Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 01:49 PM

343 posts, read 604,233 times

Advertisements

Lialleycat, I agree with you 100%. That's the situation I'm in now. I was laid-off in January. I have a B.A. and I've been turned down for a few jobs already because, as you say, I'm overqualified. The last job i interviewed for asked if I was ready to leave the industry that I was in before. I said yes. But, I would have taken the job regardless, because it is a job and at this point would have paid the bills. So, right now, I'm collecting and doing some freelance work on the side. I doing ok but I have to be very careful. I'm still considering leaving this area. Yes, the economy is bad everywhere, but this hasn't been a stellar area to find decent paying employment, especially not in what I want to do. I love when the tv stations and papers used to shout triumphantly "New jobs coming to the area - distribution center will open soon." The majority of those jobs don't pay a living wage. There is a factory nearby me that expects you not to take any time off at all, nothing. I'm sorry but we aren't computers and even they break down eventually. Thanks for letting me vent my 2 cents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 02:25 PM

1,815 posts, read 5,400,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie2008 View Post
Lialleycat, I agree with you 100%. That's the situation I'm in now. I was laid-off in January. I have a B.A. and I've been turned down for a few jobs already because, as you say, I'm overqualified. The last job i interviewed for asked if I was ready to leave the industry that I was in before. I said yes. But, I would have taken the job regardless, because it is a job and at this point would have paid the bills. So, right now, I'm collecting and doing some freelance work on the side. I doing ok but I have to be very careful. I'm still considering leaving this area. Yes, the economy is bad everywhere, but this hasn't been a stellar area to find decent paying employment, especially not in what I want to do. I love when the tv stations and papers used to shout triumphantly "New jobs coming to the area - distribution center will open soon." The majority of those jobs don't pay a living wage. There is a factory nearby me that expects you not to take any time off at all, nothing. I'm sorry but we aren't computers and even they break down eventually. Thanks for letting me vent my 2 cents.
You're welcome. Keep working hard, it will pay off in the end. At least that's what I keep telling myself!

Old 03-06-2009, 10:25 PM

32,619 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Jackie, I share your resentment of the local fixation upon distribution centers. Rob Mericle, a local commercial real estate magnate, is being "hushed" out of the current scandal rocking the Luzerne County Courthouse simply because people "respect" all of the "high-paying" jobs he's brought to Luzerne County, even though I probably earn as much currently in retail sales as 90% of those working on the warehouse floors of the buildings he's built! This man has turned my own hometown of Pittston Township from rural hamlet into congested boom 'burb, and many of us here RESENT him dearly for that---I still personally resent him for lying to my face at a township meeting when I asked him about his plans to incorporate Wall Street West into his Center Point project. To this date all that is STILL available in Center Point are low-wage distribution center jobs!

Why do you think I FINALLY came to my senses and decided to move out of NEPA? I may be a little fish in a big pond in NoVA, but at least there's more diversity, more open-mindedness, more political diversity, more economic opportunity, and, most importantly---a bigger dating pool for moi! For how much I'll miss NEPA, I realize that one of the things I liked MOST about our region was how close it was to other areas instead of just being happy with it in its current state (which after traveling I realize needs a LOT of improvement, especially places like Edwardsville!)

Old 03-07-2009, 02:29 AM

1,815 posts, read 5,400,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Why do you think I FINALLY came to my senses and decided to move out of NEPA? I may be a little fish in a big pond in NoVA, but at least there's more diversity, more open-mindedness, more political diversity, more economic opportunity, and, most importantly---a bigger dating pool for moi! For how much I'll miss NEPA, I realize that one of the things I liked MOST about our region was how close it was to other areas instead of just being happy with it in its current state (which after traveling I realize needs a LOT of improvement, especially places like Edwardsville!)
Did you hear back yet? NoVa is a nice area, it was on my list for consideration, but with my family still being on LI, I wanted to be slightly closer than that, so it came back off my list. Of course, as I get older, I don't tolerate driving as much. Used to be a 10 hour drive was no big deal! Now 4 hours is about my limit before things start to cramp up! LOL!

Old 03-07-2009, 07:18 AM

32,619 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lialleycat View Post
Did you hear back yet? NoVa is a nice area, it was on my list for consideration, but with my family still being on LI, I wanted to be slightly closer than that, so it came back off my list. Of course, as I get older, I don't tolerate driving as much. Used to be a 10 hour drive was no big deal! Now 4 hours is about my limit before things start to cramp up! LOL!
Yes. I officially have the offer to relocate to the Dulles Airport area in NoVA, and I've accepted. Driving isn't a big hassle for me. I'd be about four hours from NEPA living in the DC area. I just drove about 4.5 hours each way on Wednesday and Thursday to Pittsburgh, and it didn't bother me one bit.

Old 03-07-2009, 07:47 AM

2,473 posts, read 5,454,994 times
Quote:
Yes. I officially have the offer to relocate to the Dulles Airport area in NoVA, and I've accepted. Driving isn't a big hassle for me. I'd be about four hours from NEPA living in the DC area. I just drove about 4.5 hours each way on Wednesday and Thursday to Pittsburgh, and it didn't bother me one bit.
Congratulations Paul!!! That's GREAT news!! I've been prayin' for you!!

A good friend of mine & his wife live in NoVa. They worked for years at the same computer place there. Now the company closed it's doors, so they & 3000 other people are outta work!! Now they're looking to relocate to Jacksonville for work...

Good time to get in.....

Old 03-07-2009, 09:40 AM

343 posts, read 604,233 times
Quote:

Congrats Paul! That is awesome news! I know you had your heart set on staying here, but, there are defintely more opps in other places. Seems like the rich in the area get richer and the poor get poorer and it doesn't seem like it is going to change, in my opinion. I'm considering moving to either the Philly burbs or South Carolina myself, but, I'm going to have a bit of a tougher time moving than you would. I have a house with a mortgage (not a big one; did some repairs on it a few years ago) but I want to see what else is out there. Plus, I'm getting sick of winter more and more each year. I wish that I moved when I was your age, but, life happened as they say. My mother got sick and died when I was 23; my dad, 29. I was glad that I was here for them. But, now, I want to see where life will take me. Best of luck to you Paul.

Old 03-07-2009, 01:03 PM

276 posts, read 678,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelPhotog View Post
Honestly, all the talk about the economy is what's hurting the economy. And government involvement sure as hell doesn't help any. I'm a writer and I know that in order to make an article sell, you have to have a topic that catches people's attention and even scare them. The media eats this economy thing up. It gives them something to talk about, but it scares people. They start cutting back on their spending, money doesn't flow into the market as it did before, problems occur. And giving cell phones to welfare recipients isn't going to help the economy. Markets fluctuate. The government needs to stay the hell out of it and let the market adjust itself. And trying to take money from the wealthy (by the way, its the wealthy who help create jobs in this country) and give it to those who have no desire to work will not fix the problem. Why should I work if the government is going to give me a check AND a cell phone? Now, take that thought and multiply it. You get a lot of welfare recipients and fewer workers paying into the system. Not good
This economic breakdown was caused because people did NOT believe there was a problem when they should have. In other words, it was caused by NOT talking about it as opposed to TALKING about it.

You have the problem BACKWARDS. Now if you wanted to say the problem was that folks are talking about it TOO LATE, I would agree with you. Frankly, pretty soon talking will be the only thing some folks have left to do.

Old 03-07-2009, 03:16 PM

106,680 posts, read 108,856,202 times
gave you some rep points... i like the way you put it

Old 03-08-2009, 09:24 AM

276 posts, read 678,600 times
Thanks Math, I appreciate it.

How are you holding up in this current environment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania