Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 11:52 AM

433 posts, read 962,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coartist88 View Post
Just ask away...what specific info do you need...clarks summit is about 6
miles from scranton...
Thank you. Is Clarks Summit near any major universities? I'm not wanting to live near college students. Been there, done that. I'd like to live where there is an older population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 11:57 AM

2,317 posts, read 5,140,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50something View Post
Thank you. Is Clarks Summit near any major universities? I'm not wanting to live near college students. Been there, done that. I'd like to live where there is an older population.
I believe the closest college is keystone and thats a cooking school also
marywood,but they are both about 6 miles away,I would say mostly middle
age family people in the area I'm in.

Old 08-16-2008, 11:59 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,720,877 times
Well, if you decide not to head to Scranton. Brodheadsville/Effort has some 3 level townhomes for reasonable ( some for sale by owners) beautiful views and low monthly fees.
There is also a 55+ community on 715 that are attached homes, and townhomes up on a mountain with huge gorgeous grounds........very, very, quiet. Pine Brook I think the name was........it goes under Saylorsburg.
I'm sure someone will respond with quiet areas in Scranton also........just give it a minute.....LOL

Old 08-16-2008, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coartist88 View Post
I believe the closest college is keystone and thats a cooking school also
marywood,but they are both about 6 miles away,I would say mostly middle
age family people in the area I'm in.
I did the Wikipedia thing on Scranton, and I really liked what I read on the demographics, especially the age stats from the 2000 Census.

Old 08-16-2008, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
Well, if you decide not to head to Scranton. Brodheadsville/Effort has some 3 level townhomes for reasonable ( some for sale by owners) beautiful views and low monthly fees.
There is also a 55+ community on 715 that are attached homes, and townhomes up on a mountain with huge gorgeous grounds........very, very, quiet. Pine Brook I think the name was........it goes under Saylorsburg.
I'm sure someone will respond with quiet areas in Scranton also........just give it a minute.....LOL
well...put....summering...

Old 08-16-2008, 12:01 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,785,968 times
There are quite a few colleges in the Scranton area, but you wouldn't think you were living in a college town by no means. The apartments I suggested to you have little or no students in them, too expensive for student housing for most kids. Scranton itself has The Unversity of Scranton, and they do have dorms. I don't think any of the other colleges have dorm facilites, most are commuters or have apartments somewhere, but I don't think there are any areas that are 'all college students'. The Penn State campus has only about 1,200 students.
If you are looking for an older polulation I don't know where to suggest. Just about everywhere in NEPA is a mix of older folks, young folks and young and middle aged families with kids. Clarks Summit included, as it is a well sought after school district. While I love Clarks Summmit myself, there are not many rental opportunities there that I know of.

Old 08-16-2008, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
There are quite a few colleges in the Scranton area, but you wouldn't think you were living in a college town by no means. The apartments I suggested to you have little or no students in them, too expensive for student housing for most kids. Scranton itself has The Unversity of Scranton, and they do have dorms. I don't think any of the other colleges have dorm facilites, most are commuters or have apartments somewhere, but I don't think there are any areas that are 'all college students'. The Penn State campus has only about 1,200 students.
If you are looking for an older polulation I don't know where to suggest. Just about everywhere in NEPA is a mix of older folks, young folks and young and middle aged families with kids. Clarks Summit included, as it is a well sought after school district. While I love Clarks Summmit myself, there are not many rental opportunities there that I know of.
WOW...2 posts today....great...post....

Old 08-16-2008, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
:-) Thank you Summering, This is very helpful -- I'm wanting to rent for right now -- I'm 53, so I don't think they'd let me in LOL. Any ideas on duplux/th rentals?

Old 08-16-2008, 12:10 PM

Default Should I get out my ROCKING CHAIR????

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
Oh, I don't mind being in a mix of ages, but I was seeking predominantly older folks. I currently live in Marlton NJ and am renting in a large apt community where there is a mixture of ages, although there are a lot of senior citizens here (like me ).

Old 08-16-2008, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50something View Post
Oh, I don't mind being in a mix of ages, but I was seeking predominantly older folks. I currently live in Marlton NJ and am renting in a large apt community where there is a mixture of ages, although there are a lot of senior citizens here (like me ).
53 isn't a senior citizen....you are as young as you feel...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania