Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2015, 08:55 AM

11 posts, read 15,743 times

Advertisements

My husband just accepted a job in Bethlehem so we will be relocating to the area in the coming weeks. We will be renting a home, and have seen some nice (much more affordable) options in the Stroudsburg/East Stroudsburg area. How would the commute to Bethlehem be from here? He will be working 2nd shift (4pm-4am) so should not be driving during peak traffic times. Also, is this a good family area as far as schools and things to do? Thanks in advance for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 12:21 PM

8,089 posts, read 7,461,104 times
Congrats to your husband on landing the job!

We live in Shawnee, which is in Smithfield Twp and part of the East Stroudsburg (South) school district. We like it here just fine, and I believe the ES (South) public schools are good. Although we chose to send our kids to Notre Dame Catholic school and we're very happy that we did.

Our kids were always involved in Little League, Youth Football, Scouts, church, and so on. So yes, I believe it's a pretty family friendly area.

My son commuted from our house in Shawnee to a class in Bethlehem over the summer, and I think it was about 50 miles each way. I'm glad he wasn't trying to do that commute in the winter or more than once a week.

Have you looked into Hamilton Twp? That's part of the Stroudsburg School district but it's closer to Bethlehem than either Stroudsburg or East Stroudsburg.

You might also look at some communities farther down Route 33 to make it an easier commute.

Can I ask why, since you'll be renting, you don't just look for a place closer to Bethlehem?

Old 10-07-2015, 12:34 PM

Thank you for your quick response! We are definitely open to any area, but in looking at the rental market it appears that we can definitely get much more house for the money (our budget is $1500-$1700/month) if we go outside of Bethlehem. Where we live currently (Indiana) my husband commutes about 45 miles so that is something he is used to, as is the snow, but the mountains will be new to us. If we found something closer that would be great, but at this point we are looking everywhere

Old 10-07-2015, 12:49 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,167,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmharrison83 View Post
Thank you for your quick response! We are definitely open to any area, but in looking at the rental market it appears that we can definitely get much more house for the money (our budget is $1500-$1700/month) if we go outside of Bethlehem. Where we live currently (Indiana) my husband commutes about 45 miles so that is something he is used to, as is the snow, but the mountains will be new to us. If we found something closer that would be great, but at this point we are looking everywhere
Just south of the Blue Mountain the weather is usually milder. Route 33 has an exit for Windgap at the top of the mountain and one down at the bottom. Climbing that hill or descending it on Route 33 can be challenging in the winter. Even if you do have four wheel drive; others around you might not.

Just don't be quick to buy until you experience the winter commute. You might want something south of this divide. You can use the Google "Earth' program to check out altitude. The higher you get; the colder you get. Just a few hundred feet can make all of the difference in the world.

PS Welcome to the Poconos (or Lehigh Valley)!

Old 10-15-2015, 01:25 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,114,916 times
That commute should be no problem, except that:
-There is currently construction on Rt. 33 somewhere around Saylorsburg that may slow him down on the way to work until it is over. Not sure if this affects southbound, northbound, or both.
If he has to cross the hill-to-hill (Rt. 378) bridge in Bethlehem going southbound on the way to work at 4pm, it starts to jam up around 3:30pm or so. Also 22 west starts to slow down on the last mile approaching 378 south around that time. If his workplace is on the north side of Bethlehem then neither of these should be an issue.

Old 10-15-2015, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnZ963 View Post
That commute should be no problem, except that:
-There is currently construction on Rt. 33 somewhere around Saylorsburg that may slow him down on the way to work until it is over. Not sure if this affects southbound, northbound, or both.
If he has to cross the hill-to-hill (Rt. 378) bridge in Bethlehem going southbound on the way to work at 4pm, it starts to jam up around 3:30pm or so. Also 22 west starts to slow down on the last mile approaching 378 south around that time. If his workplace is on the north side of Bethlehem then neither of these should be an issue.
Some, on this forum or used to be on this forum, did not like that commute as a daily commute. Route 33 can be dangerous. I never had any problems with 33 as a truck driver - but I was bigger than most motorist!

My problem I have with the OP's problem is that why do any commute if you don't have to? If you can relocate; why not relocate as close as possible to your work/schools/shopping/medical/ or whatever?

For the sake of argument lets say that the daily roundtrip commute between E. Stroudsburg and Bethlehem is 100 miles. I know that most people do not work fifty two weeks a year, but if they did, that would be about 25,000 mile/year on their vehicle. Your resale value goes down pretty quick with 20 or 25K miles/year. And I am not even mentioning the cost of maintenance and upkeep/fuel. Of course there are many NYker's that do twice that millage on this forum - but they do not do that by choice (which is the question the OP is asking).

Old 10-16-2015, 09:08 PM

769 posts, read 1,015,994 times
thank goodness you are renting.

whatever you do, do not purchase a home in Monroe County.

The taxes are obscene. Some of the highest in the country when weighed against the actual property value.

Lehigh Valley (Bethlehem) is a much more modern area with better schools and more modern amenities.

Old 10-21-2015, 07:57 PM

Thank you all for the input. We are coming from a very low cost of living area in Indiana and it seems like the Stroudsburg area has more single family rental homes at a much lower cost. After speaking to many ppl though, it seems like this commute might be a bit much, especially since my husband will be working 2nd shift and I worry about the roads at night (and we do not have 4 wheel drive vehicles). I think we will be focusing south of wind gap, even if we may not get quite the bang for our buck. Hubby's safety is top priority

Old 10-22-2015, 08:29 AM

8,089 posts, read 7,461,104 times
Quote:
Thank you all for the input. We are coming from a very low cost of living area in Indiana and it seems like the Stroudsburg area has more single family rental homes at a much lower cost. After speaking to many ppl though, it seems like this commute might be a bit much, especially since my husband will be working 2nd shift and I worry about the roads at night (and we do not have 4 wheel drive vehicles). I think we will be focusing south of wind gap, even if we may not get quite the bang for our buck. Hubby's safety is top priority

Good idea. There are a number of nice little towns down that way. Also think of the lower cost of commuting (gas, wear & tear, etc)

Old 10-22-2015, 02:39 PM

Quote:
You can try posting again on our Lehigh Valley forum: http://www.city-data.com/forum/lehigh-valley/. Take advantage of the 'sticky's' posted in the first two threads - they are very helpful to anybody looking to relocate.

Anyplace on the south side of the Blue Mountain will be an easier and, in general, a 'safer' commute for your husband.

Good luck and I hope you find what you are looking for!

PS Sorry; I see you already posted on that forum - still I wish you good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania