Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 04:49 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,624,454 times

Advertisements

the Catalano Market as being two shining new beacons of Scranton's surging Hispanic population.

Hispanic????? lmfao !!!!! you have to be a tourist!!! Old man Catalano would kiss you on both cheeks and put a horses head in your bed for saying that !!!! thats funny stuff !!!! Catalanos is as Italian as it gets !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 09:48 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnqpublic View Post
the Catalano Market as being two shining new beacons of Scranton's surging Hispanic population.

Hispanic????? lmfao !!!!! you have to be a tourist!!! Old man Catalano would kiss you on both cheeks and put a horses head in your bed for saying that !!!! thats funny stuff !!!! Catalanos is as Italian as it gets !!
Yes, I now know quite well that Catalano's is nothing but Italian. My mind was wandering that day, and I thought Catalano was a Hispanic name! LOL! My bad!

Old 10-24-2008, 06:44 PM

1 posts, read 3,801 times
I thoroughly enjoyed your view and comments of the Scranton area. I am a parent of a University of Scranton freshman (female), and just thought that it was wonderful to join you in this trip down your memory a lane and create a new memory lane for myself through your eyes and cameral lens. Thank you and God Bless You.....

Old 10-24-2008, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keann465 View Post
I thoroughly enjoyed your view and comments of the Scranton area. I am a parent of a University of Scranton freshman (female), and just thought that it was wonderful to join you in this trip down your memory a lane and create a new memory lane for myself through your eyes and cameral lens. Thank you and God Bless You.....
God bless you too! It's a shame that in recent weeks crime has been on the rise in this very same neighborhood that I have photographed. Nevertheless once I'm ready to put my career aspirations aside and settle down from the "rat race" of the BosWash Corridor, where I'm likely headed in a few months, Hyde Park will be my neighborhood of choice. I like West Side. Green Ridge has the prettiest architecture, in my opinion, but it's also got too much of an "old money" flair to it---BMWs and Mercedes-Benzes everywhere.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:45 PM

1 posts, read 3,752 times
Hi, I wandered over to this board because I'm looking for info about the Heermans family cemetery plot on N Main Ave. near Parker St. I came across it while I was canvassing door to door (for Obama) in October in the area. I'm not from Scranton, but I really enjoyed the neighborhood, and had great conversations with people there. There's a Heermans Street near the RR tracks and I did find some historical info about the district online--the coal industry, the Welsh immigration in the 18th and early 19th c., etc. Does anyone know more about the gravestones? It looks like there were originally some huge old trees there, but only stumps remain. And I imagine one of the woodframe houses in the area may be the original Heermans home. Just curious--it's unusual to see a family plot preserved within a city like that.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:40 PM

2 posts, read 4,606 times
Post Heermans Family Burying Ground

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malsperanza View Post
Hi, I wandered over to this board because I'm looking for info about the Heermans family cemetery plot on N Main Ave. near Parker St. I came across it while I was canvassing door to door (for Obama) in October in the area. I'm not from Scranton, but I really enjoyed the neighborhood, and had great conversations with people there. There's a Heermans Street near the RR tracks and I did find some historical info about the district online--the coal industry, the Welsh immigration in the 18th and early 19th c., etc. Does anyone know more about the gravestones? It looks like there were originally some huge old trees there, but only stumps remain. And I imagine one of the woodframe houses in the area may be the original Heermans home. Just curious--it's unusual to see a family plot preserved within a city like that.

The Heermans Family Burying Ground that you visited is that of Henry Heermans and his family. His house in almost directly across the street. It is the oldest house in North Scranton, PA (Providence area), although it has been updated with vinyl siding, it is almost as it was when Henry lived there.

Henry and his brother Philip were well known in the early days before the city of Scranton was formed.

Henry owned 300 acres around where his home is. He maintains the cemetery with a fund he establised with a local bank before his passing. Now the Honesdale National Bank maintains the care of the cemetery with thes funds.

If you'd like more information on the Heermans family please contact me at rbhermans@yahoo.com

The Heermans Family are distant relatives of mine originating from the Netherlands in 1660.

Old 11-04-2010, 01:18 PM

2 posts, read 5,121 times
Default photos?

How do I go about seeing the photos?

Many thanks,

BB

Old 11-04-2010, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterscotch Baggins View Post
How do I go about seeing the photos?

Many thanks,

BB
Sadly my thousands of photos from all over the region may be gone for good. I was relying upon PhotoBucket, an image-hosting site, to store the images for me, but when I fell onto some hard times financially, allowing my paid membership to lapse, I quickly exceeded my bandwith and storage capacities, and the images failed. I think I deleted them from my parents' PC before relocating to Virginia to free up space on their hard drive, so they may all be forever lost. Sorry!

Old 11-07-2010, 04:25 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
I wa sable to see some of them towards the end. I thoughy yjere was something wrong with my computer!
Guess this means that you are going to have to trat us all to a holiday photo tour when the snow blankets the ground and the lovely old homes decked out in thir holiday spledor!

Old 11-19-2010, 04:33 AM

2 posts, read 5,121 times
Default Thanks for the trip.

You brought back some wonderful memories with your excellent photos.

Many thanks,

Butterscotch Baggins
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania