Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 12:10 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times

Advertisements

So, I'm sitting here at home surfing the net and my whole house just shook, windows rattled, etc. Wonder what THAT was? Even freaked out the dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 12:13 PM

947 posts, read 1,401,179 times
Maybe God just struck the Westboro Baptist Chutch loonies dead with a bolt of lightning when they were in Woodbridge today? Could we be so lucky?

Old 11-15-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICS67 View Post
Maybe God just struck the Westboro Baptist Chutch loonies dead with a bolt of lightning when they were in Woodbridge today? Could we be so lucky?
Now that's a nice thought!! I actually drove past Woodbridge H.S. today (about 1:00 p.m.) and saw nothing overtly out of the ordinary. But I forgot about them being there today. Maybe it is tonight?

Old 11-15-2010, 01:46 PM

303 posts, read 591,970 times
I'm in Bristow and work from home. It happened here also but happens quite a bit. It's normally from Quantico and them doing their practice drills. Most of the time they put in the Potomac Journal when it is going to happen. I've lived here for over 7 years and it happens all the time. Pretty amazing considering the mile distance from Quantico to Bristow but they say it depends on how the weather is (makes the earth shake more) and today is pretty cloudy/chilly.

Old 11-15-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFan View Post
I'm in Bristow and work from home. It happened here also but happens quite a bit. It's normally from Quantico and them doing their practice drills. Most of the time they put in the Potomac Journal when it is going to happen. I've lived here for over 7 years and it happens all the time. Pretty amazing considering the mile distance from Quantico to Bristow but they say it depends on how the weather is (makes the earth shake more) and today is pretty cloudy/chilly.

Interesting. I'm never at home (always in DC during the day). It was very quiet and then out of nowhere the whole house shook, windows rattled, I felt it move. I figured that it was one of those odd earthquakes or something blew up even though I heard nothing. Well, I guess it was Quantico then. My son goes to school very close to Quantico and felt nothing.

Old 11-15-2010, 02:17 PM

628 posts, read 1,933,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFan View Post
I doubt the earth is shaking. Rather the percussion from artillery firings can bend downward more rather than dispersed upward under certain weather conditions. It's that shock wave hitting your house that shakes it.

Old 11-15-2010, 03:47 PM

25 posts, read 64,818 times
Quantico Sentry - NOISE ADVISORY

Old 11-15-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcreteShoeMan View Post
Well, there you go. Thanks!

Old 11-15-2010, 04:03 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Sorry to here there was a logical explanation. I liked the theory that God was rattling the ground t shake up the WBC!

Old 11-15-2010, 04:38 PM

303 posts, read 591,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statecollege View Post
I doubt the earth is shaking. Rather the percussion from artillery firings can bend downward more rather than dispersed upward under certain weather conditions. It's that shock wave hitting your house that shakes it.
I didn't mean literally that the earth was shaking but that is what it feels like when it happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia