Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 01:15 AM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times

Advertisements

Donna I think that thee is a positive flip side to the "bad economy that could work in your daughter's favor.
Many parents and guidance councilors alike are directing students to C.S.s the least expensive option.This could cause a glut in very popular and lucrative programs. I could see this happening in Nursing for example.
People are avoiding what they see as expensive colleges - not realizing that they are sometimes better endowed. The Commish gave a very good example og the very generous scholarship he and Paul both received.
I have nothing against community colleges and they do a great job of educating about half of the people who enter as freshmen. Their retention rate is not that high and the campuses can be a big extension of High School, with kids hanging out with people they went to high school with and never leaving their comfort zone. Learning to meet and deal with a variety of people is to me a great part of the college experience and later on, enhances the student's appeal to employees.
You just don't know what you might get before you try!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 01:22 AM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Yes and no. It was once a matter of geography, but now many people myself included are saying that one test is better for one type of student and the other for an entirely different type of student.
In the North East the SAT was once the "gold standard" of college admissions tests. increasingly the ACT has gained respect.
But many factors play into how your student will do on these standardized tests. Gender for example plays a role.

Old 06-24-2009, 04:51 AM

1,815 posts, read 5,400,821 times
When I graduated HS, I only took the ACT's as that was all my single mother of 2 could afford for me to take. I went to a decent college, graduated with a 3.9GPA in Business, so it can be done. If you're looking for a really high end (Ivy league) school, they will probably want to SAT's. However, I often think those schools are over-rated and a very good education can be had at most colleges. It's what the student makes of the experience. Best bet is to check the entrance requirements of the schools she's interested in. Many take ACT or SAT scores. Good luck!

Old 06-24-2009, 07:12 AM

703 posts, read 1,546,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lialleycat View Post
However, I often think those schools are over-rated and a very good education can be had at most colleges. It's what the student makes of the experience.
This is largely true, but I think it's important not to ignore the leg-up you can get with an education at a highly selective school. Particularly in this economy, any advantage students can get is important for getting a job. I may not necessarily agree that things should be that way (especially since the most highly selective colleges disproportionately reward richer students). But it's important not to ignore that that's how things are.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:11 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,098,909 times
How much is your daughters education worth? If the prep classes help her to achieve a better score on the SAT's and that score helps her get into a better school, allowing her to gain a better education and job placement rate then it seems like a minimal investment of only a $1,000....I know that it is not a small amount, but in the overall pic it is most certainly worth it.

Why settle for less if you have the chance of obtaining more? Just have her take the SAT's...Maybe she might not need them but if she wants to apply to a school or move into an area of study that requires them, then she is covered.

I see people justifying not taking them, but have yet to see anyone but the commish and myself try to justify taking them. Why put limits on someone's future before they even get chance to go after it?

Old 06-24-2009, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Commish View Post
This is largely true, but I think it's important not to ignore the leg-up you can get with an education at a highly selective school. Particularly in this economy, any advantage students can get is important for getting a job. I may not necessarily agree that things should be that way (especially since the most highly selective colleges disproportionately reward richer students). But it's important not to ignore that that's how things are.
Today a 4 year degree is 'average'. You need a masters to really get an advantage.

Overall, I don't see bias in terms of where an applicant received their bachelors from - but perhaps in some industries there are. I can say that I have never felt I did not get a job because of where I went to school. Where I live, yes, my gender, yes, my age, yes - but not my school. I do see a bias for someone who has an associates degree vs a bachelors, but I can see that - 2yrs vs 4yrs.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:56 PM

126 posts, read 327,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
How much is your daughters education worth? If the prep classes help her to achieve a better score on the SAT's and that score helps her get into a better school, allowing her to gain a better education and job placement rate then it seems like a minimal investment of only a $1,000....I know that it is not a small amount, but in the overall pic it is most certainly worth it.

Why settle for less if you have the chance of obtaining more? Just have her take the SAT's...Maybe she might not need them but if she wants to apply to a school or move into an area of study that requires them, then she is covered.

I see people justifying not taking them, but have yet to see anyone but the commish and myself try to justify taking them. Why put limits on someone's future before they even get chance to go after it?
While I can totally see this as a valid "point" $1,000 is completely OUT of the question for us for a variety of reason. We live a debt free life--meaning we live within our means, carry such a small credit card debt (well under $1,000) and have been blessed to not have a mortgage, car payment OR any other debts to pay back. We also have very little savings as a result! BUT, we will not use our credit card for something of this nature. it is not an emergency and we will just find a different way to get her the training she needs. Thanks for your input though!

Old 06-25-2009, 01:54 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,098,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnahonesdale View Post
While I can totally see this as a valid "point" $1,000 is completely OUT of the question for us for a variety of reason. We live a debt free life--meaning we live within our means, carry such a small credit card debt (well under $1,000) and have been blessed to not have a mortgage, car payment OR any other debts to pay back. We also have very little savings as a result! BUT, we will not use our credit card for something of this nature. it is not an emergency and we will just find a different way to get her the training she needs. Thanks for your input though!
Ok so you can actually afford to take on a small amount of debt on in order to ensure that your daughter gets the best or better training so that she can achieve a solid score on her SAT's. A better score that could possibly help with finacial aid and assistance for her education thus allowing her to go to a better school with hopes of having a solid job placement and great start on her future. You just don't want to?

Again I ask.....How much is daughters education/future worth?

To me its easy...My sons education/future is priceless....Whatever it takes.

Old 06-25-2009, 04:31 PM

I really don't think the expense is necessary if the schools of her choice will accept the ACT test. Back when I was choosing a college, most took either test. I only took the ACT due to the costs of the SAT - I received a 4 year full tuition scholarship to one of the colleges I was very interested in - so unless things have changed drastically, the ACT vs the SAT won't be a big deal in the future in MOST cases. Spend the grand on something else more meaningful - like college expenses (those books and lab fees aren't cheap!).

Old 06-27-2009, 12:16 PM

126 posts, read 327,179 times
I agree with ;ia;;eycat on this one! I have 3 other children that need to go on to college and while I hope they will be better prepared than my daughter by this point in their college prep, I would NOT want to keep adding to debt for the four kids. Some think it is worht it, but I don;t. Not at this point anyway. A debt load to complete your senior year is WAy different than taking on debt at this early stage of the game. Thanks again for the input here. It really has been MOST helpful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania