Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 03:52 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,292,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
It would make the area more accessible to those types of people. The point is, a train is not going to impact the economy of NEPA that greatly. People here don't commute there and people living in the NY area certainly wouldn't commute up here for work because there is none. Then why the need for it? A few people here and there taking shopping trips into the city isn't enough to justify it's existence.
There are a ton of people who live here in work in NYC. It's more than just a few shopping trips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 03:56 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
Mod cut - sorry but let's not discuss the off topic posts here

I maintain I'm "on the fence" right now on this issue. On one side if people are going to be commuting from NEPA to NJ/NYC daily anyways for work (which thousands of them are already doing with more on the way for certain) then why not give them mass transit to ease congestion on our roadways? On the other hand though I also do NOT want to see NEPA, which is now noted for its verdant mountains and open space, turn into an overcrowded Long Island where sprawl spells the end of wildlife and where the rising cost-of-living drives native blue-collars into poverty.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 07-24-2009 at 08:41 PM..

Old 07-24-2009, 03:56 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,656,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
There are a ton of people who live here in work in NYC. It's more than just a few shopping trips.
The original poster of this thread said that only 6 percent of people here commute to NY. How is that a ton?

Last edited by toobusytoday; 07-24-2009 at 08:41 PM..

Old 07-24-2009, 03:59 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
EVERYONE!!! (Breathe in, breathe out, breathe in, breathe out!) I do NOT want to see toobusytoday lock this thread because this topic is one that is CRITICAL for our area right now whether you're for or against the Scranton===>NYC rail connection. Let's just let bygones be bygones, shall we?

Old 07-24-2009, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
The original poster of this thread said that only 6 percent of people here commute to NY. How is that a ton?

That is still 100,000 people that commute to NYC for work. That bring in money to our area. That pay taxes in our area.

Old 07-24-2009, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Mod cut of off topic and deleted post
I maintain I'm "on the fence" right now on this issue. On one side if people are going to be commuting from NEPA to NJ/NYC daily anyways for work (which thousands of them are already doing with more on the way for certain) then why not give them mass transit to ease congestion on our roadways? On the other hand though I also do NOT want to see NEPA, which is now noted for its verdant mountains and open space, turn into an overcrowded Long Island where sprawl spells the end of wildlife and where the rising cost-of-living drives native blue-collars into poverty.
Well, she does stick to her guns. It's just the way she comes across sometimes. As for the train issue, I'm from Long Island and used the LIRR many times when I lived there. LI is a major suburb of NY and a LOT of people have jobs in the city and the train there is almost essential so that everyone isn't riding on the Long Island Expressway all at once. It's not the same here in NEPA.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 07-24-2009 at 08:43 PM..

Old 07-24-2009, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEDIAMOND64 View Post
Go back and read your post, or maybe someone got into your body and wrote the post, and it wasn't you. You said my judgement had a fatal flaw. If you are attacking my judgement, you are attacking me.
It seems to me attacking one's judgment is attacking one personally.

Old 07-24-2009, 04:17 PM

936 posts, read 2,397,025 times
I have to agree with Bluediamond on this. I dont want to get off topic but sometimes Magritte you basically tell people that they are wrong and you are right. You need to stop treating people like they are stupid and cant have an opinion. Remember an opinion is not based on fact its how a person feels about an issue. So maybe you should look at what you write and think what the other person will feel reading your posts.

That said I dont see what the problem would be if there was a train from NYC to Scranton. I only see it as adding to Scranton. Some on this forum complain that Scranton is a dying city, well if we had a commuter train then maybe more people would move to the area and build up business. Now lets not think that the area will become infested with drug dealers and murderers PLEASE!!!!!

Old 07-24-2009, 04:17 PM

You are right I did write that. I apologize. I honestly thought that I wrote "argument". I am sorry.

Old 07-24-2009, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxy38 View Post
I have to agree with Bluediamond on this. I dont want to get off topic but sometimes Magritte you basically tell people that they are wrong and you are right. You need to stop treating people like they are stupid and cant have an opinion. Remember an opinion is not based on fact its how a person feels about an issue. So maybe you should look at what you write and think what the other person will feel reading your posts.

That said I dont see what the problem would be if there was a train from NYC to Scranton. I only see it as adding to Scranton. Some on this forum complain that Scranton is a dying city, well if we had a commuter train then maybe more people would move to the area and build up business. Now lets not think that the area will become infested with drug dealers and murderers PLEASE!!!!!

And you all tell me that I'm wrong! I don't take it personally and I do not take it as a personal attack. I take it for what it's worth - that you disagree with me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania