Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 10:39 AM

32,624 posts, read 77,765,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Commish View Post
Whatever we do, it can't look like Manhattan, Seattle, Portland, etc or any other models of successful urban development. I would complain anonymously on online message boards to no end if any of that happened.
Brilliance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 11:24 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,375,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Commish View Post
I see Scranton with a low wage tax, low mercantile tax, zero spending priorities beyond keeping itself in a distressed city status (albeit one without nice storefronts, parks, redeveloped buildings for commercial and residential use, medical colleges, etc). Whatever we do, it can't look like Manhattan, Seattle, Portland, etc or any other models of successful urban development. I would complain anonymously on online message boards to no end if any of that happened. If we're feeling profligate, then once every 35 years or so we should throw a dollar at a park in the neighborhoods.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:05 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,855,490 times
Metroplex is stretching it a bit don't you think? The Dallas-Fort Worth area is called "the metroplex." We are nowhere near the size of Dallas-Fort Worth.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Metroplex is stretching it a bit don't you think? The Dallas-Fort Worth area is called "the metroplex." We are nowhere near the size of Dallas-Fort Worth.
I was hoping people would start to think of us as Scranton/Wilkes-Barre instead of Wilkes-Barre/Scranton if they thought of the Dallas/Ft. Worth Metroplex and remembered that the LARGER city comes first!

Old 05-21-2009, 12:17 PM

325 posts, read 807,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blip View Post
These threads get a little redundant, so I'll mostly just say that I'm down with all of ScranBarre's points above. Only things I'd add:

- To his point about the commercial corridors I'd add connecting the dots between these corridors and downtown. Most of them are close to downtown but have big barriers (bridges, bad sidewalks, empty lots, dead university blocks) blocking them off, which help disrupt commerce and break up the city fabric.

- More focus on historic preservation, whether it's commercial buildings downtown or residential buildings around town. Pursue state, federal, and private grants for buildings and/or districts. Also, preserve the streetscape via zoning-- ripping down street-facing buildings and replacing them with strip malls set 100 ft back just encourages the emptying out of a neighborhood. This town has some good architecture and could be steered towards a bit more charm with just a little effort.

- If remotely possible, wrest control of courthouse square from the county so that the city can rebuild it as more of an urban public square and not an inhospitable collection of ugly monuments. Use it for events, e.g. the christmas lights display, farmers markets, music on first fridays in summer, etc.

All good points. Re the last one, my mom lives in downtown Scranton and she is sick about the changes made at courthouse square. She used to love to sit under the shade trees there. Obviously, this is no longer an option. And I would add, the movement now is toward creating more green space in urban areas, not ripping up existing green space--this is yet another instance of Scranton appearing to be stuck in a time warp.

Last edited by mbs7; 05-21-2009 at 12:19 PM.. Reason: Added final sentence

Old 05-21-2009, 12:32 PM

I have yet to speak with ONE person who likes the "revamped" Courthouse Square. I keep hearing people ask "when will it be finished?" It's HIDEOUS! Urban green space is to be treasured, not destroyed! What lack of vision and a waste of tax dollars!

Old 05-21-2009, 12:32 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,568,361 times
You should see how they cut the few trees we have, down here. Appalling...the palms they prefer look like Q-Tips and in our hot climate the government figures who needs shade?

Old 05-21-2009, 12:40 PM

904 posts, read 2,059,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I was hoping people would start to think of us as Scranton/Wilkes-Barre instead of Wilkes-Barre/Scranton if they thought of the Dallas/Ft. Worth Metroplex and remembered that the LARGER city comes first!
S/WB makes more sense, but it's still such a cumbersome and ugly name. Scranton is an ugly name in itself, and Wilkes-Barre is even worse-- put them together and.. barf.

We should either call it greater Scranton or the Wyoming Valley.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:50 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,375,748 times
I don't think either name is particularly ugly. Better than City of Industry, Sturgis, Chevy Chase, Blue Ball, Intercourse, Walla Walla, Albuquerque, Spasticville, Satan's Kingdom, Festus, Beaverlick and Flushing.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:55 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,855,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I don't think either name is particularly ugly. Better than City of Industry, Sturgis, Chevy Chase, Blue Ball, Intercourse, Walla Walla, Albuquerque, Spasticville, Satan's Kingdom, Festus, Beaverlick and Flushing.

or Cut and Shoot, TX.....Hell, MI....or even Shickshinny or Mehoopany for that matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania