Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 11:15 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,446,471 times

Advertisements

In the next several posts I will be sharing some pictures of Dale City that I took over the last couple of days.

My wife and I (and our then very small two children) moved to Dale City in February of 1981, and we've been here ever since. In that time, we've lived in four houses - very different styles and in very different neighborhoods - and each seemed to an appropriate match for our income, the ages of our children, and number/type of our pets, and what we were looking for in a house.

Dale City covers approximately 15 square miles and runs along & on either side of Dale Blvd from I-95 in the east to Hoadly Road in the west. Construction began in 1965 and continues to this day, although at a much slower pace.

Here then are some pictures, with a running commentary.
Attached Thumbnails
Photo Tour of Dale City-dalecity01.jpg   Photo Tour of Dale City-dalecity02.jpg   Photo Tour of Dale City-dalecity03.jpg   Photo Tour of Dale City-dalecity04.jpg   Photo Tour of Dale City-dalecity05.jpg  

Photo Tour of Dale City-dalecity06.jpg   Photo Tour of Dale City-dalecity07.jpg   Photo Tour of Dale City-dalecity08.jpg   Photo Tour of Dale City-dalecity09.jpg   Photo Tour of Dale City-dalecity10.jpg  

Photo Tour of Dale City-dalecity11.jpg   Photo Tour of Dale City-dalecity12.jpg   Photo Tour of Dale City-dalecity13.jpg   Photo Tour of Dale City-dalecity14.jpg   Photo Tour of Dale City-dalecity15.jpg  

Photo Tour of Dale City-dalecity16.jpg   Photo Tour of Dale City-dalecity17.jpg   Photo Tour of Dale City-dalecity18.jpg   Photo Tour of Dale City-dalecity19.jpg   Photo Tour of Dale City-dalecity20.jpg  

Photo Tour of Dale City-dalecity21.jpg   Photo Tour of Dale City-dalecity22.jpg   Photo Tour of Dale City-dalecity23.jpg   Photo Tour of Dale City-dalecity24.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2010, 11:22 AM

We start our tour at the beginning of Dale City. This sign appears on Dale Blvd just west of I-95, heading west.

A view of Dale Blvd west, with Ashdale on the right. In general, the oldest houses/neighborhoods are found on the eastern end of Dale City, with newer homes being found to the west. The various neighborhoods were given "dale" names ... Ashdale, Birchdale, Cherrydale, and so on. The further you travel from I-95 along Dale Blvd, the further you get in the alphabet.

Birchdale Rec Center - outside pool, tennis and basketball courts.

A typical Birchdale street - houses built in the mid-1960s. These houses tend to be somewhat small, with capes, ramblers, and ranches, and lots of brick.

Some older townhouses in Birchdale, built in 1970. When we moved to Dale City, we rented one of these townhouses.

Dale City Elementary School, located in Birchdale. I suspect that given its location and name, this was the first elementary school built in Dale City.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:25 AM

Dale City's newest fire station, located on Dale Blvd prior to Cherrydale and Barksdale communities.

Small group of townhouses in Cloverdale. Most of Cloverdale was built in 1968 or so, but these townhouses were built in 2002. As Dale City was built, large and small pockets of undeveloped land were left behind, and later were used for different reasons, but mostly for housing. For example, the townhouse community of Cherrydale was built almost 20 years after Cloverdale.

Cloverdale Park - football and baseball fields, tennis and basketball courts, picnic area, playground, etc. It was here in the parking lot where I helped our kids learn to ride a bike.

I guess it had been a little while since I had driven down Cloverdale, because the last time I was there, these condos were not.

A view of Dale Blvd at Cloverdale, looking west towards the traffic light at Darbydale/Forestdale.

Minnieville Road heading south towards Dale Blvd.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:30 AM

Dale City Rec Center on Minnieville south of Dale Blvd.

The Dale City Neighborhood Library. Prince William County has several regional libraries and a few neighborhood libraries.

Looking east on Dale Blvd. On the part of Dale Blvd between Glendale and Kirkdale where this picture was taken, houses were built that fronted on Dale Blvd. But east of Glendale and west of Kirkdale, houses back to Dale Blvd, and that makes the road less congested.

The Hylton Boys and Girls Club, on Dale Blvd just prior to Ridgefield Road, a major connector to the Prince William County Parkway.

Dale City also had a very popular ice skating rink (the Prince William Ice Center) until the heavy snows of last winter caused the roof to collapse. I understand it's to be rebuilt.

One of the newer houses in the Queensdale community.

Last edited by GreenGene; 11-21-2010 at 11:36 AM.. Reason: can't tell my east from my west!

Old 11-21-2010, 11:32 AM

And one of the slightly older sections of Queensdale.

The playground at the Andrew Leitch Regional Park on Dale Blvd. between Mapledale and Princedale, and opposite Nottingdale. The park includes a waterpark, soccer field, baseball and softball fields, and a basketball court.

A trail, and bridge over Neabsco Creek, at the park - great for dog-walking.

Some houses in the Trentdale community.

And some townhouses in Trentdale.

Finally, a picture of Dale Blvd at Trendale, shortly before it ends at Hoadly. A left on Hoadly will take you to Rt 234 and either Manassas to the right or I-95 to the left. A right on Hoadly will take you to the Prince William Parkway and either Manassas to the left or I-95 to the right.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:36 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,654,531 times
GreenGene,

Excellent photos!! I'm going to try to get my daughter's camera and also get some Dale City photos. I live off Cardinal Drive, which is considered Dale City, but is not part of the planned development (although I get hit with the Dale Service Corp sewage bill).

Can't wait to see more!

Old 11-21-2010, 01:30 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,077,481 times
These are great! Good job!

Old 11-21-2010, 01:45 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,783,646 times
Thanks for the great tour! I love the narration, too. I like when cities have an order to their streets; it makes it so much easier to get around.

Old 11-21-2010, 01:55 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,941,346 times
Looks like a nice place to live. Excellent job!

Old 11-21-2010, 02:12 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,238,039 times
This is not a dig on Dale City but it is amazing how beautiful foilage on trees can make just about any area look nicer. It's no secret I'm not a fan of much of Dale City but even the color adds charm. The further west you go in Dale City towards Manassas the neighborhoods are newer and of course more modern and usually nicer looking as evident by a couple pics. Like the one in Queensdale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia