Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 07:31 AM

81 posts, read 357,056 times

Advertisements

I honestly don't know much about Prince William schools, but I have a friend who is a teacher in Bristow, and she is becoming more and more discouraged teaching there. She says there is an ever increasing ESL student population, and that some subjects, (Science is one) are hardly ever taught, because it takes so much time to teach to non english speaking students. She is a 5th grade teacher. She had several ESL students last year, some coming in the middle of the school year, and not speaking a word of English, yet they were placed in mainstream classrooms. I don't want to dissuade you from moving. I have never lived in PW County, but I found this information alarming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2007, 07:40 AM

110 posts, read 572,930 times
Thank you for all the responses and links. We are actually coming to visit in 3 weeks and I will be checking the schools in person. That is why I was asking for especific school names. Thank you again, Fab

Old 07-02-2007, 08:44 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seldomseen View Post
Well it appears as though many of us disagree with your generalization of the PWC public school systems. And PWC is hardly "ghetto" as you put it. lol People in NoVa really don't realize how good they have it! lol
I agree. I know a couple of areas i used to live (some of Hampton Roads, Sumter, SC) where those parents would kill to have their child to go to ANY school in NoVA.

Old 07-02-2007, 09:18 AM

86 posts, read 376,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohki View Post
I honestly don't know much about Prince William schools, but I have a friend who is a teacher in Bristow, and she is becoming more and more discouraged teaching there. She says there is an ever increasing ESL student population, and that some subjects, (Science is one) are hardly ever taught, because it takes so much time to teach to non english speaking students. She is a 5th grade teacher. She had several ESL students last year, some coming in the middle of the school year, and not speaking a word of English, yet they were placed in mainstream classrooms. I don't want to dissuade you from moving. I have never lived in PW County, but I found this information alarming.
That's not really just in PWC. All of the NOVA school districts are having high increases as far as their ESL population goes.

Old 07-02-2007, 10:20 AM

I think it is not only in NOVA, it is in the entire country. Some parts to a lesser degree than others. Just a reality we have to deal with today.
Any positive/negative facts about Cedar Point Elementary School, Bristow Run Elementary and Tyler Elementary School? Anyone here has kids on those schools? Thank you, Fab.

Old 07-02-2007, 10:33 AM

566 posts, read 2,985,576 times
I know families with children at all three schools and they all say that the schools are great. The kids in my neighborhood used to go to Tyler, but now go to Mountain View (where my son will start this year). I know some parents were complaining about the change b/c the "better teachers" are at Tyler, but I think some people just like to complain...

Old 07-02-2007, 11:14 AM

Thank you David827, I am hoping to visit all 3 schools when we come to check out the area. I also looked at their web sites, Cedar Point seems to be the newer of the 3, but that doesn't mean much, sometimes the older schools are more stablished. Thanks again!

Old 07-02-2007, 01:10 PM

81 posts, read 357,056 times
Bristow Run is the school my friend teaches at. By the way, she is not just into complaining, but as a teacher trying to teach ALL of her students, she finds it very frustrating to have to spend so much time disciphering her lessons and instructions to those not speaking english.

Again, I don't know alot about PW schools. Since the author of this thread was asking specifically about Bristow and Gainesville, I answered. By the way, I work in neighboring Fauquier County schools, where there is almost no ESL students. Infact the school I work at has none. Maybe Fauquier is not considered part of NoVa.

Old 07-03-2007, 01:17 AM

19 posts, read 94,468 times
My honest opinion is check out Midlothian/Chesterfield area of Central VA, way better community and schools

Old 07-03-2007, 04:47 AM

1 posts, read 5,660 times
pwc schools.... the websites do give alot of information concerning the school, but a personal tour will reveal alot of unreported things. It is best for you to tour the schools; do not go by website info.alone. I recently moved to the dumfries area and the school system is not up to par! The staff seems more interested in sending students to alternative schools. They are quick to suspend a child for fighting which I agree with if, the child is the bully, but I have a hard time understanding why they suspend the child that was attacked. Then to top it off they give the one that was attacked long term suspension and alternative school while the bully gets a pat on the back. The alternative school of choice is New Dominion the website is Prince William County Public Schools Web Site - Homepage
click on schools, directory of schools, alternative schools, new dominion. They proclaim that this school is a new chance for special population children, and for students short of hope. Sure! I want my child to go there! No-way!!!! It is filled with children who have weapons, drug, and gang related issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia