Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 04:27 PM

45,434 posts, read 60,623,477 times

Advertisements

I can maybe answer that question about buying property. A lot of people will buy empty lots at Tax Sale without ever having seen the property. Then they're surprised about it being unbuildable. Happens here with marshland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 03:47 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,154,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I can maybe answer that question about buying property. A lot of people will buy empty lots at Tax Sale without ever having seen the property. Then they're surprised about it being unbuildable. Happens here with marshland.
Doesn't that argument go back to "Buyer Beware"? Many people think they are going to get something for nothing - that just doesn't happen in real life. At least; it doesn't happen on a regular basis. If you can't build on a property; it isn't worth anything except for hikers/hunters that want to get Lyme disease and West Nile virus and pay taxes.

Getting back to the case: Today they are running an article that Newell warned both the Sheriff's department and his father that there would be bloodshed: Ross Township shooting suspect telegraphed his intentions | PoconoRecord.com Should we lock up people that warn others that they are going to commit a crime? Should we search them to see if the have the means to perpetrate the crime they are 'allegedly' going to commit? Should we confiscate weapons? It might have saved lives in this case. But; we already have too many people in jail and not everybody will put actions to their words.

Last edited by fisheye; 08-08-2013 at 03:56 AM..

Old 08-08-2013, 04:10 AM

By the way, before I mentioned two heroes - but there were three: Ross Township survivor grieves for her savior | PoconoRecord.com Dave Fleetwood, "62, was the township's zoning officer and an elected supervisor in Chestnuthill Township." He pushed a woman to safety and it cost him his life.

David LaBar a neighbor also came running to assist and administered CPR trying to revive one of the wounded.

This story is a tragedy for those that died and their survivors. It should also be an inspiration to the living for the courageous people that (in one case died) trying to help.

Old 08-08-2013, 04:35 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,955,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
By the way, before I mentioned two heroes - but there were three: Ross Township survivor grieves for her savior | PoconoRecord.com Dave Fleetwood, "62, was the township's zoning officer and an elected supervisor in Chestnuthill Township." He pushed a woman to safety and it cost him his life.

David LaBar a neighbor also came running to assist and administered CPR trying to revive one of the wounded.

This story is a tragedy for those that died and their survivors. It should also be an inspiration to the living for the courageous people that (in one case died) trying to help.
Thanks Fisheye for all the additional links and information. These men that saved and assisted the victims are what should remind us all, that when the world looks ugly and bleak there truly is more beauty than ugliness. My continued prayers and thoughts for all those affected by this mans awful actions.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:51 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,100,577 times
Who purchased the land from Sheriff's sale?

Why was township so interested in this particular piece of land?

Old 08-08-2013, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Who purchased the land from Sheriff's sale?

Why was township so interested in this particular piece of land?

I believe that the one article stated that there were no bidders - so it went to the Township. I doubt if the Township had a chance to resell it - even if it could. If you want to blame this on some nefarious plot - you do the digging!

The Township did not go out and shoot Mr. Newell - he shot them. I'm kind of curious why the Sheriff's department did not take Newell's warning of bloodshed serious?

Old 08-08-2013, 10:23 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,410,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_s View Post
Perhaps it is time for these small municipalities in the area to band together and regionalize so they can have proper local police coverage.
My dad is mayor of a small town further northeast and they pay the next town over, which is slightly over, some amount each month to have police patrol our town (pop - approx 700). it's a small area, so it's easy to share a service like that amongst the two towns, but....it costs money, and lots of people don't like that part.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:45 AM

I am trying to stay away from a gun debate. We have a forum for that. The problem with this particular incident was that there was no help (police) close by. In the post by karen-s it is pointed out that police could take 45 minutes to respond. Even if there were; it probably would not have made a difference. The one next-door neighbor was asked to get his gun - but it was over by the time he got there. He did render CPR.

The two heroes that subdued Mr. Newell were proactive and they did save lives. It is impossible to rewrite this tragedy - the lines have already been written. All I am saying is that pacifism will get you killed. People have to be willing to take an active part in their own protection and those around them.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 08-08-2013 at 08:53 PM.. Reason: removed off topic quote that was previously removed

Old 08-08-2013, 10:50 AM

45,434 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I am trying to stay away from a gun debate. We have a forum for that. The problem with this particular incident was that there was no help (police) close by. In the post by karen-s it is pointed out that police could take 45 minutes to respond. Even if there were; it probably would not have made a difference. The one next-door neighbor was asked to get his gun - but it was over by the time he got there. He did render CPR.

The two heroes that subdued Mr. Newell were proactive and they did save lives. It is impossible to rewrite this tragedy - the lines have already been written. All I am saying is that pacifism will get you killed. People have to be willing to take an active part in their own protection and those around them.
And even had there been an officer on duty, would he have been at the meeting or out on patrol?

Old 08-08-2013, 01:48 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,852,763 times
Given the recent push for an armed presence at schools, some towns may become proactive to have designated 'guards' in attendance at certain meetings. They could be current/former police officers or simply trained, trusted citizens. This can be very situational as deemed necessary by the local government.

Perfect? No. Better than nothing? Sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania