot two times in the leg with his own gun. Another man also was working with Bernie trying to help subdue and disarm the suspect. The other man did not want to be identified. But I do think that both should be commended by our County or State and acknowledged as heroes!
Bravo and thank you Mr. Fisheye!

Old 08-06-2013, 12:35 PM

Just tried uploading the pics I have but this board is not allowing me...sorry folks...

Old 08-06-2013, 12:38 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,793,315 times
I regularly attend municipal and authority meetings in smaller communities. Fortunately I no longer need to attend the meeting where many of the attendees were more than a little off plumb. It was to the point where I deliberately sat further from the council table in one borough because I could picture an incident like this occurring.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Just tried uploading the pics I have but this board is not allowing me...sorry folks...
I have a next door neighbor that got drunk while having a fight with his wife. He jumped on his backhoe and started pulling their house trailer until the wheels fell off. The trailer has been sitting at about 15 degrees with the windows broken out for the last ten years. This does not help property values. In the case of Mr. Newell; he supposedly did not even have a septic system.

I have already heard comments that this was about too much government. But we all want our investments protected. Mr. Newell's property was condemned. But, from what we have heard so far; it sounds as if they were justified.

Old 08-06-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:
In the case of Mr. Newell; he supposedly did not even have a septic system.
No he didn't...no running water except from the little stream that flowed past the front of the property, no electricity either...how he lived in those conditions I can't fathom myself...the 1 time I did see him I thought he was fixing up the property to sell it...

Quote:
I have already heard comments that this was about too much government. But we all want our investments protected. Mr. Newell's property was condemned. But, from what we have heard so far; it sounds as if they were justified.
It was...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania