Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Pennsylvania: real estate, market, sell our house, mortgage, realtor.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 04:08 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,591,433 times

Advertisements

I wonder why more NYC/NJ transplants won't move to the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area so that they can enjoy the lower cost-of-living with less of the "culture shock" since we're still a relatively decent-sized area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 04:20 PM

159 posts, read 693,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I wonder why more NYC/NJ transplants won't move to the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area so that they can enjoy the lower cost-of-living with less of the "culture shock" since we're still a relatively decent-sized area?
Knowing what I know now, I would not have minded that move one bit. At the time though, since we have friends and family in Middletown, NY and hearing the realtor describe this place as modern, fast paced and fast growing made us think that a) it would be perfect for us and b) what it was lacking would be here within a couple of years (shopping, PAVED ROAD, etc.). At least, that's how she made it seem. Little did I know that fast paced here was measured by the decade .

I also figured with it being in between Scranton and Middletown, it would have to be somewhere in between "culture" wise. Little did I know it was the land that time forgot .

Old 11-17-2008, 04:36 PM

193 posts, read 542,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxy38 View Post
omg....I dont know where your living but it sounds like your with the Beverly Hillbillies!! Come on that cant be the case. I live in NEPA and donot find anybody here like your describing. If thats the way you really feel than you really do need to move. I think that your friends are putting down something they no nothing about. I think it kind of reminds me of ignorance at its best.
Roxxy Where do you live in the area where i live it's common to find a trailer and no washer or dryer around to be had. On my road there is about 20 trailers with multiple abandon cars and outside shacks that are about to fall down. It really depends what part of NEPA you are talking. Because this place is very diverse

Old 11-17-2008, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Kwiktsi, please don't label everyone in NEPA as being "simple." One need only head just northwest of Scranton to the Abingtons or just south of Scranton to Glenmaura or Greater Pittston to find a BMW and Audi adorning every other driveway. McMansions are popping up here like hemorrhoids. I know of at least two women who head to New York City regularly to keep up with the latest fashion trends. There are just as many materialists in the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area as any other medium-sized metropolitan area.

To be fair you did NOT do your homework before you purchased your home. Pike County is what it is---a rural, laid-back area where people light up around hunting season, look forward to meeting friends at the grocery store, vote Republican, volunteer in their communities, and take pride in having deer as their backyard pets. While Pike County has consistently been the fastest-growing of Pennsylvania's sixty-seven counties, it is still very largely rural. No offense intended on behalf of Summering, DavidWebb, or our other fine Monroe County contributors on this forum, but after spending considerable time in The Stroudsburgs and getting that "attitude" it's certainly not an area I'd like to call home. Pike County is a world apart.

People there are genteel small-town folks. If they're "simple" in your eyes, then so be it. They'd also be the first ones to rush over in their pajamas to give you a warm cup of coffee and a blanket if your home were to catch fire some night. They'd also be the first ones to rush into your home to perform the Heimlich maneuver on your choking child after hearing about the incident on their police scanner. They'd also be the first ones to pull over in their pick-up trucks (complete with Bush/Cheney bumper sticker) to help you change your flat tire. They'd be the first to throw you a charity spaghetti dinner at the village church to help raise money for your spouse after learning of his or her diagnosis with a chronic and/or life-threatening illness. Don't knock the very same folks who may prove their weight in gold someday. No, they may not have college degrees or European SUVs (or in some cases even all of their teeth), but I'd take neighbors like those ANYDAY over the latte-sipping and PDA-pounding fakes I'll probably be befriending when I move into a loft in the city to pursue my career ambitions.

I've grown up in Greater Pittston's materialistic and rapidly-expanding suburbs, and I'd NEVER wish such an environment upon my own future children. Why do most people build McMansions and drive Jaguars anyways? It's to feel better about themselves, pure and simple. Purchasing such assets leads one to believe "Hey, I'm successful." A Jaguar is an upscale-looking Ford (literally). Nothing else besides a fancier hood ornament and more exorbitant price tag. Similarly, a yuppie is only a dressed-up bumpkin. Inside we all have a heart, stomach, capillaries, and tendons. On the outside though we just make ourselves appear differently because deep down inside some of us are just a tad bit insecure. You drive a Corvette and a Porsche. Good for you. Everyone in my family and extended family is college-educated and has a stable, lucrative career. Do you see me bragging about my engineer brother-in-law, professional NFL cheerleader cousin, or FBI agent uncle? No. Why? Humility is a beautiful thing, my friend. Those who are truly successful in their lives feel no reason to make others feel insecure about their own lives by rubbing that aforementioned success into the faces of others.

Just remember that you can't take your Dolce & Gabbana sunglasses, Prada handbag, or Audi TT Roadster with you when you pass away. What you can do with your affluence though is leave an everlasting legacy of altruism. To this day everyone knows the name "Carnegie." Similarly, if I ever find myself to be in possession of great financial wealth I hope to donate as much of my good fortune as possible to as many important causes as possible to make sure the name "ScranBarre" lives on forever as well. Bill & Melinda Gates won't just die as "stuck-up rich people." They'll die knowing that they helped to medicate and improve the lives of countless third-world Africans. Think about that the next time you put down your neighbors for being "lesser than thou."

WOW what a mouthful LOL All i will say is that people who don't have anything will always have something to say about people who do! and vice versa that just the way it will always be !

Old 11-17-2008, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebunnie69 View Post
Roxxy Where do you live in the area where i live it's common to find a trailer and no washer or dryer around to be had. On my road there is about 20 trailers with multiple abandon cars and outside shacks that are about to fall down. It really depends what part of NEPA you are talking. Because this place is very diverse
I agree 100%.

Old 11-17-2008, 04:50 PM

Quote:

Your right, I wish when we had made the decision to move here 3 years ago we would have moved to the scranton area. So much closer to everything, my hubby would be only 5 minutes to work. But unfortaly i moved to be close to my mother-in-law ughhh another mistake but thats another long story

Old 11-17-2008, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebunnie69 View Post
WOW what a mouthful LOL All i will say is that people who don't have anything will always have something to say about people who do! and vice versa that just the way it will always be !
The problem is I never said anything about those who don't, yet they feel the need to insult me and call me materialistic because I do have SOME nice things... If I'm being materialistic, then they must be being envious - and it kills me to type that because I am honestly not the "bragging" type about anything I have or have had... I am the quiet, "keep to myself" type for the most part..

Old 11-17-2008, 04:52 PM

936 posts, read 2,397,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwiktsi View Post
I'm done with this. You guys want to twist this how you see fit, so enjoy.. I'm too busy trying to get out of the twilight zone I currently live in and back to civilization to waste any more time trying to explain to people who only want to see things their way. Enjoy your life how you see fit and I'll do the same.
This comment is the problem, not your washer and dryer. You dont even realize how many people you are offending by saying "back to civilization". We only see your obvious hateful words to our lifestyle and dont like it. Your values are not just different, you make us seem like garbage compared to your friends and the life you left. Its amazing how stupid I think alot of your comments are. Washer and dryer...my washer and dryer is also expensive...thats not the point. You have to grow up and go back to wherever you came from and maybe somewhere down the road you will become a man!!!

Old 11-17-2008, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxy38 View Post
This comment is the problem, not your washer and dryer. You dont even realize how many people you are offending by saying "back to civilization". We only see your obvious hateful words to our lifestyle and dont like it. Your values are not just different, you make us seem like garbage compared to your friends and the life you left. Its amazing how stupid I think alot of your comments are. Washer and dryer...my washer and dryer is also expensive...thats not the point. You have to grow up and go back to wherever you came from and maybe somewhere down the road you will become a man!!!
OK, so me saying that this isn't a "normal" lifestyle for me is insulting to you, but saying I'm materialistic and immature for liking nice things is not equally insulting to me? I was stating truths- it IS a completely different lifestyle here-one which **I PERSONALLY** don't like, my friends HAVE called it "deliverance", "Hillbilly Ghetto", etc. when visiting, my father DID visit and say "you gotta get the hell out of this dump, I told you- take my house for now just to get out of here", etc. this is stuff that did happen and was just mentioned to explain my side of things as well. It is not meant to be an insult to anyone, hey- if you like it- I'm happy for you- honestly. Just saying that ***I*** cannot live like this. Hell, I am used to being able to go anywhere any time of day or night for food, drinks, shopping, etc.- their claim to fame here is a SINGLE McDonalds that closes at like 10-11pm lol.. Come on, if you can't see that as a "different world" to me, then you are the one who is being closed minded here..

LMAO at the become a man comment though- you guys are the only ones resorting to insults here.. Enjoy your "lifestyle" and I'll enjoy mine- I even said that in the post you quoted.. I have said in EVERY POST of mine so far that I DON'T FAULT ANYONE FOR ANYTHING, so quit taking it so damn personally.

Last edited by kwiktsi; 11-17-2008 at 05:10 PM..

Old 11-17-2008, 06:08 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,007,583 times
Well, compared to what it was like around here 20 years ago this area IS growing fast. I mean, heck, that Mr. Z's and McDonald's and the gas stations, etc. have not been there very long - I remember that place being a vast wasteland not so long ago.

Growing up here I have a different outlook and a different perspective -and I try to tell people that *my* opinion really doesn't matter, everything is very subjective.

For instance, people who are selling a little cabin that has no running water and a cute outhouse and quaint 1940's woodworking think their place is a slice of heaven compared to their typical suburban home in Philly. Other people come and think "Wow, what kind of hillbillies live without running water?"

Pike County *is* the fastest growing county in the state, and as of last year it was still the fastest growing county in the northeast United States. Lots of people come here, yes, and many of them think "Wow, this place is so lame, it is not for me..."

Others come here and take a deep breath and are thankful for the mountains and the trees and the rural "wildness".

I look around and feel sad that it's "building up" so much - I am an outdoors-girl, the best way for me to spend the day is sitting on a log by a pond and listening to the rustling sounds of squirrels and birds. Nearby Scranton is enough for me for shopping and movies. I was sad that Hawley now NEEDS traffic lights - kwim?

On the other hand, I'm proud that so many people want to come here, to my home and I'm happy to share it with them - but I am careful about yakking it up too much - it really is a matter of perspective, and again, it's so subjective.

I'm sorry that you're not happy here - (my husband, a St. Louis boy, isn't exactly thrilled wiht the Poconos either, LOL...and he's been here over 20 years...mostly he hates the weather.) hopefully you'll be able to sell your house and move on to some place where you will be happier.

and hearing about your vette really makes me miss my old Iroc-Z 28 Camaro. It was black, with T-tops - boy was that car hot...but really not meant for The Pocs! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania