Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 10:42 PM

404 posts, read 1,096,443 times

Advertisements

I pay around 160 a month for 25Up/Down, and the "mid" HD tier, plus HBO and Skinimax
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2010, 05:17 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,693,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by info781 View Post
If you have Comcast and FIOS access at your address, tell Comcast you are going to end the service. About two weeks later they will phone you and make a deal. You just have to keep doing that, I know it is a pain, but they really do not want to lose a customer. You should be able to get the promotional rate all the time.
I had Comcast, told them of my package with FiOS, and they really couldn't beat it.

Old 11-20-2010, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDShadow View Post
Verizon's site is pretty funky. Seems lots of the best bundle prices are for NEW customers only (long-time customers get hosed).

They have a nice bundle for existing customers (even says in the fine print that it's for people who purchase a new bundle) that's online only but never available when I try to go through the links to order.

Gonna have to call and find out more, apparently phone reps feign ignorance of the online specials or can't honor them as they're online only (which don't work online...).

I was already an existing Verizon customer (phone and internet) but I did not have FiOS, so I guess I was new. I never got on the phone with anyone because I hate that so I just went online and "ordered" everything I wanted so I could get a bottom line price and that's where I got the $109 bundle price with the 25/25 internet speed (I bumped that up myself when I was choosing because I didn't want the lowest speed). I swear, the bundle price did not change when I bumped up the speed but my memory is fuzzy on this (did it back in May 2010).

Old 01-20-2011, 10:37 PM

8 posts, read 95,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I was already an existing Verizon customer (phone and internet) but I did not have FiOS, so I guess I was new. I never got on the phone with anyone because I hate that so I just went online and "ordered" everything I wanted so I could get a bottom line price and that's where I got the $109 bundle price with the 25/25 internet speed (I bumped that up myself when I was choosing because I didn't want the lowest speed). I swear, the bundle price did not change when I bumped up the speed but my memory is fuzzy on this (did it back in May 2010).
I am also in VA 23320 and the online price for Extreme is 104.99. I got a cheaper price by phone. It may be a headache sometimes but it is worth it in the end. Plus, I got a Free HD DVR (15.99) + Free Movie Package + Epic for 1 yr those were the promo when I signed up. But since I have a Home DVR (19.99) I pay $4. I was actually promised an HBO but since it wasn't the promo accdg to the other CS I was given a credit for HBO 3 Mos instead on top of the other free stuff. Actually I was promised way more on the phone but of course if you don't have a proof it is hard but you just got to fight not upset but be firm and talk to the right people I guess. If online the only free stuff is the DVR when you call on the phone you can actually get a movie or HBO for 3 mos for free. All you need to do is ask.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:44 PM

8 posts, read 95,476 times
Quote:
Okay here's the breakdown:

Fios Triple Play - $109.00
(includes Phone, Fios Extreme HD TV, Fios Internet 25/25)
Multi-Room DVR for 3 rooms - $33.99
All Access Movie Package (HBO/Showtime/Cinemax/STARZ, etc) - $36.00
Digital Adapter for 2 older TVs = $7.95
Intenet Security for 3 computers - $5.99
Taxes & Fees - $19.00

Total is $211.93
Hi Christine what do you mean with Multi-Rm DVR for 3 Rooms? 3 Multi-room DVRS? Or 1 Multi-room plus 2 hd dvr or 1 Multi-room plus 2 Std or 2 HD boxes? Because 1 Multi-Room is just $19.99 and you only need 1 Multi-Rm, so what did you have for the other 2 rooms? Thanks

Old 01-21-2011, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justhave2saysomething View Post
Hi Christine what do you mean with Multi-Rm DVR for 3 Rooms? 3 Multi-room DVRS? Or 1 Multi-room plus 2 hd dvr or 1 Multi-room plus 2 Std or 2 HD boxes? Because 1 Multi-Room is just $19.99 and you only need 1 Multi-Rm, so what did you have for the other 2 rooms? Thanks
I have 3 rooms that have a DVR. One of them is the multi-room. The other two are regular DVRs. If you have do not a regular DVR box in those rooms you can't make use of the multiroom function. For instance, in the two rooms that I have a set top box, I can't watch what was recorded on the multiroom DVR.

So I have one multiroom DVR in my family room, a regular DVR in the basement, and a regular DVR in my daughter's room. In the basement and my daughter's room, they can record their own shows and watch independently. In the family room I can record, say Modern Family, and my daughter can watch it in her room or in the basement also, even though it wasn't recorded on those devices. But they do have to be that type of device and not the set top box.

Old 01-21-2011, 05:17 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,459,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
Hi, I am paying about $110 for Comcast basic crap cable and regular speed internet, which I think is 6 megabit down. I think the price is outrageous. I was wondering if anyone here would care to share the price after tax for FiOS. I need Internet access, so cutting over to Satellite is not feasible.
We had the very, very basic service from Comcast - the one they don't offer to new customers - and their 2nd tier Internet service (15MB download), and were paying $116. Then we got an offer in the mail, saying we could upgrade to their "digital starter" service and pay the same amount for a digital converter and LOTS more channels.

So I went to the local (Dale City) Comcast office and spoke to one of their customer service people. What I ended up with was their digital preferred service (even more channels, but no pay channels) and an upgrade on the Internet service (25MB download ... and I tested it - it really is 25MB) for $104/month for the next year.

That gives Verizon another year to make whatever final connections they need to make with all the cable they buried in the neighborhood several months ago, and then I'll see what they have to offer. It will be excellent to have choices.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:15 AM

105 posts, read 390,955 times
$55 a month for just internet. i think i have the 15 mb down option.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:35 AM

63 posts, read 225,577 times
Quote:
I have 3 rooms that have a DVR. One of them is the multi-room. The other two are regular DVRs. If you have do not a regular DVR box in those rooms you can't make use of the multiroom function. For instance, in the two rooms that I have a set top box, I can't watch what was recorded on the multiroom DVR.

So I have one multiroom DVR in my family room, a regular DVR in the basement, and a regular DVR in my daughter's room. In the basement and my daughter's room, they can record their own shows and watch independently. In the family room I can record, say Modern Family, and my daughter can watch it in her room or in the basement also, even though it wasn't recorded on those devices. But they do have to be that type of device and not the set top box.
Hey Christine, you may want to give Verizon a call on that. I just got FIOS a few months ago (22192), and we have a multiroom DVR on the ground floor of our townhome, and we have a normal HD box in our bedroom, and it is able to stream from the box downstairs. Maybe it's because our bedroom box is an HD box, I dunno, but can't tell from your post if the other DVRs are for standard definition, or if they are HD.

Either way, I love my FIOS. One thing that people don't know, is that you can have a hardwired internet connection in any room if you use their wireless router. For example, our verizon wireless router is on the 2nd floor of our 3 floor townhome, but I wanted a wired internet connection where the home theater is to plug in the TV, Xbox, and DVD player (they all can stream movies, music, etc), I didn't want to use wireless because the singnal was weak. SO instead of running a LAN cable from the 2nd floor to the 1st floor, I picked up a MOCA bridge from an online retailer for 60 bucks. You can plug that in the coax and get a wired internet connection, again, as long as you are using the Verizon router they supplied. Comcast couldn't do that one. I asked the installer about doing that and he said that it does work, they just don't supply the MOCA bridges. Best thing ever! Thought about buying a few more for the rooms where we do have a coax plug so I can get ride of wireless internet all together.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibecowtippin View Post
Hey Christine, you may want to give Verizon a call on that. I just got FIOS a few months ago (22192), and we have a multiroom DVR on the ground floor of our townhome, and we have a normal HD box in our bedroom, and it is able to stream from the box downstairs. Maybe it's because our bedroom box is an HD box, I dunno, but can't tell from your post if the other DVRs are for standard definition, or if they are HD.
I have 3 HD TVs. One of them has the HD Multi DVR box, the other two have HD DVR boxes. My "old" TVs have set top boxes. What do your HD boxes look like and do the record?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia