Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 05:13 PM

45 posts, read 115,388 times

Advertisements

My son is in second year at La Salle. He loves it. It is a dry campus. Its not a party school but there are still parties off campus. The area around the campus is not the greatest. But school security seems to keep the peace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 09:32 AM

202 posts, read 408,476 times
I went to Marywood for my Masters. Marywood is very different from the U of S. Marywood is isolated away in a pretty high priced residential neighborhood. The U of S is smack dab in the middle of the city. The party scene is jsut ridiculous at the U. I was a commuting grad student, so I wasn't involved in the part thing at all, but from what I know, Marywood parties are few and far between. When I decided to return for grad school, I never once even considered the U of S.

In terms of academics, I absolutely loved Marywood! After I finished my Masters, I moved to Denver... But I might be moving back to do my Doctorate at Marywood.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:03 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
The social climate at most colleges and universities has really tightened up in the past 20 or so years -at least on paper.I have taught in NY at a large state university and a small private religiously affiliated school. Both have stringent rules against drinking on campus.
I think that all colleges and universities have such rules printed in their literature.Part of it is I think to act as a "disclaimer" to shield the institution from law suits.
In today's climate you would be hard pressed to find a college that does not at least condemn - on campus drinking and, it goes without saying, use of illegal substances - ON PAPER.
I graduated from a fairly competitive university in the early eighties and the had a Rathskeller on campus and did not card anyone! That would be unheard of today!
But those were different times...(as Lou Reed wrote)
Historically female colleges do tend to have a more "in loco parentis" attitude about their students, and Marywood and Seton Hill were once women's colleges so that does not surprise me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania