Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 05:11 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,553,113 times

Advertisements

As one who has lived in a group house situation in NoVa: if you have to save $, I would only have one roommate. Because you can assume that your roommate will have a "friend" or two who stays from time to time, so essentially, you will be living w/ three or more people...unless you set up a "no guest" policy that they themselves are willing to abide by. I would not room w/ people significantly younger than myself, unless its illegal to do so b/c guaranteed they won't think its any big deal to have their "posse" (aka, gang of friends) over all the time to hang out, eat your food and play video games on your TV and have the occasional party in which the cops are called for noise infractions. Also, make sure you room in a condo that doesn't have heavy doors that make a slamming noise every time you let the door close on its own, as well as a condo that has soundproof floors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 05:21 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottasay View Post
I would not room w/ people significantly younger than myself, unless its illegal to do so b/c guaranteed they won't think its any big deal to have their "posse" (aka, gang of friends) over all the time to hang out, eat your food and play video games on your TV and have the occasional party in which the cops are called for noise infractions.
I had a friend who was in her mid 30s when she tried rooming with a girl who was 24. It was a disaster. The younger girl didn't have a posse of friends coming over on a regular basis, but she did have a few friends who every once in awhile would drop by late at night, sometimes at 1 or 2 in the morning (or even later). They also had a habit of calling late at night. And, of course, the late night phone calls were the loud drama-filled ones.

When you're 24, 11 p.m. seems "early" and a reasonable time for friends to come over. Not so much at 35.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia