Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 06:55 PM

936 posts, read 2,398,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveinbloom View Post
Sorry...but the folks I ran into at Wal-mart the few times I went in there could give any Long Islander worth their salt a run for their money. I am talking customers not employees. I will not shop there...I guess the expierences I had with other shoppers equate to "you get what you pay for".
Its funny I went to Walmart in Dickson City after school today and had a very pleasant experience. People seem nice enough for me, but I can understand what you mean. When I lived in Brooklyn I used to curse whenever I went to the Supermarket, I had a problem each and every time. Either with a customer or with an employee!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 07:56 PM

889 posts, read 2,575,277 times
I will be very disappointed when the Sunshine Market on Rt 319 closes up.

I was driving by today, saw theye were still open, made a u-turn and went it and spent some money there. It's still fully stocked and going strong. It's definitely an old school kind of place, and that's what makes it so nice and different. The wide aisles, the enormously long deli meat counter, the wide aisles, the huge signs and lettering. They always had a great selection of specialty baked goods from the local baks shops in the local area.

Three things stood out today, they don't even try to be hip, new or modern. That's a good thing, if they did, it would ruin the experience. And, for the mostly common, everyday ordinary things they do carry, they stock all possible varieties, sizes and flavors of the brand, like Campbells and Knoors soups, the various regional potato chips brands, pretzels, frozen foods, all kinds of olive oil (note: bigger selection than Wegmans), and the local mom-and-pop bakery items in that rectangular section of the store. And lastly, their aisles, bins and shelves are laid out big and wide, nothing is crowded or stuffed into a too-small slot or shelf.

Does anyone else notice that they carry some varieties and flavors of brand names you can't get see elsewhere, or am I over-imagining this?

Old 10-31-2009, 07:58 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
I haven't shopped at Walmart in four years. There are numerous reasons. I have had bad experiences with rude, self important employees enough that I have no patience for them.

We shop at Wegman's and Target.

Old 11-01-2009, 05:49 AM

1,162 posts, read 3,008,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxy38 View Post
As far as the rumors about Hooters: That was printed in a local free magazine. Thats how that got started.

I heard that there cannot be 2 of the same stores that close to each other. I am not sure about the space in betweeen the two businesses. And I was told by someone that Weis is keeping the store that was originally Mr. Z's. I also heard they lost their lease in the other store. Hey your right this could be 100 % wrong. I hope not though.
I hope this is not true because I really have grown to love the Weis across from Kundlas. I never liked the Mr. Z's and have not been in there in years, even after it switched to Weis. It was always icky and dirty IMHO.

I'm familiar with the one across from Kundlas; I liked it before it was remodeled....been shopping there on and off for 15 years. I really don't like to have to learn new floor plans, and the current location is big enough for me...if I want a BIG STORE experience I'll go to Wegmans.

Old 11-01-2009, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenRice View Post
I hope this is not true because I really have grown to love the Weis across from Kundlas. I never liked the Mr. Z's and have not been in there in years, even after it switched to Weis. It was always icky and dirty IMHO.

I'm familiar with the one across from Kundlas; I liked it before it was remodeled....been shopping there on and off for 15 years. I really don't like to have to learn new floor plans, and the current location is big enough for me...if I want a BIG STORE experience I'll go to Wegmans.
Well I am not sure this is true! I hate telling something and then it turns out wrong. The only thing I heard is that Weis is changing whether its true or not remains to be seen.

I agree with you about the Mr. Z's. I went into that store because someone told me it was remodeled (another rumor). I went to get coffee and when I looked at the date it was outdated 3 years, so that means it was probably on the shelf for 5 years. Funny I went to the manager to tell him and to him it was a joke...he asked if I wanted to purchase it at 1/2 price. Well that was the last time I went in there. I like to watch dates on food products but there are many still without dates. I feel more safer in a store that has a higher volume. Freshness is my priority when shopping not the price.

Old 11-01-2009, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I haven't shopped at Walmart in four years. There are numerous reasons. I have had bad experiences with rude, self important employees enough that I have no patience for them.

We shop at Wegman's and Target.
I am partial to Wegman's because of their quality fresh produce dept. I tend to buy more than I need though .

Old 11-01-2009, 07:51 AM

When it comes to a beautiful store, I don't think ANY can top Wegmans.

Old 11-01-2009, 06:38 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,667,671 times
Its true. Wegmans are awesome.........a pure delight to shop at.
I love the one in Dickson City.

I must say that this weekend Shop Rite had some great sales....A 5lb bag of potatoes for 57cents.
A gallon of Shop Rite orange juice for $1.47 ( and it was delicious too).......all kinds of great sales.
Butter $1.77!

I like that all of Shop Rites items are good. Nothing is bland or old..........Its all fresh and tasty.

And............since it is closer to me then a Wegmans, I tend to shop there.

Old 11-01-2009, 06:47 PM

There used to be a Cost Rite in Eynon, by the Burlington Coat Factory/Baby Depot. It was like a discount Shop Rite - great prices, nice variety, mostly Shop Rite brand. I was heartbroken when it shut down. [] [] []

Old 11-08-2009, 03:45 PM

64 posts, read 234,915 times
I shop at Shop-Rite most of the time, but do go to Weis for sale items and things that are always inexpensive there, like the store-brand ice cream and yogurt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania