Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 07:00 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rascalbonsai View Post
: Now it just has to stay on the market until I get there!!!
My aunt and uncle live right around the corner more or less from this home. I'll see if I can have them "scare off" any other potential buyers before you arrive! LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2007, 07:35 PM

29 posts, read 112,471 times
Any idea what flood insurance rates run in the area? I've never lived in a flood prone area before-it seems to be the only real deterent to the area.

Old 02-05-2007, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Any idea what flood insurance rates run in the area? I've never lived in a flood prone area before-it seems to be the only real deterent to the area.

I'm not sure what the rates are, but I can inquire.

Old 02-05-2007, 11:50 PM

1 posts, read 2,697 times
Question Wind Gap PA

We are relocating to Wind Gap. Do you know any builder's or have any land available? Any other info? thanks.

Old 02-06-2007, 05:17 PM

29 posts, read 112,471 times
Default flooding issues/ Butler mine

Well, I've been doing some more research on the flooding situation, and have come accross the issue of the Butler mine tunnel and its toxic waste dumping during floods. This was in an overview article about the cities in the river basin area and the problems they need to overcome for regrowth. I couldn't find a date on it, but it was at least after the 1996 flood. Does anyone know if this is still aproblem in the area?

Old 02-06-2007, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Well, I've been doing some more research on the flooding situation, and have come accross the issue of the Butler mine tunnel and its toxic waste dumping during floods. This was in an overview article about the cities in the river basin area and the problems they need to overcome for regrowth. I couldn't find a date on it, but it was at least after the 1996 flood. Does anyone know if this is still aproblem in the area?
A new system has been implemented at the mouth of the Butler Mine Shaft to catch the harmful toxins before they are able to enter the Susquehanna River. I haven't really taken a good look at the river lately, but I can still recall peering over the side of the Fort Jenkins Bridge and seeing what looked to be several large buoys that were part of the waste control system. The river is heavily-polluted from our terrible mining days, but year by year we're noticing a resurgence in plant activity and wildlife in and around the river, which is a step in the right direction. A new inflatable dam is being considered in Wilkes-Barre to create an artificial recreational lake in the river to complement the Diamond City's new "RiverWalk" project. Personally, I think the river needs to be cleansed of its toxins before most lucid people would consider swimming around in it, so perhaps this new dam project, being spearheaded by Representative Paul Kanjorski, will hasten the process of restoring the river?

Old 06-26-2007, 03:29 PM

641 posts, read 2,370,037 times
IF you are such an expert, why in gods name would anyone want to move here?

Old 09-29-2007, 10:22 PM

1 posts, read 2,514 times
Default question about Vince's pizza in Avoca and the superwalmart in pittston

My husband and I stopped at Vince's Pizza today in Avoca and it was closed, and appeared to be out of business. I looked inside and the signs were down and the hours of business was taken off the door. Does anyone know why they are closing. Also does anyone know if the super walmart in Pittston is going to be built? They were supposed to start building it last year, but so far there has been no construction.

Old 09-30-2007, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryjo617 View Post
My husband and I stopped at Vince's Pizza today in Avoca and it was closed, and appeared to be out of business. I looked inside and the signs were down and the hours of business was taken off the door. Does anyone know why they are closing. Also does anyone know if the super walmart in Pittston is going to be built? They were supposed to start building it last year, but so far there has been no construction.
I don't know about Vince's Pizza, but I do run by it on my daily running regimine. When I head out later I'll be sure to slow down and take a closer look at the place when I'm rounding the corner.

I happen to live in Butler Heights, the subdivision directly adjacent to the site of the new Wal-Mart Supercenter project, and we have also been kept in the dark about its progress (or lackthereof). The last rumors we heard were that Mericle, which is currently developing Center Point, and Mr. Zamias, who is currently developing the Pittston Crossings Mall, were fighting with PennDOT over right-of-way issues regarding ingress/egress at the light at the Pilot Travel Center. Apparently Mericle wants to use this proposed four-lane roadway to access its commercial flex buildings in this upcoming phase of Center Point, but PennDOT is supposedly giving them a hard time about it. During meetings with the Butler Heights Homeowners' Association, Mr. Zamias promised us that he'd have our best interests in mind, and that the completion of his project would cause our property values to increase. Then again, he also promised us landscaping and a decorative sound barrier to shield our subdivision from the traffic congestion on this proposed four-lane artery, which will eventually let out onto Oak Street near the upcoming Junior Achievement Academy (I can already envision the people using this roadway as a shortcut to avoid that nasty congested intersection of The 315 @ Oak/Armstrong).

It is my personal opinion that this project will do nothing but harm the quality-of-life for those of us in adjoining Butler Heights. We don't ever see a Pittston Township police officer patrolling our streets the way it is, and I suspect the reason why our homes have yet to fall victim to burglars is because none of them know we exist (hell, I've spoken to people in Dupont on my runs who have never even heard of Butler Heights, and they live only blocks away). Once all of the trees, buildings, etc. obscuring our development from Highway 315 are torn down, I'm nervous that we will be seen as easy targets for criminals, who know just how under-staffed the Pittston Township Police Department truly is (even though we're one of the wealthiest townships around). I can also attest to the poor air quality of this area, and I can only assume conditions will continue to worsen. There have been times when the diesel exhaust fumes have been so bad that I've felt ill on my runs; how much worse will that be once four more lanes of traffic are added right by our homes?

Also, Wal-Mart Supercenters tend to attract white-trash and lower-class people who are ill-intentioned. It seems like there's an incident in the police blotter of the Times-Leader every other day at the Wal-Mart Supercenter in Wilkes-Barre Township for drug deals in the parking lot, domestic disputes, shoplifters, children left unattended, etc. Our local police force is ill-equipped to deal with these types of people who frequent Wal-Mart Supercenters, and our township supervisors know it (yet money talks in this community).

As for me, I'll be leaving this hell hole of a township in a couple of years to move into Scranton. That city truly seems to have a firm grasp on providing for the needs of its citizens (unlike Pittston Township where we don't even have SIDEWALKS anywhere for crying out loud!) Scranton seems to be very hip and up-and-coming, and the prospect of being able to walk to churches, banks, parks, restaurants, bars, clubs, shops, etc. is attractive to me. Why anyone would consciously want to move to a congested community like Pittston Township is beyond my realm of comprehension, even though our population continues to grow and our traffic congestion continues to worsen.

Old 09-30-2007, 02:35 PM

996 posts, read 3,277,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
Also, Wal-Mart Supercenters tend to attract white-trash and lower-class people who are ill-intentioned. It seems like there's an incident in the police blotter of the Times-Leader every other day at the Wal-Mart Supercenter in Wilkes-Barre Township for drug deals in the parking lot, domestic disputes, shoplifters, children left unattended, etc. Our local police force is ill-equipped to deal with these types of people who frequent Wal-Mart Supercenters, and our township supervisors know it (yet money talks in this community).
Well, thanks, SWB, for pointing out that myself and pretty much everyone I know is "white trash and low class". I find your view of this area and the "types of people" in it revolting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania