Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 04:51 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in2dadark View Post
Nice pics Paulie.. I'm suprised you haven't encountered more hostility on your tours. Take pics of peoples homes down here and you might see a muzzle flash..
I'm surprised too. There was also a police officer in Waverly who slowed down to stare at me as well as he circled the village green; I suppose when the only crimes you have to worry about are "fashion crimes" about whether Evian mixes well with Prada or not, then you'll look to create stuff to do to keep yourself occupied on your patrols. I still don't understand that guy in the Escalade though. Maybe he was just "checking me out" or something?

If I saw someone walking around Pittston and photographing our homes, I'd think "Wow! Maybe they're doing a story for Architectural Digest!" I wouldn't think "He's a terrorist! Must destroy!" LOL! It was just so odd though; Waverly was like stepping into a quaint Vermont village like Stowe, Clarks Summit was like stepping into a small town in Europe, and South Abington was like stepping into The Hamptons or "The OC." Nevertheless, all three types of communities seem to blend together rather well.

Quote:
If you smack into an unleashed dog it's the owners problem. You should have aimed for them and see how fast they get out of the way. Dogs are like women, if you chase them they'll run away and if you run away they'll chase you..
Ha! I've never thought of it that way before, but it does make sense! LOL! I was just appalled at how someone could let their mutts roam free on a public roadway like that! It took me nearly ten minutes to back completely down that road, as every time I tapped the gas the dogs dove for my tires, making me slam on the brakes not to hit them! I blared the horn over and over and over again hoping that someone in the development would shoo the mutts away from my tires, but I had no such luck (even though there were cars in driveways nearby, indicating that people were home). I tried my best to avoid a tense situation, but if I did bump one of them, then let that be a lesson that they're no match for a "Built Ford Tough" vehicle!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2007, 05:40 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,344,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
.... If I saw someone walking around Pittston and photographing our homes, I'd think "Wow! Maybe they're doing a story for Architectural Digest!" I wouldn't think "He's a terrorist! Must destroy!"
If you were in Charlotte, you'd be arrested - happened to a tourist a few years ago (who then turned out to be illegal - his visitor visa expired!)
You forgot to include the Waffle House (up from Rave, under the turnpike) with your eateries - I about died when I saw it! Bright and cheery A hostess!! Not like the Waffle Houses I know and love .....

Old 03-31-2007, 10:23 PM

2,317 posts, read 5,130,114 times
I love this! yeah clarks summit

Old 04-01-2007, 10:46 AM

2,209 posts, read 7,657,411 times
I just did a quick look at Pittston on realtor.com and am stunned that there are single family houses for sale there starting in the 30,000 range.

How can that be?

Great photo tour by the way We are actually considering a second home up yonder, haven't decided where yet amd the scenic shots as well as shots of these little towns are fantastic motivators to go and look around. Hence we'll be on an airplane in 4 weeks for a 1 week get away and exploratory trip.

Old 04-01-2007, 12:02 PM

142 posts, read 578,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTudo View Post
I just did a quick look at Pittston on realtor.com and am stunned that there are single family houses for sale there starting in the 30,000 range.

How can that be?

When you see (smell?..hear?) them in person, you'll know how it be..

Old 04-01-2007, 06:59 PM

142 posts, read 578,691 times
Ne way ..back to the pics.. How does one post pics like that. I don't know how and I'd like to post some Fla pics in that section..

Old 04-03-2007, 12:23 PM

16 posts, read 95,255 times
Default Awesome pics

Hey, do you ever think that you can get any pictures of Allentown??? , Please???

Old 04-03-2007, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Ne way ..back to the pics.. How does one post pics like that. I don't know how and I'd like to post some Fla pics in that section..
Howdy! You'll have to create a free account with some sort of internet image-hosting site, and you'll also need either a digital camera to upload photos to your PC or a scanner to scan regular photographs into your computer. I use a lower-end Kodak digital camera from Wal-Mart (don't think I'm an anti-Wal-Mart hypocrite who shops at Wal-Mart; it was a gift!), and I have yet to receive any complaints. I also use http://www.photobucket.com to host my images online. Once you upload your photos from your camera to PhotoBucket, you'll see your images, along with three links below each image. The third (bottom) link can be copied and pasted into the text field on City-Data, and, voila---your image should appear after you submit your reply. It sounds more complicated than it actually is.

Old 04-03-2007, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheRho View Post
Hey, do you ever think that you can get any pictures of Allentown??? , Please???
Definitely in the works for the upcoming months. I've been busy as heck lately (at the school yesterday from 7:30 AM-8:30 PM, at school this morning, then work from 11:30-8:15 PM, etc.), but I've received suggestions about photographing the Lehigh Valley area from you, Kettlepot, and a few others (I know Rosanne is also considering a move here and would probably appreciate some photo tours). As I said in another reply, I live about an hour and fifteen minutes north of the Lehigh Valley, so I'll need a day when I'm free from work, school, and meetings to be able to pull it off (as in the rare free day that I headed out to Milford!)

Old 04-04-2007, 11:06 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,098,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conorsdad View Post
Also, Abington schools (and the upscale private school Scranton Prep, whose students are predominantly from the Abingtons), despite their reputation, have a sizeable drug problem.
I like it better here in Scranton....the people are more down to earth and involved with their children.

The Abingtons and other similar bland suburbia.... blah.

Where do I start....Generalizations are the problem with those that do not know. First the students at Prep are not predominantly from the Abingtons. Prep has students from allover the area including Wilkes-Barre and as far out as the Hideout or Tunkannock(sp?) and from Forest City and Carbondale. Lets not forget the sizeable population of Prep students right here in Scranton. Second do not think that for one minute that the kids here at Scranton High are free from drug problems, they are affecting children from all walks of life. Children of families with money are no less likely to end up doing drugs as the kids in the public education system here is Scranton. People making comments about a lifestyle or a way of life they are not familiar with are the reason that all these generalizations are flying around. Not everyone in the Abingtons are wealthy and not everyone in Scranton is poor either so lets keep our class and money remarks to ourselves since we are not able to be truthful and accurate and some of us are insulted by your generalizations about money and drugs and The Abingtons and Prep. I forgot all the crackheads in South Scranton must be rich thats how the can afford the drugs right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania