Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 06:54 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,851,140 times

Advertisements

The Rail Service to the Gap area will open by 2014-17 , about the same time the restoration to Philpsburg,NJ with open up. Any further into PA form any of the planned extensions is in limbo. Form what my Friend estimates tapping into PA commuters will add around 60-90,000 New Riders form the 3 lines. Which is alot , Eastern PA is considered a gold mine for Commuters. While it take about the same time as the bus , it will be more comfortable a spacious. Overtime each line will slowly increase its speeds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 07:42 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
The Rail Service to the Gap area will open by 2014-17 , about the same time the restoration to Philpsburg,NJ with open up. Any further into PA form any of the planned extensions is in limbo. Form what my Friend estimates tapping into PA commuters will add around 60-90,000 New Riders form the 3 lines. Which is alot , Eastern PA is considered a gold mine for Commuters. While it take about the same time as the bus , it will be more comfortable a spacious. Overtime each line will slowly increase its speeds.
Nexis4Jersey,

I still think that either the renovation or demolition of the historic Peterskill railroad bridge is key to any improvements in the commute. The Peterskill is the bridge that Route 80 passes under four miles into NJ. It was built in 1929 I was told. It is now in a state of disrepair. It is also a whopper of a bridge - as far as how many tons of concrete are in it’s structure. It restricts expansion of Route 80 - the shoulders (under this bridge) are too narrow for lane expansion.

Then you have the other issue of floods and existing tracks that are under water. One year alone I think they were under water three times.
I would be interested in seeing any plans for rail service. I just think that there are too many obstacles and we will never see service to the Pocono’s.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Nexis4Jersey,

I still think that either the renovation or demolition of the historic Peterskill railroad bridge is key to any improvements in the commute. The Peterskill is the bridge that Route 80 passes under four miles into NJ. It was built in 1929 I was told. It is now in a state of disrepair. It is also a whopper of a bridge - as far as how many tons of concrete are in it’s structure. It restricts expansion of Route 80 - the shoulders (under this bridge) are too narrow for lane expansion.

Then you have the other issue of floods and existing tracks that are under water. One year alone I think they were under water three times.
I would be interested in seeing any plans for rail service. I just think that there are too many obstacles and we will never see service to the Pocono’s.
Well even if you did get rid of the bridge which you can't. You can't expand the Highway in the Gap area. So your left with Rail and the tracks will placed in an Area where they only be affected by 100 year floods. Not sure exactly where that is , the PA side is active and used by freight leased form someone i forget who. Seeing that Christie supports this line it would be killed. The Bridge itself is in decent condition form what i'm told , the whole route is. Many of the bridges built back then were built to last and are very hard to demolish. We already have 4-5 lanes on I-80 still doesn't work Rail is the last option. Same with the 78 corridor. So by the end of the decade you and the Lehigh valley and Bucks county will have Rail service back. Also Amtrak put it in there 2030 Service Expansion plans for High Speed Intercity Corridor , Electrified line would run form Binghamton to Hoboken via Scranton.

Old 08-20-2010, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Well even if you did get rid of the bridge which you can't. You can't expand the Highway in the Gap area. So your left with Rail and the tracks will placed in an Area where they only be affected by 100 year floods. Not sure exactly where that is , the PA side is active and used by freight leased form someone i forget who. Seeing that Christie supports this line it would be killed. The Bridge itself is in decent condition form what i'm told , the whole route is. Many of the bridges built back then were built to last and are very hard to demolish. We already have 4-5 lanes on I-80 still doesn't work Rail is the last option. Same with the 78 corridor. So by the end of the decade you and the Lehigh valley and Bucks county will have Rail service back. Also Amtrak put it in there 2030 Service Expansion plans for High Speed Intercity Corridor , Electrified line would run form Binghamton to Hoboken via Scranton.
Nexis4Jersey,

I’ll believe it when I see it. We have had many promises. Politicians get elected on promises - then they forget. We also love bureaucracy - get a commission, do some studies and show some vague plans. Perhaps you did not catch the story, just the other day, that we are postponing some key bridge replacement and repair - we don’t have the money.

To me, if we do not have the money; we should not even have the department or agency. If PennDOT or whoever can’t do the work with the allotted funds - we should find somebody that can.

Instead of our news talking about the latest scandal or fluff; they should be discussing important issues like rail service and our bridges.

Old 08-20-2010, 08:03 AM

539 posts, read 1,068,787 times
Nexis, please add a post when you see news about the rail line(s), I'm very interested in this, and occasionally scour the web for any new news. The only thing I saw lately was that the extension of the line to Andover was moving ahead, but we wouldn't expect to see any major activity on it until sometime this fall. I know there is little or no money for it since the Feds rejected the project early in the year. What's wrong with the ex-Lackawanna bridge over the water gap to Stroudsburg? I believe the tracks are still in place over it, but it needs some sort of upgrade. The rest of the line to Scranton is in place, but not in the best shape, as it has very low speed limits (10-20 mph?) for freight. As for the other lines, as you mentioned, Phillipsburg may be a "go" at some point, but NS probably would never allow passenger trains beyond that to Allentown. The old Reading line (north of Lansdale or Quakertown) had the tracks removed and is a rails-to-trail now, so that makes a hard go for getting service to Philly ever going again.

Old 08-21-2010, 01:04 PM

Nexis4Jersey and frank754,
I just wanted to ask you (if you ever get a chance) to take a Sunday ride down Route 611 to the Portland area. Before you get to Portland make a left on Slateford Road. If you miss the first turn you can catch this road again - it just makes a big horseshoe. That road will take you under the Peterskill Bridge. You can park and take pictures. You will see that it is in terrible shape - it need a lot of work. Whether or not high speed rail would use that bridge or go under the bridge; it still needs work. It is an enormous project. We do not build them like that today.
Nexis, on your 100 year flood; I think we had three of them in the one year alone. Even the new Route 80 rest area was under water at least twice. I think our state even lost several vehicles. When you have three 100 year floods in such a short time; they are not 100 year floods anymore.

Old 08-21-2010, 01:55 PM

177 posts, read 466,945 times
You are right fisheye, that bridge is a mess. I just road under it about a month ago.

The 3, 100 year floods were:
Sept 2004 - 7 feet of water at Main & Broad in Del. Water Gap
April 2005 - 11 feet of water at Main & Broad....
June 2006 - 12 feet of water at Main & Broad...
3, 100 year storms within 21 months.

I am one of the Water Gap Trolley drivers during the summer. It's part of our "speech".

Old 08-21-2010, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank754 View Post
Nexis, please add a post when you see news about the rail line(s), I'm very interested in this, and occasionally scour the web for any new news. The only thing I saw lately was that the extension of the line to Andover was moving ahead, but we wouldn't expect to see any major activity on it until sometime this fall. I know there is little or no money for it since the Feds rejected the project early in the year. What's wrong with the ex-Lackawanna bridge over the water gap to Stroudsburg? I believe the tracks are still in place over it, but it needs some sort of upgrade. The rest of the line to Scranton is in place, but not in the best shape, as it has very low speed limits (10-20 mph?) for freight. As for the other lines, as you mentioned, Phillipsburg may be a "go" at some point, but NS probably would never allow passenger trains beyond that to Allentown. The old Reading line (north of Lansdale or Quakertown) had the tracks removed and is a rails-to-trail now, so that makes a hard go for getting service to Philly ever going again.
Tracks are still in place between Lansdale and Quakertown , they plan on restoring that first. Then they'll worry about the rest. But the Newtown Restoration is next on Septa's agenda. Nothing is wrong with the bridge , there are worse Bridges in service then that bridge , just look at the NEC. NS will allow NJT and the New Agency to use there tracks. But the Bridge will get overhauled as part of the project along with the Tunnel. The First leg to Andover is the hardest after that it should be easier.

Quote:
Nexis4Jersey and frank754,
I just wanted to ask you (if you ever get a chance) to take a Sunday ride down Route 611 to the Portland area. Before you get to Portland make a left on Slateford Road. If you miss the first turn you can catch this road again - it just makes a big horseshoe. That road will take you under the Peterskill Bridge. You can park and take pictures. You will see that it is in terrible shape - it need a lot of work. Whether or not high speed rail would use that bridge or go under the bridge; it still needs work. It is an enormous project. We do not build them like that today.
Nexis, on your 100 year flood; I think we had three of them in the one year alone. Even the new Route 80 rest area was under water at least twice. I think our state even lost several vehicles. When you have three 100 year floods in such a short time; they are not 100 year floods anymore.
These bridges were mean't to last , yes like i said above they will be overhauled. Its a shame we don't build them like we used to. They used Reinforced Concrete to build this bridge and others. As for the Flooding idk , NJT is used to dealing with it. My line floods once every 5 years. They might have to elevate it and build some kind of flood prevention system. Your not getting High Speed Rail , your getting Regional / Intercity Rail , the line on the PA side is way to curvy. The Jersey side is way to congested. Yes its a big project NJT has done bigger in recent years and is currently doing something 3x bigger then this. This is considered a medium sized and easy project to do thats why there doing it. Also the DOT doesn't want to expand the road anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamMan View Post
You are right fisheye, that bridge is a mess. I just road under it about a month ago.

The 3, 100 year floods were:
Sept 2004 - 7 feet of water at Main & Broad in Del. Water Gap
April 2005 - 11 feet of water at Main & Broad....
June 2006 - 12 feet of water at Main & Broad...
3, 100 year storms within 21 months.

I am one of the Water Gap Trolley drivers during the summer. It's part of our "speech".
Well thats disturbing ,did you alt the rivers path in any shape?

Old 08-21-2010, 04:09 PM

Nexis4Jersey,
Many have debated why we have so many floods on the Delaware recently. There have been plenty of accusations against the NYC reservoirs. Plenty think that the reservoirs keep their levels too high - then there is no room when flooding rain hits. However, this year; they proved themselves right to keep the levels high. Many others just blame the flooding on more development. Then there are plenty that just point to changing weather patterns.
As far as your enthusiasm over renovating our bridges and old track; I cannot see that happening. Before we started to panic in PA over the state of our bridges; I was fighting against bridges that were in dire shape. As a truck driver; I noticed how bad our bridges were becoming. I fought a battle with the local press, representatives and PennDOT to remedy some of our problems. Nothing gets done unless you pull some teeth or embarrass the right people at the right time.
That Peterskill Bridge has had 80 years of varying degrees of acid rain licking at the lime in the concrete. That is not the only rail bridge in need. The figures that they throw out could not come close to full renovation of the needed tracks.
I still think that it has to be a total project. Renovation of the rail lines and interstate at the same time. That has to have rail companies, NJ, PA the Bridge Commission and Feds on the same wave link.
PS Thanks JamMan.

Old 08-21-2010, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Nexis4Jersey,
Many have debated why we have so many floods on the Delaware recently. There have been plenty of accusations against the NYC reservoirs. Plenty think that the reservoirs keep their levels too high - then there is no room when flooding rain hits. However, this year; they proved themselves right to keep the levels high. Many others just blame the flooding on more development. Then there are plenty that just point to changing weather patterns.
As far as your enthusiasm over renovating our bridges and old track; I cannot see that happening. Before we started to panic in PA over the state of our bridges; I was fighting against bridges that were in dire shape. As a truck driver; I noticed how bad our bridges were becoming. I fought a battle with the local press, representatives and PennDOT to remedy some of our problems. Nothing gets done unless you pull some teeth or embarrass the right people at the right time.
That Peterskill Bridge has had 80 years of varying degrees of acid rain licking at the lime in the concrete. That is not the only rail bridge in need. The figures that they throw out could not come close to full renovation of the needed tracks.
I still think that it has to be a total project. Renovation of the rail lines and interstate at the same time. That has to have rail companies, NJ, PA the Bridge Commission and Feds on the same wave link.
PS Thanks JamMan.
Well like i said the Bridge will be renovated when the Rail line is restored. Trust me NJT has dealt with Flooding issues before it happens everytime it rains on some lines. NJT and DOT seem to be paying for the NJ side of the project and bridge. 80 years is still young there are older bridges that are still in service. The First leg of the project is a NJT / DOT project , second leg is a Penn DOT and New Agency project. Maybe its time like my Euro Friend said to Toll our Highways , thats probably the only way things will get $$$ to be fixed. I'm only saying Interstates , not small highways. As for the developments , i think PA should focus on cleaning up there urban centers and improving schools. That way you wouldn't have what i call Jersey Growth happening now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania