Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 12:42 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,325,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post

I would probably stay out of Manassas if commuting to Ft. Belvoir. You have to deal with a cross-county commute and then you join the masses to get into Ft. Belvoir.
The area of "Manassas" that is right next to Montclair, just on the other side of Spriggs Road wouldn't be bad, but that is about as far out as I would go.

Old 07-15-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
Also check out Belmont Bay. It's actually easier to get to I95 from Belmont than Lake Ridge, though the homes are more expensive. I remember spending 20-30 minutes just on Old Bridge Road before even getting on the I95 on some morning commutes!
How about areas of Woodbridge along Minnieville Road? Minnieville has been widened and from the point where it meets Old Bridge I don't think is too bad.

Old 07-15-2010, 12:57 PM

214 posts, read 488,154 times
If you are living somewhere in a big, new house with a nice yard, with good schools, why would you want to move here with a 350k budget? I mean this in the nicest possible way...why not stay in the area you are now? It sounds like the jobs your DH is considering aren't going to be paying enough to compensate for the difference in cost of living. So go through all the hassle and stress of moving, with kids, to end up worse off than you started? The areas people in this thread are mentioning are not places with the best public schools (Woodbridge, Manassas, Stafford).

Old 07-15-2010, 01:38 PM

13 posts, read 22,060 times
Hi and Thanks soo much everyone!! I'm grateful for all the suggestions and happy to have more things to research...

NYmoma2dallas, I def. get your point which is why this is a hard decision to make. Yes, we are very fortunate for where we are and don't have any complaints about our standard of living (N. Florida
~ work at NAS Jax), but my husband has really hit a glass ceiling and has been itching to to move forward in his career for a while now. At his level, with over 20 years experience, the majority of career options for him are going to be in and around DC because he's a civil servant. As far as the pay goes here, he is maxed at his currently pay level which means no more raises~ AT ALL~ for at least a few years until the pay scale catches up to him plus the work is mundane and unchallenging now and no where to promote to. That part stinks. He is the sole bread winner, so I value his career concerns and goals.

I think the pay he would be starting at for Ft. Belvior is a bit low for the area, but at least he would be back to the start of a new pay scale with the opportunity for raises again and the work is very exciting to him (Defense Logistics Agency). Admittedly, I am not entirely positive what we could afford for a home taking into account real estate taxes, etc., but I know I don't want to be "house poor" either....perhaps we may be able to reach closer to $400K, but I dont' think that makes a huge difference in NOVA ;-)

While I'm on a role here, LOL, just want to mention that what some may consider the "best schools" statistically aren't always what I would consider the best. Right now we are in the Best Schools area, and while test scores, stats. are good, the environment isn't necessarily what I would call the best (overcrowding, over-privledged kids and recreational drug use).

Old 07-15-2010, 01:46 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,666,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
Also check out Belmont Bay. It's actually easier to get to I95 from Belmont than Lake Ridge, though the homes are more expensive. I remember spending 20-30 minutes just on Old Bridge Road before even getting on the I95 on some morning commutes!

Yes, Belmont Bay is a great neighborhood but if memory serves me correctly, their pricing was running very close with Fairfax County pricing (specifically the Lorton area), so you had all the prices of Fairfax without the school system. But, if kids/schools weren't a factor it is an EXCELLENT location and nice neighborhood.

With the current real estate bust, maybe the prices are more in line/lower.

Old 07-15-2010, 01:50 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,666,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2cos View Post
NYmoma2dallas, I def. get your point which is why this is a hard decision to make. Yes, we are very fortunate for where we are and don't have any complaints about our standard of living (N. Florida
~ work at NAS Jax), but my husband has really hit a glass ceiling and has been itching to to move forward in his career for a while now. At his level, with over 20 years experience, the majority of career options for him are going to be in and around DC because he's a civil servant. As far as the pay goes here, he is maxed at his currently pay level which means no more raises~ AT ALL~ for at least a few years until the pay scale catches up to him plus the work is mundane and unchallenging now and no where to promote to. That part stinks. He is the sole bread winner, so I value his career concerns and goals.

I think the pay he would be starting at for Ft. Belvior is a bit low for the area, but at least he would be back to the start of a new pay scale with the opportunity for raises again and the work is very exciting to him (Defense Logistics Agency). Admittedly, I am not entirely positive what we could afford for a home taking into account real estate taxes, etc., but I know I don't want to be "house poor" either....perhaps we may be able to reach closer to $400K, but I dont' think that makes a huge difference in NOVA ;-)

While I'm on a role here, LOL, just want to mention that what some may consider the "best schools" statistically aren't always what I would consider the best. Right now we are in the Best Schools area, and while test scores, stats. are good, the environment isn't necessarily what I would call the best (overcrowding, over-privledged kids and recreational drug use).

I am also a civil servant and work for the Navy, albeit at the Navy Yard and not Ft. Belvoir. Coming to DC can be a great career move for a civil servant. The grades are often higher (as required to support yourself) but you often get put into positions that are "headquarters" level type jobs versus at the field and this can give you invaluable experience later on in your career. Sometimes coming to DC as a civil servant is a way to move on up and won't necessarily be the place you end up, though often it is.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:08 PM

4,437 posts, read 8,134,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
How about areas of Woodbridge along Minnieville Road? Minnieville has been widened and from the point where it meets Old Bridge I don't think is too bad.
Usually it's not too bad, but there are days where it takes forever to get to Gordon Blvd. Traffic stacks up from Minnieville just to get onto Old Bridge. Also during the summer, traffic is lighter but picks up again when school is back in session. When I could take HOV, I'd go to the Telegraph Road access instead of going down to Gordon.

While PWC schools aren't rated as high as FCPS, it's still rated very well.

PWC also has had great job growth: Prince William gets national nod for job growth | InsideNova.com (http://www2.insidenova.com/isn/news/local/article/prince_william_gets_national_nod_for_job_growth/60684/ - broken link)

Here is an interesting blurb about Dale City (a section of Woodbridge, VA): Where homes are affordable - Dale City, VA (15) - Money Magazine

Old 07-15-2010, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I am also a civil servant and work for the Navy, albeit at the Navy Yard and not Ft. Belvoir. Coming to DC can be a great career move for a civil servant. The grades are often higher (as required to support yourself) but you often get put into positions that are "headquarters" level type jobs versus at the field and this can give you invaluable experience later on in your career. Sometimes coming to DC as a civil servant is a way to move on up and won't necessarily be the place you end up, though often it is.
You hit the nail on the head Christine!! He has been doing mostly field work and some administration (though not really compensated for the supervision and administration he provides) in his current position. He really wants to move into "policy" and the "bigger picture" of things which is why all the jobs that appeal to him, besides being higher grade, are in and around DC :-)

Old 07-15-2010, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2cos View Post
perhaps we may be able to reach closer to $400K, but I dont' think that makes a huge difference in NOVA ;-)
Would you be willing to look at older homes (1960's)? There are some that I have seen pop up in the West Springfield area in the very low 400's. Is that pushing the price too much? Maybe you could save the difference in commuting costs?

Old 07-15-2010, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Would you be willing to look at older homes (1960's)? There are some that I have seen pop up in the West Springfield area in the very low 400's. Is that pushing the price too much? Maybe you could save the difference in commuting costs?
Probably built better than the newer ones LOL!! Thanks, I'll check that area out again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia