Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 10:20 PM

32,623 posts, read 77,744,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
Take it from me, if you are in your 50's do not live anywhere where there are 20 & 30 year olds. I made the mistake of moving to Mountaintop. I am in my 50's. These younger people just want people around their own age with kids living by them. And believe me they let you know how unwanted you are in their area. Its been a living hell for me. Can't even find a good friend up here. Around my age. So move anywhere but Mountaintop.
Mountain Top and much of the Back Mountain are magnet areas for young transplant families. I'm sorry to hear that you're being "ostracized" by your neighbors. I live in a subdivision as well in Pittston, and we're a blend of all different ages. Even though we're all a bunch of upper-middle-class white folks, we still have our differences and respect one another for them. Isn't there a "Welcome Wagon" group in Mountain Top?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 11:02 PM

703 posts, read 1,549,595 times
With all due respect, it sounds like he's blaming others for his own personal inadequacies. I can completely understand a negative perception of young people if you live near one of the many college-kid "frat" type homes adjacent to Mulberry Street in Scranton. That's hardly much of an environment for the middle-aged. But Mountaintop? There's something not right going on here.

But, we're all helpful people here, so how can we help you out, Polaris?

Old 08-19-2008, 07:04 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,982,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Commish View Post
With all due respect, it sounds like he's blaming others for his own personal inadequacies. I can completely understand a negative perception of young people if you live near one of the many college-kid "frat" type homes adjacent to Mulberry Street in Scranton. That's hardly much of an environment for the middle-aged. But Mountaintop? There's something not right going on here.

But, we're all helpful people here, so how can we help you out, Polaris?
I agree. I highly doubt that people in Mountaintop will "shun" someone just because they're older and don't have kids. I've lived in younger neighborhoods, and have never seen older people treated badly, and I've lived in older neighborhoods where younger people are accepted (well, provided they're not partying like Animal House, anyways).

There's some missing pieces to that story.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:43 AM

103 posts, read 361,972 times
Nope, no missing pieces. They are not friendly up here at all. And its not just me saying it. I have talked to alot of people way older than me and are originally from Mountaintop and cannot believe how it is there now. But I will admit that in another development that my husband and I walk in at evening the people are more friendlier. But then then are more around our age. And yes people do shun older people and if you don't have children. I have friends from my hometown that do that to me. Say my life is worth nothing because I have no children. But then these people don't have good jobs and their husbands didn't even graduate high school! So I consider the source.
I think living out in the country with a few acres around you is the best answer. But at the time I couldn't move that far because I had to be close to my dying mom. We are definitely going to move as soon as my husband retires in a few years. Get away from all these nuts up here.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:45 AM

193 posts, read 543,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FightinPhils View Post
I agree. I highly doubt that people in Mountaintop will "shun" someone just because they're older and don't have kids. I've lived in younger neighborhoods, and have never seen older people treated badly, and I've lived in older neighborhoods where younger people are accepted (well, provided they're not partying like Animal House, anyways).

There's some missing pieces to that story.
I think you are right, i live in an area that most of the people are older then my family and the one old lady across the start has become like my best friend, she even watchs my children cause her grandchildren are in nyc and she misses them.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:49 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,982,185 times
Quote:
Nope, no missing pieces. They are not friendly up here at all. And its not just me saying it. I have talked to alot of people way older than me and are originally from Mountaintop and cannot believe how it is there now. But I will admit that in another development that my husband and I walk in at evening the people are more friendlier. But then then are more around our age. And yes people do shun older people and if you don't have children. I have friends from my hometown that do that to me. Say my life is worth nothing because I have no children. But then these people don't have good jobs and their husbands didn't even graduate high school! So I consider the source.
I think living out in the country with a few acres around you is the best answer. But at the time I couldn't move that far because I had to be close to my dying mom. We are definitely going to move as soon as my husband retires in a few years. Get away from all these nuts up here.
Well, maybe its just your particular neighbors. It is possible to get bad neighbors wherever you go. People shun older people if they don't have kids? Funny, I'm younger and have kids and get along just fine with older neighbors. You don't like when someone says that your life is worth nothing because you don't have kids, yet in your next statement, you degrade someone for not having what you feel is a "good job" or does not have enough education for your tastes. Sounds like the pot calling the kettle black.

Are you also the types that yell or get mad if kids throw a ball into your yard or walk on your grass? That could have something to do with not being accepted. I've found that if you're nice to people, even if they're living a different lifestyle from you, you'll get along with others just fine.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:01 AM

2 posts, read 4,518 times
Default NJ wants to move to Scranton

Hi, I saw your post, I am originally from the Scranton Area...Olyphant. You've been provided with some escellent information. I'd like to suggest, you also seek rental opportunities in the Olyphant, Jessup, Blakely and Throop and Dickson City towns on outskirts of Scranton. What made you decide on the Scranton area?

Old 10-02-2008, 09:44 PM

330 posts, read 1,315,504 times
Quote:
You are right about that. These young families with children do not have a leg to stand on. What do they offer their children? They didn't go to college and their children probably won't either. The cycle of poverty repeats itself. There are many good paying blue collar jobs for men. Women have fewer choices. But, they are diminishing with each decade. Women are having babies are soon as they are physically able to do so. There is more to life than popping out babies you can't afford and smoking pot. Brain Fry City! I prefer well rounded people who have life experience and a college education to these simpletons who probably have nothing intelligent to say anyway.

Old 10-13-2008, 06:50 PM

16 posts, read 41,449 times
WHERE is the best parts in the scranton or around for somebody to live;thanks

Old 10-13-2008, 07:28 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,907,355 times
If you want neighborly love move near me LOL, I can't walk my Pomeranian and Miniature Pinscher without someone asking to pet them. The Mayflower Park is always filled with kids getting along and I run into many other dogwalkers who say hello.

To keep this post on topic, move on into the Wilkes Barre heights 50Something if you desire interaction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania