Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2009, 06:13 PM

1 posts, read 9,711 times

Advertisements

I have been offered a great job in Tobyhanna Pa. Just wanted to know what is like to live there? Also I have a special needs child and wanted to know about the special education programs in the public schools or any schools there? Has anyone got any information they care to share?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 06:45 AM

81 posts, read 276,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara1 View Post
I have been offered a great job in Tobyhanna Pa. Just wanted to know what is like to live there? Also I have a special needs child and wanted to know about the special education programs in the public schools or any schools there? Has anyone got any information they care to share?
Well from what I know that its very expensive to live in Monroe County. I suggest that you live in Luzerne county its cheaper. I travel to Tobyhanna everyday myself from Avoca to work its about 31 miles. As for the winter's there they are brutal cause your on top of the mountain. It could be snowing in Toby and when I get of the mountain there is nothing. I would really look into Luzerne County trust me. Maybe Avoca, Dupont, Moosic, Duryea, or Pittston. They are all about the same distance. I live in Avoca and its a very nice little town. Got any other questions, just ask.

Old 01-31-2009, 02:00 PM

1 posts, read 9,614 times
Monroe County is very expensive you may want to look more towards Wayne County the lower end of Wayne County is only about 15 minutes from Toby and houses are fairly inexpensive. The school districts there are Wallenpaupack and North Pocono. The Wallenpaupack district is a very good school system do not know for sure about North Pocono but have heard good things about it we live in the Newfoundland area. Make sure you check out realtors up this way too Century 21 select group in Hamlin is very good and have nice people, our taxes are less than half of what pocono mountain school district is. Hope this helps.

Old 01-31-2009, 08:08 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,008,246 times
I have friends who live in Tanglwood near Lake Wallenpaupack as well as Pocono springs Estates near Newfoundland who work at Tobyhanna. Wallenpaupack has a great reputation; never heard anything bad about North Pocono either. I would suggest looking elsewhere to live - Wayne, and some parts of Pike County...

Skyview Lake is another idea but there isn't much there - Pocono Springs has a LOT of nice amenities like a kiddie pool, regular pool, lake, game room, etc and the dues are not very expensive comparatively speaking. They're pretty cheap for what you get. Pocono Springs is one of my favorite developments around here.

Old 02-01-2009, 07:35 AM

996 posts, read 3,278,890 times
I am from the Greentown area (near Tanglwood) and worked at Tobyhanna for many years. It's an easy commute of approximately 30 minutes each way. My kids attend Wallenpaupack Area and I have only good things to say about the district. Many on this board have discussed the special ed programs at the area schools (Wallenpaupack, Western Wayne, N. Pocono), so you may want to do a seach and find some of those threads in order to get more info on that topic. The area is rural, but there are many developments around that are like living in a small town.

Old 02-01-2009, 07:18 PM

56 posts, read 203,293 times
How are your winters- do you get any of that winter fog [inversions from the mountains or whatnot]? How about spring- do you have a lot of black flies and mosquitoes?

Old 02-02-2009, 06:05 AM

996 posts, read 3,278,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiak View Post
How are your winters- do you get any of that winter fog [inversions from the mountains or whatnot]? How about spring- do you have a lot of black flies and mosquitoes?
No winter fog here. Spring brings bugs, but I don't think black flies are much of a problem around here. We do get alot of may flies in the spring. Mosquitoes will depend on whether you live near a pond or other wet, swampy area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania