Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 01:33 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,154,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWebb View Post
No he didn't...no running water except from the little stream that flowed past the front of the property, no electricity either...how he lived in those conditions I can't fathom myself...the 1 time I did see him I thought he was fixing up the property to sell it...

It was...
Another curiosity question: How did he post on Facebook? Is there a possibility of another Rockne Newell that was confused with this one? It is very hard to fathom somebody without running water and sewage having internet access or worrying about Facebook.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 02:07 PM

1,935 posts, read 3,146,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Another curiosity question: How did he post on Facebook? Is there a possibility of another Rockne Newell that was confused with this one? It is very hard to fathom somebody without running water and sewage having internet access or worrying about Facebook.
He also had other residences...if you go on the WNEP page and view the video by the state police they are searching those places as well...

Old 08-06-2013, 02:57 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,318,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.Trips View Post
Several questions. 1) Was he endangering the welfare of a minor? 2) Was he cited for any form of animal abuse? 3) Did he leave garbage out that would have caused animal infestation? 4) Did his property effect the value or quality of life of his neighbors? 5) Was he current with all taxes? 6) Was he evaluated by a professional and diagnosed as a threat to himself or others?
I for one would like more background information on this one.

Whatever the answers, none justify what Newell did last night.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:05 PM

I did want to point out that if Bernie Kozen and another unidentified man did not grab Mr. Newell; that other lives would have been taken. They were heroes that saved the day for many others in that meeting. The police were not there - like many other shootings that have taken place in our Country. I personally do not like "Open Space" - but Bernie (the Open Space executive director) was the right person in the right place and at the right time. Because of his actions and those of the other unidentified man; possibly six or seven lives were saved.

Those saved lives were not because these heroes were pacifist. They would have been dead with the others if they had not acted. They used violence against violence.

Then there is the other question if Mr. Newell would have ever attacked if he knew everybody at the meeting was armed? With many of the school shooting the perpetrators chose their targets because they knew there would be no resistance. Mr. Newell, because of past experience with the Township, was probably more than aware that no weapons were allowed.

I am trying to stay away from gun control debates - there are other forums for that. I just want to point out that our police cannot be everyplace. In this case; I would like to know how long it took for our police to arrive at the scene? They are a considerable distance (15/20 minutes or more) from our State Police (which are close to my house). We do have a Regional Police force - but I don't think that Ross Township participates? The Regional Police force is headquartered even farther away in Pocono Summit. There is no local police force that I am aware of in Ross. The point that I am making is that it takes only seconds to empty a clip/magazine - government cannot save you.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 08-07-2013 at 06:27 AM.. Reason: removed prevously deleted post and comment about it.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:14 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,318,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I respect your opinions. I did want to point out that if Bernie Kozen and another unidentified man did not grab Mr. Newell; that other lives would have been taken. They were heroes that saved the day for many others in that meeting. The police were not there - like many other shootings that have taken place in our Country. I personally do not like "Open Space" - but Bernie (the Open Space executive director) was the right person in the right place and at the right time. Because of his actions and those of the other unidentified man; possibly six or seven lives were saved.

Those saved lives were not because these heroes were pacifist. They would have been dead with the others if they had not acted. They used violence against violence.

Then there is the other question if Mr. Newell would have ever attacked if he knew everybody at the meeting was armed? With many of the school shooting the perpetrators chose their targets because they knew there would be no resistance. Mr. Newell, because of past experience with the Township, was probably more than aware that no weapons were allowed.

I am trying to stay away from gun control debates - there are other forums for that. I just want to point out that our police cannot be everyplace. In this case; I would like to know how long it took for our police to arrive at the scene? They are a considerable distance (15/20 minutes or more) from our State Police (which are close to my house). We do have a Regional Police force - but I don't think that Ross Township participates? The Regional Police force is headquartered even farther away in Pocono Summit. There is no local police force that I am aware of in Ross. The point that I am making is that it takes only seconds to empty a clip/magazine - government cannot save you.

I don't think defending oneself or others is "violence". At least that isn't how I meant it. Newell was shot with his own gun - by accident when Kozen tackled him - so I don't see how that is an argument for more guns or less stringent gun control laws.

I think Kozen and the other gentleman (whose name escapes me) are heroes and should be treated as such. There is a major difference between attacking people who are basically sitting ducks and subduing a murderer.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:37 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,940,165 times
I was terrified of something like this happening while I served on borough council in this small PA town, just to the south of Ross Township (other side of the mountain). There were people who were so utterly heated in their opinions, it appeared as if they may turn violent and explode at any time. There were others who had longstanding feuds with their next-door neighbors, it was just crazy.

I would not want to live in Ross Township without a gun or two, IMO. There is no local police protection in that community, and Lehighton barracks sometimes only had one patrol car out for their entire area while I served on the local ambulance squad (do not know if they have additional staffing now). That sometimes meant sitting outside a residence for 45 minutes waiting for the police to arrive and secure the scene before gaining access to the patient. If someone was having trouble breathing for example, that is an absolute eternity. But you never know what you will find, so we waited to be safe.

Had Mr. Rockne attempted to improve his property back when all this started, the fees and regulations would have undoubtedly been much simpler to handle. Instead, he has no on-site septic and is directly next to a stream, yuck! A stream that obviously floods, based upon his mention of reconstructing the bridge and getting assistance from FEMA.

Just so glad those two gentlemen stepped in to stop him in his tracks, or undoubtedly more people would have died. I do wonder how long it took from first 911 call until the police arrived, and where they happened to be when the call came in. Perhaps it is time for these small municipalities in the area to band together and regionalize so they can have proper local police coverage.

Old 08-07-2013, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I don't think defending oneself or others is "violence". At least that isn't how I meant it. Newell was shot with his own gun - by accident when Kozen tackled him - so I don't see how that is an argument for more guns or less stringent gun control laws.

I think Kozen and the other gentleman (whose name escapes me) are heroes and should be treated as such. There is a major difference between attacking people who are basically sitting ducks and subduing a murderer.
Mark Kresh is the other hero. Although, so far, he has tried to take no credit for his actions.

Magritte, if somebody tackled a police officer and he shot himself in the leg; then that would be a violent act? As karen_s points out; it takes a long time for the police to respond to that area. You should have the tools to protect yourself if necessary.

Possibly, if Newell did not spend so much money on weapons and dogs, he would have had some funds to help fix up his place? He was armed with a .44 magnum and a Ruger mini 14 (I presume .233 from the accounts of the pictures exploding on the wall). Both weapons are very lethal. I don't know if the .44 was a semi-automatic or revolver? I am surprised that Newell did not loose his leg/s from being shot by his own gun - it must have been superficial. Our police do not carry weapons as powerful as the handgun Newell had when he entered the meeting room.

Newell, in his statements to the police, said that he expected to be killed in his attack. I believe that he also said that he wanted to kill more. I just don't understand why people so intent on dying just don't kill themselves - why do they have to make so many others suffer?

Old 08-07-2013, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_s View Post
I would not want to live in Ross Township without a gun or two, IMO. There is no local police protection in that community, and Lehighton barracks sometimes only had one patrol car out for their entire area while I served on the local ambulance squad (do not know if they have additional staffing now). That sometimes meant sitting outside a residence for 45 minutes waiting for the police to arrive and secure the scene before gaining access to the patient. If someone was having trouble breathing for example, that is an absolute eternity. But you never know what you will find, so we waited to be safe.
Thanks for pointing out how long it takes for the police to respond. I forgot that your police come out of the Lehighton barracks. I was aware that you had problems with response time. It has been a hot topic for many years.

The one thing I don't think that I have seen is where is the Ross Township Municipal Building? Is it right in the middle of Saylorsburg?

Old 08-07-2013, 06:31 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,538,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Update: 2 confirmed dead, 2 injured; suspect in custody at Ross Twp. municipal building | PoconoRecord.com

While the news was unexpected, I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often. So many people resort to violence rather than cooperation any more.

Let's keep posts on this subject on topic and leave gun rights to other forums. My apologies for not keeping up with the thread and allowing multiple hi-jacking posts.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:02 AM

452 posts, read 682,233 times
I see the old battle of 2nd amendment rights has once again become center stage. Rather than pour gas on an open fire, I'd like to point out an issue or two about the actual topic of the thread. From what I've read so far, there has been no mention of Newell being delinquent on his tax bill. The best reason for this man to lose his property was this: Rockne Newell, 59, had lost his property this year in a court fight over complaints that he lived in a storage shed, built an illegal culvert and used a bucket outside as a toilet. As unappealing as this sounds, I think he may have been well within his Constitutional rights to live as he wishes. Now, this is the part that makes me wonder what direction this country is going in. Apparently, this has been a long running dispute between him and city officials. Newell actually took out an on line ad to help him with his legal fee's to help him "fight city hall" so to speak. Obviously this out reach for money to aid in his legal battle failed and the end result was a man losing his home. He feels lost and destitute, snaps and ends up going on a killing spree and ruining way too many lives. Now, after all this carnage, he is in a jail cell and guess what he gets??? Free legal representation!!!! Where was the little help this man needed for years to help resolve this issue? Sorry folks, this is not about gun control. It's about the poor as well as the wealthy to be afforded the same rights as provided in the Constitution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania